Author Topic: Do you consider Kenner Star Wars an "80s toy line"?  (Read 35031 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Do you consider Kenner Star Wars an "80s toy line"?
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:46 PM »
I know the majority of the line's run was in the 80s, but a number of documentaries, YouTube videos, etc. I have watched talk about the "Big 3" of the 1980s and point to G.I. Joe, He-Man, and Transformers, relegating a Star Wars more to the 70s, and things like TMNT in the 90s.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Do you consider Kenner Star Wars an "80s toy line"?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 10:28 PM »
Though Star Wars started in the 70s, I have always considered it an 80s line. But I can also see it where it would not be considered an 80s line when compared to those other 3. TMNT is also definitely an 80s line.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Its an 80's toy line.  They didn't get figures out until later in '78 and the bulk of the line (Empire, Jedi, POTF) were all delivered in the 80's.  Its maybe not mentioned in certain material because it died out quickly after the movies ('85ish?) whereas the other properties were heating up through the mid-to-end of the 80's.  If you haven't already, check out "The Toys That Made Us." episodes that cover all these lines, along with Barbie, Lego, etc.  Great docu-series on all the behind the scenes happenings that led to some of the greatest toy lines in history.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Count me in the camp that considers Star Wars an 80's line. I would even go so far as to say the structure of the Star Wars line was a huge influence on all 3 of "the big 3" as far as how their lines were developed.

(I would have to disagree with the comment that TMNT was an 80's line, though. I think the first wave of Playmates toys hit in summer of '88, and kicked off the trend of big comic book toy lines that dominated the early 90's, a harbinger for lines like X-Men and Spawn.)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Although I didn't mention it in my initial post, I have always considered Star Wars an '80s line as well. There was just so much toy goodness in those years. Things are generally more detailed now, but as far as fun "toys", it is tough to beat the '80s.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2020, 12:42 PM »
Its an 80's toy line.  They didn't get figures out until later in '78 and the bulk of the line (Empire, Jedi, POTF) were all delivered in the 80's.  Its maybe not mentioned in certain material because it died out quickly after the movies ('85ish?) whereas the other properties were heating up through the mid-to-end of the 80's.  If you haven't already, check out "The Toys That Made Us." episodes that cover all these lines, along with Barbie, Lego, etc.  Great docu-series on all the behind the scenes happenings that led to some of the greatest toy lines in history.

Yeah, my first thought was it was probably almost 1979 when the toys were in full swing and obtainable.  If that's true then the time on toy shelves would be roughly 1979-1986. I know POTF was 1985, but I'm assuming they might have been around until clearance time in 1986.

Am I correct? If yes, or mostly yes :) then one full year in the seventies and five to six years in the eighties should count as an 80s toy line.
Macklunkey!

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 03:22 PM »
some of this stuff was still sold almost till 88' but I still consider it a 70' line.
He's no good to me open