Collectibles > The Clone Wars '08-'13

The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?

<< < (2/22) > >>

Jabba the Slug:

--- Quote from: McMetal on February 14, 2012, 09:04 AM ---The show was originally slated to run for 5 seasons, so based on the original plan next season would be the last, but there are reports out there that they have already started writing for Season Six, so who knows?

I agree another 5 years for the show is probably overly optimistic, but I can see it going another 2 seasons easily, and that will make 100 episodes, which is the magic number for *ding ding ding* syndication.  ;D

--- End quote ---

Back when the show was first being developed, there were reports floating around that Lucas said, regardless of ratings, the show would have at least 100 episodes. You said it would take another 2 seasons before they reached 100 episodes, so I can honestly see that happening.

Jesse James:
syndication seems like a bit of a stretch for a series with falling ratings though.

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Jabba the Slug on February 15, 2012, 02:11 AM ---You said it would take another 2 seasons before they reached 100 episodes, so I can honestly see that happening.
--- End quote ---

With 22 episodes in each season, it won't take 2 more seasons - just one should do it.  We are sitting at 84 episodes right now, with 4 left to go in Season 4.  We should hit the magic #100 with Epsiode 12 of Season 5.

That's why, like McMetal said, the show was originally slated for 5 seasons - that is how many it would take to get to 100 episodes and potential sydication, which was poppa George's original plan/dream for the show.

--- Quote from: Jesse James on February 15, 2012, 02:35 AM ---syndication seems like a bit of a stretch for a series with falling ratings though.
--- End quote ---

If some channel out there is willing to run "Laverne and Shirley" on a Sunday afternoon or "Saved by the Bell" on a random mid-day morning, there is definitely a place for Clone Wars re-runs someplace - Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Hasbro's Hub, where ever.

Falling rating or not, I have to imagine that a old episode of Clone Wars would do just as well as an old episode of The Wonder Years or whatever else Hasbro has on the Hub.  ;)

Captain Piet:
Listen, George Lucas doesn't need somebody to pick up his show. He had to foot the entire bill on "Red Tails" right down to the prints. He will do as much Clone Wars as it takes to tell the story, which I suspect is 2-3 more seasons. On the 100-episode mark, I'm fairly certain it's no longer the magic number for syndication. If they want to run it elsewhere, they'll run it elsewhere.
I just think Hasbro's strategy on Clone Wars figures is incredibly flawed.

Brian:

--- Quote from: Jeff on February 15, 2012, 09:52 AM ---Falling rating or not, I have to imagine that a old episode of Clone Wars would do just as well as an old episode of The Wonder Years or whatever else Hasbro has on the Hub.  ;)

--- End quote ---

First of all, the Wonder Years was a great show :P.  Anyways, I think Jeff is right, I don't see any way the show doesn't make it to syndication - somewhere.  Also, despite reports of falling ratings, I don't know if it has gotten to the point so bad that they're thinking of shelving it.  It does seem like it gets way less attention on the network as it used to though, with reruns in the earlier mornings on the weekends and not much else.  I've always been surprised that they don't run it on weekday afternoons or something, as part of an action block with one of their other shows (Ben 10 or whatever), but maybe it has to hit the 100 mark before that happens too.  I have to think that it will at least get five seasons, and possibly a couple more.  This might be a special situation, but usually cartoons don't get much more than the "magic number", unless they change name slightly (like the original JL cartoon to JL Unlimited, or Batman: TAS to The New Adventures of Batman....).

But, back to the original toy line, I would guess it would get at least some attention as long as new episodes are airing.  It seems like Hasbro could keep it going a lot longer even with syndication, but the interest does seem to be waning.  It is already down to about 20 figures a year (and it sounds like it will be that way throughout the 3D releases), and we know that probably only half of those would be "new" if they follow the current strategy.  Unless they gradually make the switch over to making them all "realistic", I could see the toy line ending in a couple more years (or likely as soon as new episodes are done).  They don't seem real dedicated to it at this point anyways, and I don't see the CW series lasting another six years until the movie series is.  As much as I enjoy the show, I don't think it should necessarily hang on that long either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version