Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 6  (Read 94188 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 6
« Reply #225 on: March 15, 2011, 04:08 AM »
Wow, for me that pic just reinforces to me how good the old one looks with the new one...

Here's an interesting thing on the height issue too...  It's not that tall (the new one) really.  It's got a lot of ankle "body glove" exposed for some reason as well, which seems odd, but wasn't painted anyhow.  I think the boot/shin armor were pretty compact on the film models, so that's odd but adds to the height...  It's not that different though.

To me that pic really shows how the old and new blend together pretty well though...  I'm glad for that because I don't like figures looking odd together for sure.  It's like the astromech thing...  Bar2's not too bad next to the previous sculpt astromechs so I was pleased it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating.

Here's some food for thought on the helmet in particular...  And why I think the new one is too large ultimately.

The head isn't made small, which is pretty necessary ultimately, if you want an accurate scale helmet.  I've watched 501st guys who put their helmets on, and even with the "give" of the human head (hair/skin able to compress), the Phase 1 helmet seems like it has to be turned to put it on and off a real human being wearing what I would assume is the most accurate "real" armor that one can get...  Stormtrooper helmets don't seem to need that but every guy in Clone armor I've seen has to do that to take it off, so I gather it's not that roomy.

Now, the new Clone figure's head is perfectly scaled to the body I believe (seems it to me anyway)...  It's not got the "pinhead" thing going on that Cody does so the helmet fits better.  This was something other toy companies actually faced...  they had to make smaller figures to fit in vehicles at first because the cockpits and stuff didn't allow for the compression of pants and the human body to fit into the tight spaces, and accuracy of the toy meant the figure was sacrificed, so ultimately a figure significantly smaller was the pack-in.  But the new Clone's helmet actually falls off it rather easily.

So with that I still like the old SA sculpt helmet better for accuracy, but for "fun" for me I like removable helmets so I like the new one better for that...  I really feel like those photos just really show how well old and new blend though.  I've not really had my old and new guys lined up like that, so that's a good pic.

I really love the hips and wrist joints...  I'm glad to see these turning up in new figures more now.  I hope Hasbro keeps that going...  I'd like to see it on a few others.  I can live without the wrists, but man it's a cool point of articulation.  And the hip joints are really the only way armored figures can kneel properly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30 AM »
The old one is fine.  I like the new one for better poses, finally has the big damn rifle, and the helmet is nicer IMO.  I am not getting rid of the old ones though.  I don't really army build that much so I won't be spending hundreds on it.  A few here and there, etc.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52 AM »
I'd say that the statue-like 2002 releases capture the truer look of the phase 1 clone helmet. Neither the pop-on ball socket head nor a removable helmet capture the onscreen look of the clones, which is a much more sealed in appearance. But I haven't even seen the new phase 1 figure.

I also thought the 2005 phase 2 quick draw clone was better in some areas than the beloved #41 (such as the ability to sit, and having less neck joint exposed).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:57 AM by scockery »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55 AM »
While I have a particular fondness for the original 2003 SA version, I have to admit that Jack makes a strong argument. Haven't got one myself yet, but even when I do start finding them, I'm not going to replace my army either.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 15, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Best of both worlds is where it's at.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:25 AM by 501ST »
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #230 on: March 15, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Wow this thread got fired up, I love it!

Proportionally and detail wise the new Phase 1 Clone smokes the old one in screen accuracy in my opinion. I want to point out another edge the new one has is the armor has a slight molded texture that gives it a flat and more realistic look. It no longer looks like shiny plastic like the old one, the old clone has a really shiny chest/torso. The Phase 2 clones were not as shiny as the old Phase 1 but it still had a plasticy look.

As I said the old clone is still a great figure but he is very action figurey when compared to the new one (I am using the "y" ending thing for a lot of words today). He is thicker and look heroically muscular like a kids toy. (Yes, I know it's still a toy but let's face it the Vintage line is geared more for adult collectors) FYI -The old AT-RT driver looks like the chubby younger brother compared to the new one. I do like the old Clones shoes better, the sole with the traction looked cool, that my only "complaint" on the new one. I will take better pics tonight, I was up really late last night so I rushed them.

My old clone army is fired. I already began selling them. Please Hasbro, sell these by the case to an online retailer. I would by 4-6 cases.

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 15, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Fired  :o. What are old clones to do in this job market?

I never even fired my POTF2 Stormtroopers, in fact I picked up 5 more last year at a yard sale.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2011, 01:15 PM »
I never even fired my POTF2 Stormtroopers, in fact I picked up 5 more last year at a yard sale.

Want some more???
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Fired  :o. What are old clones to do in this job market?

LONG LIVE THE 90'S!!!

I still like this rifle the best. I still use it in my collection with my Legacy EU Spacetroopers. It looks great with them!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I remember when the Commtech Stormtrooper came out, thinking what a leap forward that was.  I honestly think that this new vintage clone is nearly that level of a jump forward.  I just hope they get the Phase 2 removable helmets figured out and they look as sharp as these Phase 1 versions do.

Also, I'm not sure solid cases are a good idea, but a battle pack with 3 all white ones and one yellow or red one would be terrific.  However Hasbro seems to be against realistic style battle packs these days.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 15, 2011, 05:11 PM »
The new clone would be 100% perfect it weren't for the legs.  They're too thin.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #236 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33 PM »

The thinness of the legs is one thing, but the thing that bothers me on the  new one is that clearly there are gaps at the armor on the new figure that are nowhere near that large on the actual character model used in the movie...  Look at the shoulders, hips (though they're not bad, but the character image is him walking/moving too, not "standing"), elbows...  If the ankles were painted (the body glove is even sculpted, just not painted), there'd be a larger gap there.

I think that's maybe something done for range of movement, so for me I like it for playability...  But for accuracy, that's simply not right compared to that character model image...  at least by what I'm seeing there.  The armor fits pretty tight together it seems.  But hey, it's still a good figure to me, I just see flaws I guess.  Everything has something wrong with it though.  If there's one thing I learned when I started doing reviews back on CSW's forum, it's that nothing is perfect by any stretch, haha.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:35 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Wave 6 is up at HTS.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered