Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 41235 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Kenobi (Disney+) - (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2022, 04:16 PM »
One thing I really do hope this series explores is Obi-Wan dealing with PTSD and the loss of the Jedi Order.

PTSD - Post-Traumatic Sith Disorder?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2022, 04:42 PM »
One thing I really do hope this series explores is Obi-Wan dealing with PTSD and the loss of the Jedi Order.

I think they have a great opportunity to cover this subject....especially because of the suicide rate among veterans.

I think it’s an incredibly important subject.  And Star Wars has addressed some of the major issues of our times.  If there’s any kind of a comparable subject within Star Wars, it could be the state of the retired Clone Army.  Millions of clones don’t just disappear after all. 

The mental health of veterans is a subject that needs to be addressed with great care.  Is this series the right vehicle to try to touch on that?  I don’t know.  I appreciate how “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier” took on some uncomfortable issues.  And I think it landed with some of the audience, but it might have been lost on other segments. 

I think the core of this is probably going to be about how Obi-Wan is dealing with the ramifications of the fall of the Jedi Order and the rise of the Empire.  Being on the run has to be mentally and emotionally exhausting.   And the big thing for Obi-Wan beyond that is coming to learn that he had not actually killed Anakin, and the monster that is Darth Vader is something that he holds some responsibility for creating.  That’s a lot for anyone to have on their plate. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2022, 08:53 AM »
I stayed up and watched the first two episodes last night when they dropped at 9pm PT. 

A+ :)

I am so glad that I stayed spoiler free heading into this one.  I am also REALLY happy that certain things were left out of the trailers.  Hollywood has such a tendency to spoil things in trailers these days, so I'm happy LFL resisted doing that with Kenobi.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2022, 10:45 AM »
Watched the first 2 episodes.

I enjoyed every second, even the Inquisitors which I had trepidations  about. Every surprise landed well for me.

Very much looking forward to the next month.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2022, 11:10 AM »
Wow. Good stuff.

Side note felt obligated to buy another TVC 501st Clone that's been staring at me at Target the last couple days.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2022, 02:22 PM »
I was expecting a lot from this series. So far so good.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2022, 02:30 PM »
Minor spoiler here so please consider yourself warned.

I'm one episode in and I'm still shocked at how Leia was kidnapped by a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2022, 03:33 PM »
I liked everything up until the last 5 minutes of the 2nd episode.

I mean, WT literal F? No one could be bothered to watch Season One of Rebels?

My head is still exploding over that one…just such a weird, unnecessary choice IMHO.

Aside from that, thoroughly enjoyable. That little girl was a treat!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2022, 03:55 PM »
I hear you McMetal but that's why I think what it looked like happened didn't really happen. What really happened? No clue, but I don't believe they just crapped on Rebels there.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2022, 04:19 PM »
I hear you McMetal but that's why I think what it looked like happened didn't really happen.

I agree.  I kinda feel like that happens at least once per Disney media these days...

Finn (TFA - lightsaber wound), Princess Leia (TLJ - vacuum), Chewbacca (TROS - ship explosion fake-out), Kylo Ren (TROS - lightsaber wound), Fennec Shand (TM - gut shot), Cobb Vanth (TBOBF - blaster bolt).  Not to mention OT/PT guys that got better - Boba Fett (ROTJ), Emperor Palpatine (ROTJ), Darth Maul (TPM).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2022, 06:03 PM »
Yeah, that was a head-scratcher in the last five minutes.  Hell, Reva shouldn't have even been there as I would think the Grand Inquisitor would have permanently "relieved" her of her duties with such continued insubordination.  Another head-scratcher was the whole chasing Leia bit (bounty hunters and Obi-Wan).  Obviously with little 9-year-old legs (she might have been 8 during filming since she doesn't look like any 10-year-old I know), she's not going to run as fast as an adult, but the chase on Alderaan where the Falleen runs into the tree branch was comical (in a bad way).

Other than those nit-picks, I enjoyed it.  It's cool to see Ewan as Obi-Wan, er, Ben again and the show nailed some of the things that people here were wondering about...

... and I believe Stranger Things Season 4, Part 1 is out, too.  Too much television to watch.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2022, 09:39 PM »
I had less than zero expectations for this series after the disaster that was Book of Boba Fett, and the first two episode don't suck, but still get a resounding "meh" from me.

Calling it now, the Nightsister is one of the younglings from the beginning, who is somehow obsessed with Kenobi for not saving her or something lame.

The bounty hunters chasing Leia through the forest might be more embarrassing than that Mos Espa speeder chase in Book of Boba Fett. I had to pause it for a few minutes so I could laugh when that green alien ran into the tree branch.

I don't want to sound like a total negative nancy, so here are some things I liked: the meeting with Ben and Owen, the veteran hobo 501st Clone, Kumail being a fake Jedi for money, Flea getting non-RHCP work
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2022, 10:41 PM »
I thought it was overall pretty good.  Far, far better than BoBF.

I didn’t like the chase scenes either.  There could have been much better ways to do a chase with a ten year old that weren’t quite so cringy. 

I’m curious about Obi-Wan’s seemingly rusty jedi skills. Has he “turned them off” so he could hide? You would think that would be something you wouldn’t forget how to do after a lifetime of practice.

I like the easter eggs as well.  I might have missed a few, but I liked the ones I caught.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2022, 08:23 AM »
Some spoilery talk, then...
When they put out Clone Wars in 2008 I said out loud, "Why don't they just do a TV show about the OT heroes from between movies?"

When they put out Rebels in 2014 I said out loud, "Why don't they just do a TV show about the OT heroes from between movies?"

So, now I feel like I have finally gotten what I keep coming to the table for. Little Leia and Ben off on an adventure together is exactly what I have been waiting for them to do. Maybe by the end of this we will understand why she named her son "Ben."

My son stayed home from school yesterday, not so we could watch this neccessarily but because his Mom was bothered by the recent school tragedy and some corellations with a shooter drill they did at his school earlier in the year (where he was in the bathroom at the time and got locked out of his classroom and had to find a place to hide for the duration of the simulated lockdown.) He is all caught up with his work and just has a few days to go anyway before summer break, and...Kenobi!

All of that is to say we had just had a big talk about the protocols for a school shooter situation and this time in particular with an emphasis on law enforcement, to open the show with some kids trying to escape their school which was full of law enforcement officials as the shooters. We all kind of galumphed at that.

Both my son and his mom took it as a given that, when the Inquisitors appeared in the next scene, that they were the grown-up versions of those kids, which only struck me as a possibility once they suggested it. So yeah, that's probably Reva's origin.

The escape through the woods chase made me think of the Vespa chase, too, and how this must be a limit for how they are making these shows because this one didn't work well either. We were all laughing at the bad guys' problems with branches and stumps. I no-prized it away as her subconsciously using the Force to befuddle their minds, and in doing so explained away a lot of the issues with Stormtrooper aim and plot armor for the heroes that have lingered since the beginning anyway.  :)

Reva stabbing her boss (apparently to death but we know better) was no issue for me. Yeah, we know he's not dead, but this was about her making the decision that will end her allegiance to the Inquisitors. It had to be something big, and something that he couldn't come back from in the immediate moment so that she has genuine freedom to make her next move. I'm sure he'll go get fixed up by that mod doc on Tatooine who gave Fennec a robot digestive tract.

I genuinely enjoyed the characterization of Bail Organa and Jimmy Smit's acting was perfect. Ditto with Owen Lars, though his life being threatened was a bit over-the-top. It went to show how far off the Jedi path Obi-Wan has gone, at least until Bail showed up to make him confront it himself.

Another detail I adored was Leia's Alderaanian wardrobe, which really brought back the "Bespin Gown" costume in my mind and started tying it all together as Leia's intended "classy civilian" attire. And then she would go play in her "battle togs" attire. Great costuming. And not for nothing, but she was probably the best-written character of these two episodes.

Alright, I will stop gushing now though I could easily  keep going. I really enjoyed it, warts and all.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2022, 05:41 PM »
My only gripe about the show so far is Reva referring to Darth Vader as Anakin Skywalker.  Kenobi knows Anakin became Darth Vader but she shouldn't know that Vader is actually Anakin Skywalker.
This is the way.

I have spoken.