Author Topic: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies  (Read 86427 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« Reply #315 on: November 15, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Rotten Tomatoes, which is partially owned by Warner Bros., is holding off linking reviews until Thursday even though the review embargo ended this morning.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 15, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Rotten Tomatoes, which is partially owned by Warner Bros., is holding off linking reviews until Thursday even though the review embargo ended this morning.

Seriously?  What a load of bull****.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 15, 2017, 02:56 PM »
That VF review was pretty scathing.  This was taken (regardless of what they say) from Snyder and given to Wheedon so the clash of tones should shock no one.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 15, 2017, 04:40 PM »
I've also been seeing a significant degree of criticism over costume design for the Amazons.  And it's notable because the Amazon costumes in Justice League are being compared to the costumes for those characters in Wonder Woman.

When I first heard about this, I honestly couldn't believe it. I mean, you already have the Amazons for Wonder Woman (which was pulled from a pool of female athletes and body builders to make the Amazons as realistic as possible) and they were well costumed by the costuming team for the Wonder Woman movie. So for one or two weeks you film their scenes for Wonder Woman, then before you strike the sets and dismiss the actresses in the following week(s), film the scenes you need for Justice League. If you need pick-up shots for either movie, you plan on taking care of them at the same time on a future date. You save money on sets, costumes, extras, etc... Seems like a no-brainer, IF, and this is a big IF, you have your act together and your cinematic universe has a cohesive plan.

Which clearly, WB/DC does not have.

I certainly don't want to have this thread turn into a Marvel vs. DC debate, but this is why the MCU is successful - they have a plan and that helps guide the path and decisions that are made in the creative process. Yes, some times it doesn't work for Marvel and they have to adjust (Iron Man 2) - but at least there is an overall roadmap. WB/DC however, want what Disney/Marvel have, but they don't want to spend the time to plan it all out.

I'm starting to think the South Park Super Hero franchise has had more planning and thought put into it than the DCEU.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #319 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50 PM »
I'm not sure Marvel reuses sets/actors from one film to the next like you're suggesting.  I think if two are filming concurrently (say like Doc Strange and Ragnarok) you might get an easy cross-over.  But I'd guess most of the stuff is set up fresh on demand.

And the reason why the Justice League Amazonians are bikini babes is because Zack Snyder likes chicks in skimpy outfits.  I doubt he gives two ***** about continuity.  I mean, his plot lines in any single film can't be coherent.  Expecting them to be coherent across multiple films is just ludicrous.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19 AM »
The hate makes me want to see Justice League more.

Something-something-Darkseid-something-something-complete!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 16, 2017, 06:59 AM »
I don't think continuity is the complaint with the Amazon costumes... It is the (perception of?) sexism involved.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 16, 2017, 08:10 AM »
I don't think continuity is the complaint with the Amazon costumes... It is the (perception of?) sexism involved.

Continuity would certainly help the overall franchise.

But I think there's a glaring issue regarding the costume design and sexualization of the Amazons.  Admittedly, I have not seen Wonder Woman, and I won't see Justice League.  I checked out on seeing these movies.  But the design of the costumes in Wonder Woman makes them seem like they were made for combat, which would be a story driven decision.  From what I do know of that movie, it was set what, around the time of WWI?  And JL is set in the modern era.  I could justify some slight updates to combat uniforms during that time.  But from a purely functional, story driven standpoint?  The costumes in JL seem to have much less of a story driven basis to them.

It's true that the Amazons are exotic to outsiders.  But the leap from the WW costumes to the JL costumes, along with a female director in WW to a male director for JL, does seem to objectify the Amazons more.  The photo comparisons make that plain to see.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 17, 2017, 08:06 AM »
I'm not sure Marvel reuses sets/actors from one film to the next like you're suggesting.  I think if two are filming concurrently (say like Doc Strange and Ragnarok) you might get an easy cross-over.  But I'd guess most of the stuff is set up fresh on demand.

Not sure if's a "reshoot" per say, but Spiderman: Homecoming (Sony) uses airport battle scenes from Captain America: Civil War (Disney), and not all of those scenes were in the Cap movie.  That could be extra unused footage from Cap or they purposely filmed extra knowing they'd want it for Spidey or or flashback sequences.  Either way, it's a pretty clear example of how you can bridge sets/scenes from one movie to the next in an efficient way.  And that's going across two different licenses.  The deal making that went on just to get Spidey into the Marvel film continuity is another great example of how they're mapping out their universe.

I'm a Marvel guy first and foremost, but I like the DC characters and wish they could get some better product on the shelves.  It kind of seems like they have a basic plan with the Superman rebirth hanging out there and tying in the Amazons, but its disappointing that they can't do a better job tying this all together.  I haven't seen Justice League yet...is it possible that the Amazons are wearing different designs because the movie is set fifty years later?   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2017, 08:22 AM »
...is it possible that the Amazons are wearing different designs because the movie is set fifty years later?   :-\

They wore the same exact outfits for 2000 years in Wonder Woman.  I doubt the brief introduction of Chris Pine in 1917 prompted them to update their fashion choices.   ;)

I think it's a waste of time to try to come up with a coherent, plot-driven reason they're wearing leather bikinis now.  Zack Snyder likes chicks in skimpy outfits.  That's the reason the outfits changed.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 17, 2017, 09:19 AM »
I think Zack Snyder might just like skin, period.  Look at the costumes in Snyder's 300.  And then compare those to another ancient Greece period piece like Troy.  The costumes in 300 look more like something out of an S&M scene.  And Snyder's Amazons seem like the same kind of deal.

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 17, 2017, 09:55 AM »
I saw a review where they pointed out how Snyder completely objectified Gadot starting right near the start of the film.  Lots of ass shots apparently.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #327 on: November 17, 2017, 09:56 PM »
I saw a review where they pointed out how Snyder completely objectified Gadot starting right near the start of the film.  Lots of ass shots apparently.

Oddly...I'm ok with that.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #328 on: November 20, 2017, 01:40 PM »
Saw the movie on Saturday. I enjoyed it, far more than BvS, though JL is an absolute mess. There is a very good movie in here, if there was some care taken with the structure of the story. They didn't care, I guess we don't really care, so let's get to the fighting and  quipping. Everybody is great. Gal Gadot remains MVP, Ben Affleck is great as Batman, Henry Cavill is reborn ( ;)) as Superman. Flash is great, Aquaman is great, Cyborg is good, Steppenwolf was also present.

The box office on this movie is a disaster. This is a movie with Batman and Wonder Woman - who just cleaned house in the summer - not to mention Superman and the movie should have opened at least on par with BvS or even Suicide Squad. There are a lot of factors as to why it didn't, but the main one is I believe the general mismanagement to this point of the franchise. WW proved that WB can make great superhero films (we knew that from the Nolan films) that people want to see. I don't think there was anything in the marketing that clearly sold a general audience that this is a step away from the grim dark of BvS. It also didn't feature Superman, a hall of fame wasted marketing opportunity that is the result of a terrible decision in a terrible movie.

Maybe now we're through this we can get on to good, solid DC films. I have major doubts about the future of the franchise though outside of Batman (Affleck is certainly gone now) and Wonder Woman.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:41 PM by Darby »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 20, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Saw it this weekend as well. It isn't bad, and I certainly thought it was better than B v S or Suicide squad, but much like Darby mentioned, I think they could have done more. I thought virtually everyone did very well, although the villain was weak. I'd say Barry Allen stole the show and the rest of the cast was solid too. I was someone who wanted to see Grant Gustin (TV's Flash, love that show) continue into the movie verse, but Ezra Miller did pretty great as well. I kinda hope they continue with stories of this league, but with the abysmal box office it is today it is hard to say.