Author Topic: 2021 Target TVC Blue Leader's X-Wing with General Merrick  (Read 13275 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: TVC Blue Leader's X-Wing with General Merrick
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 02:46 PM »
That's true Nick, but they've been releasing carded figures in the playsets, so maybe they are going to follow that model from now on.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 05:12 PM »
That's true Nick, but they've been releasing carded figures in the playsets, so maybe they are going to follow that model from now on.

And they've done Carded figures (albeit variants) as pack-ins with the Haslab Sail Barge and three carded figures with the Razor Crest too.

I feel for the carded collectors... or really anyone who wants Merrick but not the ship.

I am a sucker for new X-Wing repaints, so I'm not too upset by this one.  My goal will be to try and pick this up when Target is running one of their $25 off $100 coupons - $75 for a new X-Wing repaint and new TVC Merrick is worth it to me. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 05:35 PM »
My goal will be to try and pick this up when Target is running one of their $25 off $100 coupons - $75 for a new X-Wing repaint and new TVC Merrick is worth it to me.

I'm thinking the same thing, but I'm wondering if this is going to be gone quickly and thus I need to pre-order.  I'm hoping the price point and exclusivity is enough that these will be around for the six months that might be necessary to take advantage of one of those coupons.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 05:45 PM »
I feel opposite of many. I love this X Wing but probably would have passed for $75 by itself. With a $25 TVC figure included I have an excuse to buy it.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 05:57 PM »
I feel opposite of many. I love this X Wing but probably would have passed for $75 by itself. With a $25 TVC figure included I have an excuse to buy it.

I could be tempted to take the figure off your hands for $25 if you don't want it.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 07:15 PM »

I could be tempted to take the figure off your hands for $25 if you don't want it.

I didn't express myself well (I seldomly do). I would have wanted the X Wing on it's own but would have passed but been disappointed to do so. With the figure it makes me feel like I need the fig so much I'll buy the set and be happy I was "forced" to buy the x wing.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 07:19 PM »
I’m with you Dave.  I want the figure.  I want Hasbro to stick to recording stuff for pack-ins and not this new figure in a ship not everyone wants BS.  This is a bad trend imo.

That said, I’m happy there’s a Merrick figure.  I’m just bummed he’s basically a $75-$100 figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 07:23 PM »
Sounds like a good way to make $ and how is it a new thing (excluding the carded part)? Guess my memory is bad.

I am or was missing multiple pilots back in the day after skipping repaint vehicles
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:26 PM by GrandMoffNick »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 09:58 PM »
New for things currently, maybe.  It’s been a while since they’ve done a new figure as a pack-in, much less so one for what will be a $100 vehicle.

As far as making $....  I’m not so sure there is gonna be a deep market for a ship sans the figure at anything but a steep discount.  Not saying I wouldn’t try, but let’s say you get the ship for $75...  I can’t see anyone getting much more than $50 for the ship and I think that’s generous really.  How many XWings can people want ya know?  Space being finite and all.  I don’t see many wanting to squad build it so opportunity may be pretty slim to unload the XWing.  Either way ya slice it, if you don’t want the ship, I think you’re just going to be paying a steep price for a new figure.  That sucks. 

They could wind up producing tons of the XW tho and it goes on steep discount like the Jabba Palace did, so you never know.  I just don’t like the idea of $100 ships with new figures in them, be it 1999 or now. 🤷‍♂️
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 02:49 PM »
I don't know, I can see not wanting the X-wing because of space, but I'm actually pumped about this ship and the figure, so I guess I'm the target (no pun intended) audience here. I'd be happy to buy the ship off of anyone, but I'm also going to buy one full set as well. Not building a squad, but I wouldn't pass up having two blue squadron X-wings.

What I've heard many times is that the 3.75" figure line has never been super profitable, but Hasbro/Kenner made their money from the ships and playsets. The figures help support that and sell more vehicles. The problem is that now most collectors absolutely will not buy a vehicle unless it's on deep discount—and I mean like last-chance clearance. They even start cursing out Hasbro that they can't find it on clearance anywhere, balk when the clearance price is too high, and demand that other collectors find the ship on clearance for them. The fact is, there won't be a line if the fanbase is only buying things on clearance. I'll buy extras at discount, but I always tend to get at least one at full price.

The other problem is actually finding the ******* thing and/or being able to order it.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 04:29 AM »
I think that’s a reason this is exclusive but you wait and see everyone pitch a conniption over the price and somehow think Hasbro should offer it less for weird reasons like it being a repaint (like depreciating costs of the molds somehow gets passed onto the consimer).

I mean I’m not happy about it but I’ll still buy the ship at full price most likely cuz I want the figure and that’s that, ya know?  If I can sell the ship then cool.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 11:22 AM »
Just seeing this about Blue Leader’s X-Wing... I like it! Now if only I can find one come this fall.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 04:44 PM »
I don't know, I can see not wanting the X-wing because of space, but I'm actually pumped about this ship and the figure, so I guess I'm the target (no pun intended) audience here. I'd be happy to buy the ship off of anyone, but I'm also going to buy one full set as well. Not building a squad, but I wouldn't pass up having two blue squadron X-wings.

What I've heard many times is that the 3.75" figure line has never been super profitable, but Hasbro/Kenner made their money from the ships and playsets. The figures help support that and sell more vehicles. The problem is that now most collectors absolutely will not buy a vehicle unless it's on deep discount—and I mean like last-chance clearance. They even start cursing out Hasbro that they can't find it on clearance anywhere, balk when the clearance price is too high, and demand that other collectors find the ship on clearance for them. The fact is, there won't be a line if the fanbase is only buying things on clearance. I'll buy extras at discount, but I always tend to get at least one at full price.

The other problem is actually finding the ******* thing and/or being able to order it.

I agree with all this.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Merrick's x-wing may outsell the recent releases of Poe's X-wing & Luke's X-wing as there will be some people trying to build up a blue squadron display. Maybe we need a new mold of a Y-wing to add a second blue squadron ship release.
Macklunkey!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 08:34 PM »
I mean I’m not happy about it but I’ll still buy the ship at full price most likely cuz I want the figure and that’s that, ya know?  If I can sell the ship then cool.

If you're having trouble selling the X-Wing, then your old buddy Lando is here. ;)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 08:35 PM »

I agree with all this.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Merrick's x-wing may outsell the recent releases of Poe's X-wing & Luke's X-wing as there will be some people trying to build up a blue squadron display. Maybe we need a new mold of a Y-wing to add a second blue squadron ship release.

The Y-Wing would be a dream come true. That's really my most wanted resculpt ship, followed very closely by the B-Wing. If Hasbro ever wants to try smaller ships in Haslab, I'd be all over those two.