Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350539 times)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #510 on: July 1, 2007, 05:59 PM »
It was a rather good picture. I enjoyed it, at least (though, I suppose, I am somewhat taken with Pixar. They've really yet to disappoint me, Finding Nemo aside.)

No kidding?  I don't think I've heard much of anyone say they didn't like Finding Nemo.  I thought it was nicely done.  I agree that Pixar has been impressive to date, but after absolutely hating Cars I've been skeptical about Ratatouille.

John

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 1, 2007, 09:55 PM »
Ratatullie - one of the better movies this year that no one is going to see...

Well, it led the weekend with $47 million plus, so someone saw it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 2, 2007, 12:40 AM »
Waited until tonight to see Die Hard so I could watch the first three again before.

I haven't read what anyone else thinks about this movie, and it was over the top at times (yeah, over the top even for Die Hard) and the bad guy didn't knock my socks off, but overall I really enjoyed the crap out of it.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 2, 2007, 03:02 AM »
It was a rather good picture. I enjoyed it, at least (though, I suppose, I am somewhat taken with Pixar. They've really yet to disappoint me, Finding Nemo aside.)

No kidding?  I don't think I've heard much of anyone say they didn't like Finding Nemo.  I thought it was nicely done.  I agree that Pixar has been impressive to date, but after absolutely hating Cars I've been skeptical about Ratatouille.

John

And you didn't like Cars? Bei Gott! Different folks, different strokes, I guess.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 2, 2007, 09:43 AM »
So far, Pixar has put a certain level of quality into each movie whether it completely works or not. I can see why people would fault Finding Nemo, Cars and Ratatouille. The person I saw Ratatouille with didn't like Monsters Inc at all. ???

Those movies do have flaws on some level. For example, Cars' second act (the middle of the movie) really dragged for me. Barely enough exciting things going on to move the plot forward. What was happening was important, but too heady given the material. However, it all came together in the end to give the film one of the best endings of any movie on multiple levels. I think Ratatouille suffers from the same flaw.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 3, 2007, 11:37 AM »
Through Netflix, I've been catching up on all the movies I haven't been able to see at the theatres the last few years. Here's the most recent views:

Little Children. Actually surprisingly good, though a few parts were kind of unnecessarily disturbing. It was fun to see Bad News Bears "Kelly" in a totally different role.

Notes on a Scandal. Another creepy one, but quite good. Judi Dench was awesomely wicked.

Garden State. Meh. It was pretty much what I thought it would be. I would've liked to see the relationship with his dad explored more. I also thought Portman's role wasn't believable. Seemed like she was playing it a little over the top. I will admit that I paused and slo-mo'd during the Portman pool scene.  :-*

Capote. I just couldn't get into Hoffman as Capote. I kept expecting him to all of a sudden go off-character and say, "I sharted." I fell asleep in the middle, so apparently the story wasn't riveting enough, either.

Stranger Than Fiction. Fun. It was actually good to see Ferrell in a slightly different role, yet still not totally serious. The soundtrack was great and really set the mood for the movie. Good supporting cast, too.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 4, 2007, 09:34 AM »

Stranger Than Fiction. Fun. It was actually good to see Ferrell in a slightly different role, yet still not totally serious. The soundtrack was great and really set the mood for the movie. Good supporting cast, too.

I've read the script, twice, love it, but still haven't seen the movie. I'm afraid it might ruin the script for me. :-X
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 5, 2007, 01:34 AM »

No.

Just... no.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 5, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I saw that poster at the theater yesterday too.  This could be bad, especially with the "homeboy" look to the Chipmunks.  Not that I'd see this movie either way, but I do remember watching the cartoon from time to time when I was growing up.  Oh, and I'll always remember my grandparents having a Christmas record of theirs that they would put on when we had Christmas at their house :).

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 5, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Saw Sicko yesterday. I recommend everybody see it, regardless of how you feel about Michael Moore.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 5, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Saw Sicko yesterday. I recommend everybody see it, regardless of how you feel about Michael Moore.

Sorry -- not gonna happen -- not even if Rosie O'Donnell herself sat on me, held me down and made me watch it. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 5, 2007, 01:07 PM »
But there's a Star Wars collector featured in the film. ;)

Seriously though, there is. You can see his Episode 1 figures on display in a cabinate. :P

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 5, 2007, 02:37 PM »
But there's a Star Wars collector featured in the film. ;)

Seriously though, there is. You can see his Episode 1 figures on display in a cabinate. :P

Episode I figures/collector?  Your not doing a very good job of convincing me Anthony ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #523 on: July 6, 2007, 11:11 PM »
There was a phenomenal trailer played just before Transformers.  It didn't have a name just a release date...January 2008.  A little research shows that it is probably a movie (Potentially called Cloverfield) coming from JJ Abram...and it has taken a page out of the Blair Witch internet buzz book. 

Cloverfield

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 7, 2007, 09:51 AM »
Here's an artical I just read about Cloverfield from the Hollywood Reporter.