Collectibles > Vintage Kenner

Does anybody buy vintage cardbacks anymore?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chris M:
Holy crap!!!  How does something like that happen unless AFA was in cahoots with someone?  I can see something slipping through every now and then.  I mean, we've also seen some phenomenal fakes, but wow, that's totally unacceptable.

I did stumble across a few things after you posted yesterday, but wasn't inclined enough to read through page after page after page covering some of the mess.

Rob:
Yeah the whole thing is insane.  The video piece I watched the other day said that the fakes are still worth like 60% of what the real thing is worth.

Why, I have no idea...

To me the whole thing should cast a huge cloud over all vintage carded collecting - since the only real difference between a Toy Tony MOC and a factory MOC was the air inside the bubble and the left over creases / deformations from the sealing process.

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Chris M on July 19, 2018, 08:05 AM ---Holy crap!!!  How does something like that happen unless AFA was in cahoots with someone?  I can see something slipping through every now and then.  I mean, we've also seen some phenomenal fakes, but wow, that's totally unacceptable.

I did stumble across a few things after you posted yesterday, but wasn't inclined enough to read through page after page after page covering some of the mess.

--- End quote ---

Well, my understanding is that the cardbacks were real and the bubbles were real, so at least most of the components were authentic.  I'm guessing the guy only included fairly mint looking figures - maybe even sealed figures from damaged cards.  Its a forgery, but sounds like a tough one to identify.  It does show how worthless the whole AFA stamp is - I was hoping that story would be the end of them. 

Rob - did you see any info on how to determine if a vintage carded is authentic or a TT imposter?

Rob:

--- Quote from: JediJman on August  8, 2018, 09:11 AM ---
--- Quote from: Chris M on July 19, 2018, 08:05 AM ---Rob - did you see any info on how to determine if a vintage carded is authentic or a TT imposter?

--- End quote ---

I'm no expert, but in the link I posted a few posts up, there's a television story about it from Britain and the guy they're interview goes over the telltale signs. 
--- End quote ---

Phrubruh:
I still have my original card backs from when I was a kid. I wonder what I could get for them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version