Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 236436 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #645 on: September 26, 2019, 02:24 AM »
I don’t know if I got Bodhi off Jeff but someone sold me one so at least I have him.  I’d love to articulate one at some point but I can say the same for the others too. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 26, 2019, 06:36 AM »
I saw Bodhi Rook one time on the pegs at a WalMart and bought that figure then and there.  It might have been the only time I saw figures from that wave in the wild.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 3, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Jake Stevens (From 4 LOM to Zuckuss, and Galaxy of Toys podcast) has posted a rumor that after the initial Triple Force Friday wave of TVC, there will be 20-25 more figures and there will then be an assessment of sales to decide whether or not to continue with TVC (and 3 3/4”). Big grain of salt and all that, but I’ve listened to his podcasting for awhile and I haven’t known him to be an alarmist/liar. It will be an interesting year, lots of neat stuff on the way though.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 3, 2019, 09:48 PM »
C'est la vie if ends. Hasbro will blame everyone but themselves.

Aside from a rare glimpse of single skiff guard Lando (which may have been a dream), I haven't seen a new TVC figure at brick and mo'ta since last fall.  So, to me the line has been more or less been cancelled already.  Force Friday, scalpers and early bird raiders will get anything good, don't expect restocks...because you just cannot. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #649 on: February 21, 2020, 11:35 AM »
Hasbro and Disney Extend Strategic Merchandising Relationship for Marvel and Star Wars Franchises

During the investor call this morning, Hasbro declined to reveal how long the agreement lasts (they stuck with "multiyear agreement") but it does include all new original content (movies, TV shows, Disney+).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 21, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Hasbro and Disney Extend Strategic Merchandising Relationship for Marvel and Star Wars Franchises

During the investor call this morning, Hasbro declined to reveal how long the agreement lasts (they stuck with "multiyear agreement") but it does include all new original content (movies, TV shows, Disney+).

Mixed feelings I guess. 

Hasbro has done great things in the past, and still lands a few solid products these days, but my interest in their product has been really lagging lately.  I have zero interest in all the different (non 3.75" and 6") scales and styles.

I'd like to see more 3.75" product and more creativity (less rehash).  They're doing mostly great with 6" figures.

I wonder if a new vendor would have done something better in the 3.75" scale, or if they would have gone in a totally different direction and completely left behind the legacy.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 21, 2020, 01:50 PM »
I have mixed feelings as well. There's little doubt that Disney stifles Hasbro's innovation potential. You'd think with all the smart people around that a better balance could be found between production and sales potential.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 21, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I don't love what Hasbro is doing but am super skeptical that another company getting the license would have been anything other than a train wreck
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:46 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 21, 2020, 10:10 PM »
I’m disappointed because I have really been looking for a jumping off point lately and that would have been a good one. I would like to see them scale back on the 6” exclusives for sure.

Glad for those that are psyched about it though. I’m sure they will do some great stuff for The Mando.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 24, 2020, 02:56 PM »
I was kind of hoping Mattel or some company would take over so I would have an excuse to stop. I'm not unhappy with Hasbro's stuff (I blame Disney for most of the problems) but I just moved recently, and the amount of stuff I own is just overwhelming.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 23, 2021, 01:12 PM »
We're just under a week away from the next Hasbro Pulse livestream.  It seems like this event might be the stand-in for the Star Wars team's presentation at Toy Fair (which was cancelled).  The initial indications are that they will be celebrating the Lucasfilm First 50 Years anniversary event. 

That blurb leaves you wondering just what that might mean for the line as a whole.  We've already seen some First 50 branding on Black Series Archive packaging.  But is that also going to steer decision making on character / show focuses?  Or are we going to continue to have the line focused in large part on The Mandalorian?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #656 on: January 24, 2021, 01:16 PM »
I think you’ll see a mix of Mandalorian and Rogue One items.  I’m hoping to see a lot of TVC items due to the overwhelming performance of the Razor Crest!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 24, 2021, 02:18 PM »
It won't happen, but it sure would be nice if there was a nice mix of new and older properties... and i'm a broken record every year, but with a few actual new characters getting made from the regular films, even the prequels... whatever.  No one can keep TVC in stock, and there's so much good stuff that's never been made before. 

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 24, 2021, 09:55 PM »
I was excited on the off chance that they would actually delve into Lucasfilm properties as a subline. THX Cop. Indy. Willow. Maybe a Dark Overlord from the Nexus of Dominus if they could secure those rights. You know, to celebrate the company's history.

But the timeline on the back of the Archive figures bummed me out. Apparently Lucasfilm started in 1971 and spent the decade prepping Star Wars. (Also, that timeline is just a jumbled mess of a design. It made my head hurt looking at it.)

I can guarantee you this--if it means they can reuse a mold they've already pulled out of storage in the last two years, they'll make you a 50th Anniversary figure of whatever they want.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #659 on: January 25, 2021, 09:28 AM »
It won't happen, but it sure would be nice if there was a nice mix of new and older properties... and i'm a broken record every year, but with a few actual new characters getting made from the regular films, even the prequels... whatever.  No one can keep TVC in stock, and there's so much good stuff that's never been made before.

They'll probably be able to keep that current TVC repack wave in stock. Was anyone, anywhere clamoring for Peasant Anakin?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram