Author Topic: Your TV  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Your TV
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004, 11:08 AM »
Well, talk about timing.

Over the last weekend, our "upstairs" TV (25" Sony, circa 1992) started "bleeding" red.  I could tell that the picture tube was getting worse, but now it is finally getting ugly.  Everything is pretty fuzzy and now the color reds "bleed/streak across the screen.   :'(

The current plan is to take the old "new" TV (27" Magnavox) and move that one upstairs.  That way, the new "new" TV will go in the lower family room (where we do most of our TV/DVD watching).

After looking through the Sunday Ads, we were thinking of going HDTV or maybe widescreen, but haven't really ruled anything out yet.  I guess I'll take some of the recommendations as we head to Best Buy this week to start shopping/selection process for a new TV.   :)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004, 12:19 PM »
On saturday I bought a 32" Toshiba Flat Screen t.v. 

I've been having issues with my surround sound speakers distoring the color on the corners of my picture on the old T.V. - thinking it was just the t.v. going bad, I decided now was as good a time as any to upgrade.

Sure enough, it's the speakers not the television...so, the old ones goes into the bedroom, the oldest gets tossed and I'm enjoying the new one.  The ones meant for the front supposedly have magnettic sheilding, but it doesn't work too well.

I decided to save the $500 and not upgrade to HD just yet...  I'm not getting the broadcast any time soon and I figure by the time it's industry standard they will be down in price and then I'll just move the one I just bought into the bedroom.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004, 12:59 PM »
I'm still eyeing up a rather large TV, but still waiting until after Christmas, the traditional cheapest time around here.  Futureshop.ca has nifty boxing day sales that sell out nearly instantly, except for very large TV's, so that may benefit me. 

My budget is probably a little larger than most, so I am contemplating Plasma or LCD.  I'm also thinking about a dedicated LCD projector and creating a room for it.  We went into a show home (yours for only $439,000 ::)) that had a fantastic room and the picture from the projector was amazing, to say the least.  Widescreen aspect but about 12 feet by 9 feet :o  If we go that way, it will be after we move.  Still undecided about building versus buying an existing home, so that will factor in. 

I'm certainly open to recommendations about size, brand, type etc. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 01:02 PM »
Best post in this thread so far:

Also...feel free to turn this thread and site into a "mine is bigger then yours" contest between members."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 01:03 PM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2004, 03:22 PM »
Thanks again for all the advice guys, and its always nice to see a few others contemplating this type of purchase as well.  We're still "in talks" in the TV situation ;), the wife pulling more for something cheaper, and I'm still in the widescreen camp.  I guess we don't have to have widescreen, I just kind of wanted it for our DVD viewing.  On a widescreen side note, and this might be a stupid question, but if you get a widescreen TV (HD or otherwise), how does that effect the picture/viewing if you watch "normal" TV.  I know there wouldn't be an issue as far as DVDs go, but if you don't techinically have HDTV or an HDTV receiver, and are just watching regular cable (or digital cable), does it distort the picture or anything?  I feel like a fool asking a question like this, but no one in my family has ever had anything "widescreen", so I wasn't really sure.  We're usually the most "advanced" technology wise in our families, although our stuff doesn't say much for itself really either [need money to stay ahead in the technology game I guess ;)]  Anyways, just curious if anyone knew.  The major issue for us right now is deciding between widescreen and "normal" screen television.  I'm on one side, and the Mrs. is on the other.  Well, she likes widescreen too, but she also likes saving money :P, which is probably the most logical way to be.  Thanks again.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: February 8, 2005, 04:43 PM »
Over the last weekend, our "upstairs" TV (25" Sony, circa 1992) started "bleeding" red.  I could tell that the picture tube was getting worse, but now it is finally getting ugly.  Everything is pretty fuzzy and now the color reds "bleed/streak across the screen.   :'(

The current plan is to take the old "new" TV (27" Magnavox) and move that one upstairs.  That way, the new "new" TV will go in the lower family room (where we do most of our TV/DVD watching).

We've been looking for a new TV for the last 4 months, and we finally got off our butts and went shopping for a new TV.  We finally got off our butts because the old TV mentioned above finally just up and died.  Wont even work now, tube is completely shot.  Nothing like necessity to motivate you.   ;)

Like I mentioned in the earlier post, we were considering moving the 27" Magnavox upstairs and buying a new TV for the Family Room (basement), but we decided against it.  The wife decided it would be too tricky to accomodate a big TV upstairs (too much rearranging), so we decided to leave the TV where it was and buy a new one for the upstairs.

We finally decided on this little guy:

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1398,00.html

Sharp AQUOS 15" LCD

I ended up ordering it on-line last night (as BB was sold-out).  Got a great deal too by ordering on-line (including tax and shipping it was still cheaper then just the best buy sale price).

It seemed to have everything we were looking for for an upstairs TV.  Looking at all the TVs in the 13-17" range, we really liked the color on this guy best.  It isn't HDTV, but rather EDTV (enhanced TV).  We figured that was OK because we don't have digital cable or satellite, so none of the programs we watch now are in HDTV format anyway.

We decided on a slightly smaller screen because this TV is primarily only used for watching the TV news before bedtime or the morning news before work.  We don't really do too much TV or movie watching upstairs, as all the good DVD equipment is downstairs.

All and all, pretty happy with this TV.  I think it should serve it's purpose well.  :)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 8, 2005, 05:03 PM »
We just purchased this:

Sony 42" Grand Wega

with this sound system:

I have no complaints.  Super Bowl in HD was awesome.

I should add that when we bought it, BB was having a rebate:  $200 GC on any TV purchases over $2400.  Should get it shortly.  I'm thinking DVDs.  $200 can boy alot, not that I'll ever get around to watching them.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2005, 05:08 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #37 on: February 8, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Mikey d
That grand Wega is nice but I just couldn't get passed that scren door effect they have on them(some people see it some don;t I happned to see it) . Overall it was my second choice to the sammy dlp i bought 9 months ago. That is an awesome system you need to immediately go out and buy a dvi cable and give your  tv about 100 hours to break in before you get the true picture this tv is capable of. Congrats on the purchase 

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 8, 2005, 07:33 PM »
Here at school I have some old 1980's TV that was given to me by a graduating Grad student. He would see me downstairs watching Raw and when he left just gave it to me!! I mean it's nothing spectacular, but it lets me watch TV in my room. However for big events I still go downstairs!!

Actually the lil guy reminds me of the TVmy mom gave me for my birthday way back in 83. I needed a TV since the X-Mas before she had gotten me an Atari!!! And she didn't want me playing it on the console!! Hey anyone remember consoles????  8)
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 9, 2005, 09:27 AM »
Whoa! Thats one hell of an early Birthday gift you bought there Mikey.  8)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 9, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Not really a BD gift, Dale.  More of a housewarming-anniversary-Christmas-glad the basement's done gift.  The wife and I didn't exchange gifts for Christmas this past year, knowing the basement and the eventual TV would be our gift to each other.  It's been a long time coming that's for sure.  Now I can watch SW and LOTR like they're supposed to be watched and not on a crappy 24" with no surround sound. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 9, 2005, 09:53 AM »
Nice to have a house to put something that large in.  :)  For me that will be someday not sure when. I'll have to upgrade my RCA 20", no surround sound ethier.

We now have a recycling tax on electronics equipment here so you fork out an extra $45. on a new TV. The tax ranges from $5 to $45 per unit depending on the type of electronic device. Just bloody great!  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 9, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Oh crap, that can only mean we'll instill a higher tax soon.  Hmmm.  It wouldn't be so bad if the government did something other than put it in general revenue >:(

Nice TV Mikey.  Still waiting and planning on mine.  Can't decide between a projector or a solid unit, DLP or similar.  Wanting something in the size range of 50" or better.  Our 32" Panasonic is actually still pretty big and pretty nice.  Our sound system is amazing, the quality incredible - Boston Acoustics System 8000.  It's about 5 years old now, but still phenomenal. 

As with everything right now, we're holding off on stuff until we move and figure out what type of space we have.  We aren't likely to go to a smaller house, but the room dimensions may change.  32" may be perfectly suitable until we finish a basement or some other nonsense. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 9, 2005, 04:00 PM »
We purchased a Panasonic DLP 50" widescreen a couple months ago - I'm no longer watching movies, I'm experiencing them.  With the 6.1 receiver by Onkyo and speakers by Jamo, I can honestly say it is one of the best purchases we have ever made. 

The great thing about DLP is that it is a much improved picture over the older style of projection TVs, but more affordable than plasma.

Nothing beats see a crystal clear widescreen image while rattling the glasses in the kitchen cupboards.   :D

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 9, 2005, 09:09 PM »
We now have a recycling tax on electronics equipment here so you fork out an extra $45. on a new TV.

And here I was bitching about the $6-$12 (??) e-waste fee that went into effect mid January for a crt. Our fee's not bad at all, considering it normally costs $20-$30 to dispose of a tv at the garbage dump. Hopefully this means authorized stations will take a tv for free and **** heads will stop leaving theirs on the sidewalk.

Anyway, I have a vintage, 19" MGA, circa mid-1980s, complete with faux woodgrain finish.  8)

I've been meaning to get a 27". Nothing special; just something I can actually see what's happening from beyond 7 feet.