Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 72371 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #390 on: January 21, 2005, 03:08 PM »
I like your idea Jeff...  That'd be neat to see, but pros would bitch about it, you know it.  :)

It'd be great though...  Pick a large, good arena and go with it...

If Lemieux's healthy, I think you'd have to bump Pittsburgh slightly. :P  At least better than the Crapitals.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #391 on: January 21, 2005, 04:43 PM »
NHL season 'lost,' union rep says
Wild goalie Dwayne Roloson said the players union told him to spread the word: The 2004-05 season is likely over. Roloson, the team's players union representative, said failed negotiations led to the realization the season will be cancelled.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 21, 2005, 04:46 PM »
NHL season 'lost,' union rep says
Wild goalie Dwayne Roloson said the players union told him to spread the word: The 2004-05 season is likely over. Roloson, the team's players union representative, said failed negotiations led to the realization the season will be cancelled.

Ha-ha. 

I'm not a particularly good person to have in this thread, I still harbor great bitterness over losing our team.  I still believe Bettman and skyrocketing player salaries are the reasons for that happening.  I do not wish ill will to hockey fans in general, but nothing makes misery happier than company.  Now the good folks in Toronto can relate to a season without hockey.  Neener neener neener. 

[/bitter] ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 21, 2005, 05:18 PM »
I don't know how it's been for other cities that still have teams (sorry Brent!), but I've really been surprised at how quiet the Predators marketing department has been. It seems like it's in their best interests to keep the season ticket holders as interested in the team as possible, but it's almost as if the team doesn't exist anymore. I don't really know what I expected, I geuss it just seems like there should be more contact with us to keep up morale. I have a hunch a lot of people here are going to be asking for their refunds the second the season is cancelled  :-[

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #394 on: January 21, 2005, 05:22 PM »
Well, they aren't making money right now at all so I can't see how they would want to spend anything on promotional issues

RIP NHL

Go Gophers!

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 21, 2005, 09:09 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1972119

Read the last paragraph.  If that happens, I'm out.  I don't want any of my favs getting sent out of HockeyTown because of a cap.  I told you guys this cap was bs. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 21, 2005, 10:18 PM »
No, the cap is not BS.  It's only BS if you have an owner with absurdly deep pockets, something what, about 20 of the teams in the league do not have.  But who the **** cares right?  Kill Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal, Minnesota and Pittsburgh.  No great loss there, no real hockey fans in those towns, unlike Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina ::)  Should I go on?  C'mon, Tampa didn't sell out until they made the last rounds of the playoffs and I mean fans buying tickets, not bull**** promos of freebie tickets to get fans into the arena. 

Yeah, the NHL is perfectly healthy like it is.  Bettman's an American right? :P ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #397 on: January 22, 2005, 04:49 AM »
I'm all for the cap and ousting Bettman too...

I'd dig some rule changes once the supreme butt pirate of the NHL takes his leave.

He should have to run a gauntlet in every NHL city that's had a team since the 60's or 70's (whether they have their team or not).  Every fan's allowed to bring one stick of specific dimensions and they get as many hits as they can as he runs past.

Dumb ass.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2005, 12:12 PM »
No, the cap is not BS.  It's only BS if you have an owner with absurdly deep pockets, something what, about 20 of the teams in the league do not have.  But who the **** cares right?  Kill Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal, Minnesota and Pittsburgh.  No great loss there, no real hockey fans in those towns, unlike Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina ::)  Should I go on?  C'mon, Tampa didn't sell out until they made the last rounds of the playoffs and I mean fans buying tickets, not ******** promos of freebie tickets to get fans into the arena. 

Yeah, the NHL is perfectly healthy like it is.  Bettman's an American right? :P ;)

The cap won't work in the NHL, sorry to say.  If your team was over the cap ceiling, would you want to see some of your fav players sent off to other clubs in order to get your team under the cap?  I know I sure as **** wouldn't.  All the cap does is allow this greedy owners to turn a profit whether there team competes or not.  It almost eliminates free agency as well.  If a guy wants to go play for say Tampa Bay (has family there, grew up there, etc, etc.) and they are over the cap, he basically has to settle on another destination.  Do you really think a cap is gonna make free agents swarm to cities like Atlanta and Buffalo and Carolina?  Give me a ****** break.  The NHL is messed up for many reason, much of them tied directly to Bettman, but also because the owners can't keep their check books in check.  Look at MLB.  They went to a luxury tax system, and with the exception of a few contracts since Giambi signed his ridiculous deal, you are seeing contracts and salaries stay in check.  The owners have obviously banded together and decided to not overpay for guys.  The NHL could do the same thing, but oh no, we gotta have a cap.  Maybe they should just realize that they need to get rid of about 6-10 franchises, completely and totally eliminate obstruction and boost scoring.  Do that and people watch the game.  Why?  Cause people are attracted to goals the same way they are to TDs, slam dunks and home runs.  No one wants soccer on ice.   

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 22, 2005, 01:26 PM »

The cap won't work in the NHL, sorry to say.  If your team was over the cap ceiling, would you want to see some of your fav players sent off to other clubs in order to get your team under the cap?  I know I sure as **** wouldn't. 

You mean just like the NFL does?  Hell yes, I'd much prefer that rather than having seen teams leave markets (Winnipeg, Quebec, Minnesota) becuase of those self same greedy owners. 

I'd rather see the players move like that instead of having some Steinbrenner-esque ******* buying up all the good players because there is no cap and he has deeper pockets than the rest. 

The cap is going to do nothing to make players go anywhere, that's not the point.  I don't give a flying **** if Sidney Crosby doesn't want to play in Atlanta or Calgary, one cuz it's too cold, one cuz it's not a hockey city.  He should play where he's drafted and sign where the deal, salary and location, meet his satisfaction.  I'm sick and tired of athletes saying I don't want to live in Canada, the taxes are too high.  **** off you prima donna, you make millions of dollars a year to play a game millions of Canadians pay to play, yet you don't want to lose a couple of extra bucks.  Screw you dumbass, you'd at best be selling insurance and probably be selling used cars or be in prison if you couldn't skate so ******* well. 

And your point about family is ridiculous, to put it bluntly.  If someone wants to play that badly near family and a team wants him, they'll make room for a talented player.  If he's not that good and as in your example, Tampa doesn't want him, well, I'll cough up a quarter so the momma's boy can phone home to whine and bitch about it. 

This is not about playing where you want, it's about the survival of the league.  If you think that letting players play where they want and make as much as they can is the best system for the league to survive in the US, well, nothing I can say will make you change your mind.  But I've got to think your view has some pretty rosy glasses involved.  Small market teams are folding, hockey in Canada is being pulled away (yeah, you don't give a ****, I know) and so a sport with a lower popularity rating than pro bowling is going to survive for the long term in the US?  Nuh, don't think so.

As far as contraction goes, I can imagine which teams you'd like to see go - Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Minnesota and one more?   Hey, it would save on travel dollars for the league, players wouldn't bitch about having to live where it's cold and under an oppressive tax system and it would eliminate almost all of the disparity of a lower Canadian dollar.  Who the **** cares if that leaves only one team in Canada, screw them, their communists anyway.  The US is number one and we love this game, well, almost as much as bowling and darts.  Contraction would work, but I'd suggest pulling it from markets that don't draw unless the teams perform in the later rounds of the playoffs - Nashville, Anaheim, Florida, Tampa, Carolina to name only a few.  No fans at the regular season games, why the hell should they have a team there?  It's more than winning championships.  Pittsburgh is in rough shape, relatively speaking, but I wouldn't suggest the team should leave a true hockey market. 

AS far as scoring goes, if you can't get enjoyment out of a 0-0 tie, you and the rest of the fans simply don't understand hockey anyway.  Yeah, high scoring games are more entertaining, but my guess is you've never played the game much.  Not trying to be rude, even if it sounds that way.  But I am rather tired of a bunch of (bluntly) Americans strutting around bitching about scoring.  Gawrsh, the league was ok back in the early 70's with lots of scores of 1-0, 2-1 but now that it's suddenly become "popular" ::) in the US, scoring's become more critical. 

I don't at all disagree with the ridding of the clutch and grab or the trap defense.  I'd also suggest that goalie equipment be revised back to about the scale of the mid-80's.  Take a look at a Cheevers sportspick and then at any current goalie, wanna see more scoring? 

The cap isn't a cure all, but it seems to have worked reasonably well in the NBA, NFL.  I don't see a lot of contraction or team losses there (Vancouver never should have had a team, too fickle are the fans there).  Yeah, I see marquee players moving, but I have precisely zero sympathy for any player that bitches or whines about anything.  They make in a year at least what I'll make in a lifetime and NOT doing anything remarkably important.  Entertaining and admirable from an athletic standpoint, but really, who gives a ****?  I'm doing just fine without NHL hockey.  Not happy about it, but woo-woo, I'm not jumping off bridges or anything else.  I could easily do without NFL, MLB or NBA (much prefer college).  Would I miss them?  Sure, but it ain't life and death.  Anyone that thinks it is has some issues, I'd dare to suggest. 

The players say the need for a cap is the result of the owners lack of self control, and I agree 100%.  There are dumbasses whereever you go that will ruin it.  Why should Iginla stay in Calgary when he can go to the Rangers for $4 million more a year?  He won't when that time comes.  The number of professional athletes that have actually turned down money to move can probably be counted on your fingers.  How is that a good solution.  Unless of course you live in a city that has one of those dumbass owners.  There's no pride in playing for a team anymore, no one retires after playing an entire career in one place.  There's no loyalty.  It's all about $$$$$$$$$.  That's sad. 

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 22, 2005, 02:32 PM »

Yeah, high scoring games are more entertaining, but my guess is you've never played the game much.  Not trying to be rude, even if it sounds that way.  But I am rather tired of a bunch of (bluntly) Americans strutting around bitching about scoring. 

Oh boy, I think you just opened up a can of worms with Jason...I'll let him speak for himself though. As amazing as it may sound coming from a silly head up his ass American, I actually played hockey growing up.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 22, 2005, 02:51 PM »
I'm trying to open a can of worms.  Clearly he understands the game, that's not the point.  All the things he's indicating are that the game surviving in the US is just fine and dandy.  NHL rankings = bowling rankings in the US.  How is that a survival plan for one of the "four major leagues"?

And I don't hate Americans, hockey playing or not.  I also live close enough to some pretty damn serious hockey states, curiously those are located close to Canada.  Wonder if there's a connection.  They know hockey as well or better than I do, no doubt. 

If Jason plays/played hockey, great, good for him.  If all he sees about the talent involved in the game is putting the puck in the net, then it must have been some bastardized US head up the ass version :-* :P ;) (if the smilies don't convey it, that was sarcasm). 

I understand that hockey exists in the US and in many places it is popular, but on the whole, it is not popular in the US.  In Canada, any kid that DOESN'T play hockey growing up is pretty much an oddball.  It's like baseball or football in the US.  We're frozen, depending on where you are, for up to six months a year, probably averaging four months outside of BC or southern Ontario.  Rinks are everywhere. 

My point is there is more to enjoying a hockey game than watching the red light turn on.  That is not appreciated by the majority of American fans that show up in arenas in non-traditional hockey areas.  I don't think a fan in Detroit or New York or Pittsburgh or Chicago goes to the game to only see a 7-6 final score.  Sure, it's great when it happens, but it DOESN'T HAVE TO for the game to be enjoyable. 

I like dunks in the NBA as much as anyone, but I seriously have a hard time having appreciation for a bunch of thugs that think they are as good as Dr. J. because they can dunk from the free throw line.  He did it without traveling.  What's that got to do with hockey?  I like basketball and hockey both for the skill involved, not the final score or the enhanced play that is achieved only by messing with the rules.  Jason's point on clamping down on the interference is excellent and would go a long way to making boring games less boring, but I remain unconvinced scoring will automatically rise.  It might, but it might not.  Goalies, large equipment or not, are one hell of a lot better now than they were 30 years ago, even with the league dilution.  It's a combination of fitness, skill, training, equipment and the fact this is now the only thing they have to do.  No going to work after the season to sell furniture.  No worrying about making enough money.  It's just different. 

And I don't think a salary cap is the only way to achieve this, but I do think it's necessary, because of the inherent stupidity and dishonesty of the owners.  I'd rather see profit-sharing (ain't gonna happen), a luxury tax (ain't gonna happen) AND a salary cap in place.  But that combination AIN'T gonna happen either. 

Anyway, time for Jason to tear me a new one, so I'll wait for that to happen.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Don't worry Morgbug.  I won't rip you a new one.  I don't take anything you said to heart because I know you are a disgruntled hockey fan, like myself, and I enjoy the debate.

The reason a cap works in the NFL is in large part due to the tv deal.  The NFL really stands alone when it comes to the major pro sports leagues.  Perfect example is the Super Bowl.  It's a sports anamoly in a way because no matter who is playing in it, the ratings and interest is through the roof.  If there is a cap instituted in hockey, it can't be at a ridiculously low amount like the $30 million the owners are proposing.  A team like the Rangers may not even have enough money to put a full roster out there.  If you're going to put a cap in place, it has to be realistic and $30 million is far from realistic.  I just don't see a cap working in hockey.  Don't bother comparing the NBA cap to anything because anyone who's knows will tell you it's not even a cap.  It's a farce.  How is it that all these teams are able to sign guys to 7-year, $120 million dollar contracts?  The only sport w/ a cap is the NFL and personally, I don't think any sport should have a cap.  They are a joke and just because it works in the NFL doesn't mean it'll work elsewhere.  The owners only want a cap so they can turn a profit on a crappy, non-contending team.  Do you really think that owners will run out and fill up their cap space?  Do you think it guarantees anything?  The players have offered to hand back MILLIONS out of their own pockets and want to put revenue sharing in place (like MLB) and the owners want no part of it.  It's ridiculous. 

Hockey is in such bad financial shape because of Gary Bettman and the owners, not the players.  No player held a gun to any owners head.  Just because a high priced free agent signed somewhere didn't guarantee that team anything.  The NHL over estimated it's popularity and over expanded.  The on ice product is what has suffered, and let me dive into that:  as a huge hockey fan and someone who knows a hell of a lot about TV (having worked in that industry) I know that goals and excitement are what the NHL needs to draw in new fans.  Despite what you may believe, the NHL DOES need 7-6 contests.  We die hard fans can watch a game and be fine w/ nothing happening for 45 mins of the game.  We understand the game, we see that it's played tight defensively nowadays but tell me how that is appealing in any way to casual fans.  Do people really want to see soccer on ice?  No, they don't and the popularity of hockey and it's tv ratings prove that.  The way to attract new fans is to boost scoring.  Make the game exciting.  Let the skilled players do their thing.  Make the game fun.  2-1 playoff-style hockey games are not going to generate new fans.  I'm sorry man, but the obstruction-style hockey has to go.  They need to change rules, make the goalie pads smaller, add a shoot-out in regular season OT, etc, etc in order to boost scoring and boost interest.  They also need to do a far better job of marketing the game and it's players. 

The league has done nothing to help this by instituting ridiculous rules like eliminating the "touch up" offside rule (which makes all 5 attacking players sit back in the neutral zone) and adding room behind the net (the one place you can't score on the ice.)  The league has too many teams in too many markets that just aren't going to support the game.  If you folded 10 teams, could you imagine how competitive the league would be?  It would be amazing hockey.  All these 4th line no-talent obstruction artists would be out of a job. 

I do play hockey and do appreciate everything about the game, but I fully realize what it's going to take to make this game popular.  You may think 1-0 games are fine and you and I both know no Canadian fans are going to turn the games off, but people in the US (whom despite your feelings matter most) are going to turn it off.  I'm sure Canada's ratings are great but they are down right pathetic here and that's why the NHL signed the worst possible TV deal out there. 

Now what I was saying about free agents is true.  True players sometimes just take the highest offer, but a lot of times guys go to teams that have a great chance of winning, have great fans and great tradition.  Brett Hull took less money to come to Detroit because of their chances and tradition.  If a team like Toronto is capped out and a player wants to go there because he grew up there or he has family there, that eliminates his free agent right to go where he most desires.  How exactly does a team make room to get him?  Would they cut 3 players to get under the cap for 1 guy?  Come on man.  Think about it.

For the sake of typing it all, read this article:
http://www.detnews.com/2005/wings/0501/22/e01-65488.htm
He couldn't be more right that the NHL's problems go far beyond labor. 

You've assumed far too much about me, so I hope you read this all the way through.  The teams that I would contract are:  Carolina, Anaheim, Phoenix, Buffalo, Florida, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Nashville (sorry Jamie) and maybe 2 others but I WOULD NOT contract any Canadian franchises.  They are vital to the game.

What you seem to be saying is that hockey works in Canada, who cares if it works in the US.  Well, whether or not you want to admit it, it's the US's game now and if it doesn't work here, it's gone.  It will always be "Canada's sport" but it's going to have to work in the US if it's going to survive, bottom line. 

OK, I'm sure this discussion will continue and I welcome it.  I just don't want to keep typing and losing my thought.   :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #403 on: January 22, 2005, 10:00 PM »
Speaking as an American, I like 1-0 or 0-0 scores.  Of course, I also like 1-0 Maddux/Johnson-esque pitchers duels in baseball too, so I may not be the average fan.  On the other hand, I do HATE 3-0 football games. 

It probably has something to do with the fact that I watch football to see TDs, not defense.  Baseball/Hockey though, those I appreciate enough to know the sublities of taking a no-hitter into the 8th or taking a shut-out into the third.  I guess that I find (in my experiences) that the games I REALLY love and REALLY enjoy and REALLY know, in and out, are the games where I can tolerate a lack of scoring. 

That's why I love 1-0 scores in hockey and baseball, but hate them in NBA/MLS/NFL.  I don't know those games as well.  I kow the ins and outs of working a count with a man on in baseball, but I don't appreciate the finer points of a 4-5/nickel defense.  Since I don't know that much, I don't care - I just wanna see the flashy touchdowns.

I think (like Brent kinda said) that is why most Americans don't like low scoring hockey games or call it soccer on ice, because they DON'T get it.  They don't have a fine appreciate for the finer point of the game.  They just don't.  It must be incredible frustrating for Canucks to see that.  Living as close as I do to Canada, I can understand as well.

I do think that there are some things that need to be done that will end up opening up offense (goalie pads, wider ice, and yes obstruction/the trap - even though our coach basically invented the current version of the trap  :P).

With changes to the game, I think it will open it up a bit so that we can get back to some Gretzky/Hull era 60/70/80 goal scores (maybe 4-2 type games instead of 7-6 games).  I remember the scoring of the 80s... when was the last time we had a 60-goal scorer in the NHL?

I agree with HE in that more scoring = more interest from the non-hard core NHL fan.  I am in total agreement that more scoring = more popularity, but I understand the frustration of the longtime fan.  The trick is to get just enough "more scoring" to catch new fans, but not too much "more scoring" to turn off the Canucks.   ;)

So, not to derail your "fun" Salaray Cap debate, what do you guys think about the Shootout?  How does that fit into the "more scoring" debate?

Would seeing your teams 5 best snipers duke it out be more exciting than a tie?  Or, would a shoot-out pander even more towards Americans for you Canucks?   :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 22, 2005, 11:05 PM »
Lots to think about here and some great comments from Jeff and Jason.  I see there isn't that much difference between us now, much to my dismay :P  For those of you not into this, fair warning, this is going to be a long post. 

First key point, H.E. is right and I've admitted as much, I am a disgruntled fan.  Supremely bitter in point of fact, so factor that in, if you haven't already.

I agree entirely a cap at $30 million will do nothing, it's absurd.   It would need to be indexed and probably somewhere between $50-60 million at current salaries.  I do believe that owners will fill their cap space, providing they can afford to do it.  And that to me is a huge difference between the NFL and NHL.  As you pointed out, TV revenue for NHL sucks ****, the opposite of the NFL.  That's where my comment on profit sharing came from.  The league has to survive as a league first, individual teams in individual markets second.  That's part of my rationale for a cap, because people are inherently selfish and stupid.  Hello, Colorado?  I see your point regarding the players, but it's only hypothetical money they are giving back.  Yes, the contracts are signed, but honestly, making 7 million versus 8.5 million, where's the great suffering?   Gesture duly noted however.   

I agree about the NBA cap, it is a farce but that is really up to that league to manage.  Our little football league up here has a cap too and it is equally a joke. 

I completely agree that hockey is in bad shape because of Bettman and the owners.  Owners signed the contracts and nobody held a gun to their head, but at the same time, I view a cap as self control being forced upon them.  You can't have an agent for a guy like Forsberg leveraging against Colorado an offer from New York for 8 mill versus the Avs 5.5 if there's no room under the cap.  Essentially the players own the owners right now and it goes back to that loyalty thing.  Forsberg has been a Nord/Av his whole career, why didn't he take less to stay?  Greed, a normal human reaction.  As far as Bettman goes, well, he's only about money and loves the game about as much as I like chopped liver. 
The NHL over estimated it's popularity and over expanded.
Could not agree with you more.  Sadly a portion of that has come at the expense of Canadian franchises.  Bettman openly stated he doesn't like Winnipeg as a market.  But ask some guy like Don Cherry or Wayne Gretzky about Winnipeg as a hockey market.  Our biggest problem was a crappy arena compounded by the lack of a deep pockets owner and a piss poor Canadian dollar.  Well, we built a new arena too late, we still don't have anyone that could rightly own a team worth that much (hey, we're a small town popn. 700,000) and Bettman says he's never allowing back here. 

I know that goals and excitement are what the NHL needs to draw in new fans.  Despite what you may believe, the NHL DOES need 7-6 contests.
I know what you mean, but I have to disagree and I'll use the basketball analogy again.  I don't really care about some player in the NBA that averages 25 a game, half of which are dunks if they're all travel balls.  I admit readily, I'm a dinosaur, I like rules to be applied as they were invented.  Sports should be entertaining for the skill in the game and if you have to cheat to get the fans, well, then I guess I want no part of it.  Now, the cheating part does not apply to what you suggest as rule changes and contraction of the league would help no doubt.  But the players and the owners won't accept contraction, so fuggedaboutit.

If a team like Toronto is capped out and a player wants to go there because he grew up there or he has family there, that eliminates his free agent right to go where he most desires.  How exactly does a team make room to get him?  Would they cut 3 players to get under the cap for 1 guy?
I'm going to disagree here.  If the caliber of the player is high enough, you bet they'll dump players.  Heard of Eric Lindros ;)  And I'd contend the number of star quality players that take lower salaries do it more so to win a cup, than anything else: Hull, Bourque, Selanne.  Worked for one of them.  But those are guys towards the end of their careers, still talented, but it's almost always a last gasp effort.  I've yet to see a guy at the peak of his career state that granny lives in Edmonton and I'd like to play there, so I'll take a $5 mill cut in pay ::)

As far as rule changes you suggest, I completely agree.  I'm just not convinced that's going to take the game to the 7-6 level, perhaps more along the lines of what Jeff suggests at 4-2.  It would be a more open, faster game, but will the scoring go up?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  Part of the contraction + rule changes means you're going to the top 20 goalies in the league too, with better backups for all teams.  Plus better defensemen and all around players.  You're definitely getting rid of the dogs, but there will be a concurrent rise in the defensive abilities in general too.  I'm even a fan of shoot-outs.  As a traditionalist I'm not overly keen, but I've seen them in the WHL and it doesn't change the game dramatically and it does keep fans in the stands even longer. 

I guess my dogmatic approach is still bitter about the fact FOX put a ******* blue streak on the puck.  Gimicks suck ****, plain and simple.  Hockey should be played in places where fans understand and appreciate the game.  Places like Texas, for example.  I expect you knew, but Texas has more professional (at all levels) hockey teams than all of CAnada.  Go figure.  But dragging it kicking and screaming into NASCAR country?  Who the hell was that stupid?

At this point I will openly apologize for presuming to know who you'd contract, I was dead wrong.  And I agree with all the teams you suggest, save Pittsburgh and not to kiss Jesse's ass.  It's because I think Pennsylvania is a decent hockey market with a long history and good fans.  They have fans out when the team sucks horribly, that's the litmus test as far as I'm concerned. 

What you seem to be saying is that hockey works in Canada, who cares if it works in the US.  Well, whether or not you want to admit it, it's the US's game now and if it doesn't work here, it's gone.  It will always be "Canada's sport" but it's going to have to work in the US if it's going to survive, bottom line.

Well, yes and no, but I understand how you could see my viewpoint that way.  I do care if it works in the US, but I don't think the game should be changed dramatically to make it work in the US.  I think it has worked for a considerable period of time in the US in hockey markets.  I don't think it works in the non-hockey markets which we addressed in the contraction areas.  I'm not keen on the thought that it's the US' game now, I think that's Bettman speak (not to insult you).  It's been dragged there and made into a US major sport, but with piss poor success.  I also think it can survive at a satisfactory level without players needing to have 8 million dollar salaries.  That's the biggest illusion they suffer from.  Again, bowling = hockey at the professional level in the US in terms of TV ratings.  Players (and owners!) really, really need to grasp that this is not a major league sport.  Salaries should not be remotely comparable to the NBA/NFL/MLB, nor should owners incomes. 

This is where teams should be, IMO:

New Jersey
Boston
New York (I could live with one there, but two I understand)
Montreal
Philadelphia
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Hamilton
Chicago
Calgary
Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles (I'm real marginal on this one, it's a market size issue)
Minnesota
St. Louis
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Quebec City - maybe, given the Habs are there.

That's 20-22 teams.  Is it over represented in Canada?  Maybe, depends on the goal: to get rich?  Yup, overrepresented.  To play a fantastic game at a professional level where it's appreciated, understood and supported?  Nope, about right. 

I'm marginal on Washington, Buffalo, San Jose partly because of ignorance about the market strength, partly because of non-traditional hockey market (SJ).

That's by no means all I have, but it's pointless to blather to one's self.  On to Jeff's comments.

First off, an apology to Americans in general.  For the hockey fans out there, I appreciate your knowledge and appreciation of the game and my comments are not directed at you.  More so at the general public and with the realization that hockey is a wee bit complicated if you never grew up with it.  It's frustration at the fact that OUR game is becoming American and needs the US to survive, even if I disagree.  And that's what Jeff's point is so well put, Americans simply as a rule for the non familiar fan, don't understand it.  So it's boring.  It's essentially the same if I start whining about baseball no-hitters, a fantastic analogy.  That is an accomplishment.  The difference in hockey is that a 0-0 game now is not necessarily a matter of skill and team work so much as it is clutch, grab and dump.  Yawn. 

The shoot out as I mentioned above will drive a proportion of the traditionalists nuts, but I think the AHL handles it well.  It's fun and while it changes the standings, it does so only to a minor degree.  Where you'd see a real outcry is if it was instituted in the playoffs.  Canuckleheads live and die with 5 overtime periods, that's the greatest part of spring.  Messing with that would get some serious feedback.  But for the regular season?  Go for it. 

Anyhoo, little over a week and the discussion can go into hibernation for quite a while.