Author Topic: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies  (Read 86431 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« on: March 29, 2011, 03:41 PM »
The word is that WB is again in the process of developing a Justice League movie, with the script currently in the works.  According to this interview (at the link), it sounds like both Flash and WW are in development as well (which we knew about Flash), but the JL movie may come first (following Batman 3 and Superman next year).  They also mention that they'll have to "reinvent" Batman following Nolan's third film in 2012 (but with Nolan still on as a producer).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:59 AM by Jeff »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I'd be curious to know what DC Fans think about dropping all the existing stories and starting from scratch.  No do-overs or alternate universes or reboots...just decide that in December every issue will wrap and they will just start over with brand new stories in January.  Pick 15-20 books, give the characters origin stories and build from there with none of the 0 issue gimmicks or baggage from their recent mistakes.  Just a fresh start on EVERYTHING.  It seems to me that they have so screwed up that universe that just dumping everything would be the best move they could make right now. 

I honestly wouldn't mind that even from a Marvel perspective.  The stories have gotten out of hand with all these crossovers and mix-mashes.  Hey, let's put Captain America on the X-Men!  Give me a break.  There's no real character development - they tried having Hawkeye hook up with Spiderwoman, but they could only squeeze it into a few panels of a few issues, then totally forgot about it.  They keep killing off characters and bringing them back (Herculeus, Captain America, Thor - how many times has Thor "died" now?).  When I was growing up Thor got majorly wounded and had to wear armor and grow a beard to hide his wounds.  Give me a hundred of those, but don't give me dead-not dead-dead-not dead crap.  It takes away any risk or concern for the characters. 

Anyway, just an idea.  If you're going to muck with the history anyway, why not just start over and do it right.  I think you'd grab some new people and I'm sure a lot of fans would still want to tune in to see how their favorite characters develop from a new beginning.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I grew up more of a Marvel kid as well (and continue that way today), but I do read both universes these days.  Aside from Batman/Detective, I don't think I had a DC comic until I was an adult.  I can sort of see the point of the universe cohesiveness though, and although I hate to use the term again, but "grounded" quality of the MU does help a bit when translating to live action I think.  Batman works great, as he is more of that type of character too, but it might be difficult to see the others.  I also agree that WB/DC missed the boat with Green Arrow.  He is arguably much better known than Hawkeye (prior to the Avengers), but now most non-comic people are going to think he's a "rip off" of Hawkeye.

That said, even being more of a Marvel person, I'd like to see more DC stuff make it to the big screen as well.  I know they've already confirmed a "reboot" of Batman after the Nolan trilogy, and I guess that is expected.  I will say, for as amazing as the Nolan movies have been (and they are), if we do see a re-do of Batman again I wouldn't mind something that allows for things like Dick Grayson/Robin, Batgirl, and some of the other less-dark/grounded aspects of that universe.  My favorite interpretation of the Batman world has always been the Animated Series, and I'd like to see something similar to that tone for the movie universe if they are going to move away from the current darker take.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 9, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Marvel guys get fanboy Joss Whedon.

DC guys get... Ben Affleck
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #4 on: August 9, 2012, 11:49 AM »
He's a very good director.  But suggesting he direct and "star in" Justice League?  As Batman, maybe?  I gotta assume they'd use the guy doing the new Superman.  Who knows for GL.  Maybe he'd be Aquaman...

All his previous films were realistic... never anything in the realm of the fantastic.  It'd be tough to conclude he'd have the visual flair needed for a Justice League film.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 9, 2012, 12:29 PM »
Well, he could "star" in the movie without having to be a costumed superhero.  He could be the Phil Coulson of the DC Universe.

The thing with Affleck's movies, like Whedon, is that they're very character driven.  So while he may not have a history of directing flashy CGI movies, that doesn't mean he couldn't direct a really good film with interesting characters.  Whedon had Serenity under his belt, but he didn't have a track record of big, flashy CGI films until The Avengers either but there's not much doubt that he nailed that.  Whedon had directed his TV shows, which, in the case of Firefly, had some CGI, but the rest weren't huge budget affairs.

Affleck has been in a couple big budget Sci-Fi/Action movies so it's not like it's foreign to him...he's seen how it's done. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 9, 2012, 01:36 PM »

DC guys get... Ben Affleck

I read about this last night.  There were a couple of articles, and one said that after checking in with his representatives, Affleck has passed on directing a Justic League movie.  But he is apparently taking a meeting about an acting role in the movie.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 9, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Not sure about the Affleck stuff.  It sounds like one news outlet is saying he's meeting, and another says he's already passed.  I hear he's a decent director (I don't know if I've seen any of his directed movies), and I honestly don't mind him as an actor either.  He gets a lot of grief because of all the JLo stuff from years back, but he's not too bad otherwise (and like comic books).  That being said, he's not what I picture for JLA.  It just seems like he's a few years too old to start this stuff up now, particularly if DC wants to build a "universe" like Marvel has.  I know they keep saying they want to stay away from Marvel's model, but really, it has worked pretty well.  I would guess he would be fairly expensive, and older, to put in a franchise like this.  But, you never know.  If they cast him as Batman or something, I think the fanbase would go crazy.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 06:45 AM »
I just have to ask, since no one has mentioned it.  Does anyone remember Daredevil?  I don't think Affleck and comic book movies mix too well.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Coulda put Orson Welles in Daredevil and it still woulda been a turd.  It was just a sullen, mopey, unbalanced mess.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I liked Daredevil.

It wasn't any worse than Spider-Man 3 or X-Men 3.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Seeing how I hated SM3 and thought X3 was by far the worst of the trilogy...   ;)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 12:51 AM »
I liked Daredevil.

E...

+1  It's not a movie I watch over and over, but I'm not a huge Daredevil fan either.  I thought it was true to the character for the most part & pretty entertaining. 
Of course, I was in my Jennifer Garner phase back then... :-*
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 07:00 AM »
I liked Daredevil.

They oughtta put that quote on the box for the 10 year anniversary Blu Ray release.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: December 3, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Justice League gets it's villian?  If it turns out to be true, it's no surprise since that's the same guy they chose to be the big bad for the JL comic relaunch with new 52.

The more I read about this JLA movie, the less excited I am.  All these other rumors flying around about trying to suddenly link the past movies together (GL/Nolan Bat-films/Man of Steel) and use JGL to reprise his TDKR role and be the new Batman?  I'm really not sure how it's going to play out...

And with Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 in the theaters at the same time, does a sub-par, thrown-together Justice League movie really have a chance?   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender