Author Topic: 2023 TVC Wave 4 (New TVC Wave 30)  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2023 TVC Wave 4 (New TVC Wave 30)
« on: February 2, 2023, 12:59 AM »
Not 100% confirmed, but it looks like these guys are all in the same wave....  I can't tell if Howzer is in this wave too or not?

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 2023 TVC Wave 4 (New TVC Wave 30)
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2023, 09:00 AM »
I wasn't thrilled about the Vader during the livestream, but seeing it now, I like it.  A Dark Times Vader with a removeable helmet and severed hand.  Could be the definitive Vader.

The Han....I like the updates, but we just got the Endor Han about a year ago...at least they improved the head sculpt and the articulation.

We knew Weequay was coming for a while...a great re-release for those who missed him the first time.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2023, 10:40 AM »
Just an FYI - This wave has a NEW Assortment number - F6878 (the previous assortment number is E7763). 

That will drive a new DPCI at Target and hopefully drive the excess Kuiil, Lando and Reva figures to clearance this summer...
« Last Edit: February 2, 2023, 10:46 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2023, 11:46 AM »
The Han.... at least they improved the head sculpt and the articulation.

Really?  It looks off to me.  Looks more like a certain politician from Florida.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2023, 01:38 PM »
For those who didn't see the fanstream, Emily mentioned they were able to add detail to the interior of Vader's helmet that wasn't possible with the wax models from yesteryear.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2023, 01:42 PM »
Really?  It looks off to me.  Looks more like a certain politician from Florida.

Looking at the figure in the livestream...the face actually looks like an improvement.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2023, 03:42 PM »
Looking at the livestream...the face actually looks like an improvement.

Emily?
« Last Edit: February 2, 2023, 03:42 PM by Dave »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2023, 06:25 PM »
Overall for the wave, meh. Like others have said already -- given the combination of knowing these figures were in the pipeline & the fact that these are all either repacks, retools, or updates to figures we've gotten recently -- it's hard for me to get too excited for any of these. While I'll be glad to have the updates I really wish these slots could have gone to unmade characters or figures in desperate need of an update.

I missed the Weequay the first time around and never wanted to pay secondary market prices for one, so I'm happy to get him. Do we know if he will reuse the VC107 numbering slot, or are they renumbering him?

Han looks pretty good to me, even the headsculpt. He's not perfect but this feels like an improvement. The body looks to be a drastic improvement and a complete redo of the tired, skinny version that we've been getting since 2004. I wish they would have included his trench coat. Overall though, this wouldn't have been that high up on my wishlist, especially since we just had the photoreal version of VC62 1.5 years ago...

Vader, while just another version of the Vader we got in 2022... The figure looks great.
"This is the way."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: February 3, 2023, 10:42 AM »
I'm really happy with how that Vader turned out. And I'm also happy that they got the life support controls painted accurately for ROTJ, rather than just using the same Kenobi ones. I'd love to have him sitting in a meditation chamber, but at this point I think I'll have to wait until someone has a 3d printed kit on ebay or etsy, because Hasbro doesn't really make much of anything anymore.

To be fair, there was an extremely low bar to clear for Endor Han, and I'm looking forward to him. I really would have wanted rocker ankles and the new barbell hips, but I'll be ******* psyched to get this atrocity off my shelf...

« Last Edit: February 3, 2023, 10:59 AM by Jeff »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 3, 2023, 02:13 PM »
I think this is shaping up to be a decent ROTJ wave.  The Vader looks fantastic.  But I've seen a decent amount of criticism about the likeness.  And I think it's fair, because I think the facial expression looks more like Hayden Christensen when the helmet is being lowered onto him in the OWK series.  The Legacy Collection #08 Vader might have a better Sebastian Shaw likeness.

I also suspect that the new Vader is probably built on the Dark Times Vader body that we got last year.  That's not a terrible thing in the least, because that's a fantastic Darth Vader.  But I also see Hasbro attempting to leverage that tooling for future releases.  I suspect that body will also be the basis for the Vader in the pipeline 2-pack.

This update to Han Solo (Endor) was overdue.  Why Hasbro deemed the VTSC figure to be worthy of carrying forward into TVC 1.0 is beyond me.  Because that image tells you everything.  The lower body/legs aren't anywhere close to being in proportion to the body.  So naturally Hasbro re-issued that crap VC062 figure in 2021!

The new version of Han definitely gets past the issues of things being proportional.  Evidently the lower body and legs came from the VC124 Han Solo from SOLO.  Personally, I think it's an improvement over what we had.  But if you were to go on some of the hardcore TVC groups they regard it like a crime against humanity that the new Endor Han Solo didn't get barbell hips.  I think one of the greatest challenges with this figure is nailing Harrison Ford's likeness and the hair.  His hair in ROTJ was a little big.  The face looks good from the left side, but a little weird from the right.  I'm looking forward to seeing a production sample soon.

The Weequay is a smart reissue.  It's from that last wave of TVC 1.0 that was an online exclusive.  I got one when it was current, but that wave as a whole got scarce in a hurry.  I'd like to have one carded, and there also seems to be more Weequays populating the Mandoverse.  So these guys can fill out some scenes.  I know that some customizers like getting Weequays in order to make the "Defenestrated Weequay" from the Sail Barge.  I had to look that up in the dictionary.  I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised to learn that it means to be thrown out a window.

I'm curious to see how the rest of the wave shakes out.  I suspect we'll be getting more ROTJ offerings.  When we see them remains to be seen.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2023, 05:11 PM »
Want to make it a good ROTJ wave?  Throw in Sim Aloo, or an Ewok that hasn't been made before, or a new Jabba goon that hasn't been made before...

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2023, 05:48 PM »
Want to make it a good ROTJ wave?  Throw in Sim Aloo, or an Ewok that hasn't been made before, or a new Jabba goon that hasn't been made before...

Agreed. 

I don't need a better Han or better Vader.  While the zillions of versions we have now may not be perfect, I can live with them and will likely skip these versions as I just don't need another Han and Vader that is 95% the same as ones I already have.

I'd so, so much rather have something new.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: February 3, 2023, 07:05 PM »

He's not a never-before made character, but I'd **** my pants for a Squidface that was given the same level of love as last year's Bib Fortuna.

That said, I really need a Fozec before the line ends.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2023, 07:12 PM »

He's not a never-before made character, but I'd **** my pants for a Squidface that was given the same level of love as last year's Bib Fortuna.

That said, I really need a Fozec before the line ends.

And honestly the current Hasbro team could pull it off in their current style by just taking Bib and giving him different soft goods, head and hands.

Then rinse and repeat for Sim Aloo.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 4, 2023, 12:07 AM »
I’m not even against Hasbro using molds to make more than one figure.  They’ve got a massive repository of parts and whatever.  I just wish they’d use that approach way more creatively.  Axe Woves and Koska Reeves were good examples of what they can do, and they delivered unique characters that weren’t expensive to produce.  Of course… they also charged insane prices for them…