Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189656 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« on: June 6, 2003, 10:35 AM »
I just finsihed on the plane ride home yesterday The Silmarillion[/i] which is history of Elves in Middle Earth.  The thing is epic in proportion and may be my all time favorite book.  It is a very difficult read though.  There are like 200 names you need to keep track of so I was only able to read 3-4 pages a night.  The whole world that Tolkien created to supplement the history of LOTR is so rich and detailed and stunning.  You really have no idea until you read it all.  The gods, the elves, men, what went wrong etc etc  You can see some really cool almost Biblical connotations throughout the book...why do we die and is better to die than it would be to live forever?  It will definitely require a second reading just to make sure I have it all down and it will go a lot quicker then next time

Next up is Breakfast of Champions[/i] by Kurt Vonnegut.  I read this back in college but probably did not appreciate it very much so I am rereading it. :-*  

After that I am not sure what I will go for, I may dive back into the Hobbit or I may go onto something else entirely.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2003, 10:51 AM »
Star Wars: Tales of the Bounty Hunters

More than half way through this book and it's definitely a good one.  I would recommend anyone who hasn't read it yet to read it.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: June 6, 2003, 10:52 AM »
Oh yeah those Tales of (Cantina, Jabba's Palace and BH) are some of the best SW EU stories out there.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2003, 12:09 PM »
Currently I  am reading Darksaber. I am working my way up in order.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2003, 12:10 PM »
A Bridge Too Far, and The X-Cutioner's Song TPB.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2003, 12:47 PM »
I'm still reading Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy.  I'm almost finished with it, only about another 80 pages or so.  After that, it will be the quick read (2 days max) of SW: Force Heretic II: Refugee.  After that and in perfect time, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which is finally almost here after 3+ years.  Can't wait.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2003, 01:02 PM »
I have about 50 pages left in A Pirate Looks at Fifty, by Jimmy Buffett.  I'm really enjoying it.  Its his tale of going island hopping with his family for his 50th birthday.  In between the running commentary of his trip, he talks about growing up, his music career, previous trips.  Its great summer reading.

Next up I'll probably be reading the Harry Potter books again, so I can refresh my memory before #5 comes out
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2003, 01:06 PM »
Just finished Aliens vs. Predator Prey. Picking up the second ands third books this weekend.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2003, 01:21 PM »
I finsihed In The COmapnay Of Heros by Michael Derante about the events depecited in the film Black Hawk Down.  Next I'll try to get Black Hawk Down.  I want to get back into the NJO since I been behind a couple of books not sure where I left off. :-[

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2003, 01:26 PM »
Silent Prey by John Sandford.  You must have read this stuff at one point Scott?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: June 6, 2003, 03:26 PM »
Right now I'm reading Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delaney.  I've been wanting to for years.  It's huge, and difficult, but a great read.  I'm also slowly making my way through the McSweeney Thrilling Tales short story collection.

And here's some comics I'm reading (because comics are people, too):

Lucifer
Fables
Y: The Last Man
Batman
Ultimate Spider-Man
Strangers in Paradise

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 6, 2003, 03:57 PM »
You curious about Black Hawk Down. I would be happy to answer any questions about it.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: June 6, 2003, 04:48 PM »
Lots of record company recording agreements and royalty statements (at work) unfortunately...   :(  Not much else other than that for me right now!  I'm sure the Mrs. will want me to check out her new Harry Potter book next month, when she's done with it...

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 6, 2003, 09:31 PM »
I just finsihed on the plane ride home yesterday The Silmarillion[/i] which is history of Elves in Middle Earth.  The thing is epic in proportion and may be my all time favorite book.  It is a very difficult read though.  There are like 200 names you need to keep track of so I was only able to read 3-4 pages a night.  The whole world that Tolkien created to supplement the history of LOTR is so rich and detailed and stunning.  You really have no idea until you read it all.  The gods, the elves, men, what went wrong etc etc  You can see some really cool almost Biblical connotations throughout the book...why do we die and is better to die than it would be to live forever?  It will definitely require a second reading just to make sure I have it all down and it will go a lot quicker then next time

Is it a very hard read for someone who just finished reading The Lord of the Rings? I've asked around on LOTR message boards, and the general consensus was that I should try reading The Silmarillion, and that it was a bit confusing. :)

Another suggestion was to try Unfinished Tales or Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2003, 09:31 PM by BobaShek »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2003, 09:53 PM »
Summer reading for school is forcing me to read The House on Mango Street. Haven't started it yet. After that, I'll probably finish up the Thrawn Trilogy, and start the new Harry Potter book.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks