Author Topic: American Idol Season 6, voter atrocities, and YOU: who's watching?  (Read 26396 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: American Idol Season 6, voter atrocities, and YOU: who's watching?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 05:11 PM »

I gave up on AI just because it's become a popularity contest and not a talent contest. And then most of the people that win that thing are never going to be super-successful anyway.

Oh totally, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood haven't been able to earn two blessed nickels to rub together.

Guess you didn't read where I wrote most in that post, didja?  ;)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 06:14 PM »

I gave up on AI just because it's become a popularity contest and not a talent contest. And then most of the people that win that thing are never going to be super-successful anyway.

Oh totally, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood haven't been able to earn two blessed nickels to rub together.

Guess you didn't read where I wrote most in that post, didja?  ;)

No I've been able to read that word since the first grade.  My point is that the show has only been around a few years, there have been 5 winners so far.  At least 2 of them, Clarkson and Underwood, have already made millions, as well as having won Grammy's.  Fantasia rose to fame as the winner of the third season of American Idol in 2004 and was nominated for 4 Grammy's for her first album, which sold 240,000 copies in the first week and over 2 million to date.  Taylor Hicks, who just won last year, received a $750,000 deal to write a memoir of his life.

Furthermore, think of your favorite artists.  Not many of them struck it big after their solo release.  In fact, many fans don't even have their favorite band's albums until maybe their 3rd or 4th release, when "the hit" album comes out, and then everyone goes back and buys their early **** that they didn't know about at the time.

Of the 5 winners so far, only Ruben Studdard can be considered not "super successful" like you alleged.  Even though Ruben sold over 2 million records, he's currently engaged in a lawsuit against his godfather who stole hundreds of thousands from him.

So, let's say 4 out of 5 are "super successful" and now very rich.  That's "most".

;)

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 06:43 PM »
I must preface this by saying I've never watched a single minute of this American Idol.

I gave up on AI just because it's become a popularity contest and not a talent contest. 

Isn't that what the majority of the people who watch stuff like that idolize?  Popularity and beauty quite often seem to win out over talent.  Isn't that the sad definition of an "American Idol"?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 08:28 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 07:40 PM »
The show is two things.  The first part is the comedy/trainwreck as the producers fish the talent pool for the worst singers possible so that the judges can humiliate them.  How mighty white of them.  ::)

The rest of the show is a commercial.  It's a commerial for the call-in services that compiles the votes.  AI makes a great deal of money from AT&T just from the text message voting alone.  And after that, it's a commercial for the ensuing tours and CD's.

Has it been commercially successful?  Sure.  Simon Cowell boasts in the upcoming 60 Minutes interview that he did that they've had something in the neighborhood of 100 million albums sold.  But is it anything that's gotten any measure of real critical acclaim?  For the most part, no.  The spectacle that the television show has become overshadows any artistic merit that it *might* have.  They really only have one credible judge on the show, that being Randy Jackson with some serious session and producing credits.  The other two are an egomaniac businessman who knows very little about music and a washed up popstar turned dope fiend. 

As for the winners?  Please.  The first one (Clarkson?) had a couple of decent singles, but seems determined to put the show behind her.  I think her biggest hit was written for her by Avril Lavigne.  And that means that she really isn't making the money that most think she would.  Songwriting royalties are where the money lies when it comes to record sales.  The country one (Underwood?) may have won some awards, but anyone who really knows how the country music business works will know that she's just singing those songs.  That's her sole input on those songs.  The business of the country scene is well established where outside songwriters provide all the material, the producers put everything together and then the singer is the final consideration.  Her songs could have just as easily gone to another singer like Faith Hill or Shania Twain.  Most people probably will not remember these singers in about 5 years time.

I can't really be bothered to watch this crap.  It's a slap in the face of serious musicians everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 07:41 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 08:34 PM »

As for the winners?  Please. 

5 winners.  4 millionaires.  Say what you want.

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 10:00 PM »
Last week was pretty much an outrage as we saw Jared Cotter, Sundance Head and Sabrina sent home so that the likes of Sanjaya could make the Final 12.  Not that there isn't some kind of uproar every year.  But, out of the final 12, I've gotta say that I really only look forward to Chris Richardson, Chris Sligh, Gina Glocksen, and Brandon Rogers. Blake Lewis a little.

I'll predict at this time that Chris Richardson will win.  The only one that I got right in the past 3 seasons was Carrie Underwood who I called would win in season 4 at the time of the Final 12.  Last year I thought it would be Chris Daughtry.

Here's who's left that I am at all interested in watching perform:

Gina Glocksen

Blake Lewis

Brandon Rogers

Chris Richardson

Chris Sligh

I am really gonna miss Jared Cotter and Sundance. Alaina Alexander too.

Jared Cotter

Sundance

Alaina Alexander

I can't believe Sanjaya made it over them.  The Indian Conspiracy Theory is running rampant.  There are about 360 million Americans and about 1.1 billion Indians.  If in fact they're voting for him strictly on nationality, could it be Sanjaya is the next American Idol?  Yikes.

You know how I know you're gay?

He's gay because of me, thank you very much.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 10:03 PM »

Oh well the closet was fun while it lasted.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 11:23 PM »
Jeez...that answers a lot of questions going back to the War & Politics days....  8)
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 11:44 PM »
Jeez...that answers a lot of questions going back to the War & Politics days....  8)

My own sleuthing has revealed to me that you and Force Guy have/had a similarly illicit relationship.  No need for any pot/kettle remarks, my friend.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Yeah, but me and ForceGuy were always out of the closet  :-*
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 09:16 AM »
Gina Glocksen

She makes me tingle in all the right ways...  ;)

I will openly admit, I like watching American Idol. Sue me, it's been a guilty pleasure for the last 3 years. This year has some of the best females ever and I can definitely see a female winning it. Doolittle has my vote. Even if she doesn't win, I know she'll go on to be big...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Are you saying you've been watching AND voting on AI Madcow?
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 10:01 AM »
Are you saying you've been watching AND voting on AI Madcow?

I'll admit that i've voted in seasons past, but my wife mainly does the voting when she really likes the performances. Myself by nature am not much of a voter in ANY capacity, even Presidential...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:05 AM by Madcow »

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 11:26 AM »
At least 2 of them, Clarkson and Underwood, have already made millions, as well as having won Grammy's.  Fantasia rose to fame as the winner of the third season of American Idol in 2004 and was nominated for 4 Grammy's for her first album, which sold 240,000 copies in the first week and over 2 million to date.  Taylor Hicks, who just won last year, received a $750,000 deal to write a memoir of his life.

Furthermore, think of your favorite artists.  Not many of them struck it big after their solo release.  In fact, many fans don't even have their favorite band's albums until maybe their 3rd or 4th release, when "the hit" album comes out, and then everyone goes back and buys their early **** that they didn't know about at the time.

Of the 5 winners so far, only Ruben Studdard can be considered not "super successful" like you alleged.  Even though Ruben sold over 2 million records, he's currently engaged in a lawsuit against his godfather who stole hundreds of thousands from him.

So, let's say 4 out of 5 are "super successful" and now very rich.  That's "most".

Because of the success of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, the other 3 winners can be considered "failures".  Clarkson didn't hit it big until her 2nd album, and Carrie has outsold all other AI winners. 

Fantasia may have sold 2 millions albums (which I find hard to beleive) and been nominated for some Grammy's, too bad no one can name one of her songs.  Her career is now in Broadway, not a singing artist.  Everyone in the media always says, "Whatever happen to her?"  You pointed out the problem with Ruben Studdard.  And the last winner, Taylor Hicks, debut album bombed.  Daughtery and McPhee have had more success than Hicks, and probably always will. 

So, change the count to 2 sucessful artists out of 5.  And, in terms of "millionaires", don't count on it.  Simon Cowell and AI are raking in the millions.  The winners are just a front to the entire business known as American Idol.

The business of the country scene is well established where outside songwriters provide all the material, the producers put everything together and then the singer is the final consideration.  Her songs could have just as easily gone to another singer like Faith Hill or Shania Twain.  Most people probably will not remember these singers in about 5 years time.

Shania Twain's career was made with her own music, with most if not all of her songs co-written with her husband, Mutt Lange.  Twain's first album was the typical country music album, with songs not written by her and just another cookie-cutter album.  That is the entire career of Faith Hill.  Faith is the typical country artist: pretty girl with a good voice singing songs from the Country Music songwriting factory.  I'd be surprised if Faith could tell you one musical note.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 12:01 PM »
I saw Ruben Studdard on Sesame Street the other day. He was singing ABCs with Elmo. In our home, that's the true definition of success.  :P ;)