Author Topic: Surgery... Who's been under the knife?  (Read 10992 times)

Offline Vote for Chewbacca the Wookiee

• Youngling
  • If you haven't seen me before, I'm new to you.
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery... Who's been under the knife?
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2004, 06:57 PM »
Had mine done three months ago, also as an emergency. Hurt like hell for a month, because the the cut was right on my beltline.
Conspiracy, Old Cocky! Conspiracy!
"The truths we cling to depend greatly on our pwn point of view." - Ben Kenobi
Appearing for the first time anywhere outside of Rebelscum, Chewbacca the...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2004, 12:10 AM »
I had no idea you were even in the hospital Matt, sorry bout that.  Hope all is well now though.  Never had the appendectomy, but have had tonsils out and been to the E-room for more than my fair share of injuries (accidental and caused by others or myself).

Hospitals always make my head hurt...  The smells are very strange.  My mother just had heart surgery and I was there for that and had a horrendous headache between that, the cruddy rainy weather, and of course stress.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2004, 12:17 PM »
Speaking of which, anyone care to place bets as to where I am this very minute?  Yep, typing this from a post-op hospital bed following an emergency appendectomy.  Worst 2 days of my life...   >:(

Holy crap, Matt! That just plain sucks...and on the weekend, too.  :P
How did you get Internet access at the hospital? When I was in the hospital, we were lucky if the buzzer to the nurses station worked.  ;)

Feel better!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2004, 12:24 PM »
I also want to know how you were able to stay there so long, I had my surgery Super Bowl Sunday and was home the next day, trying to roll out of bed without passing out

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Phew!  Finally got my ass outta there last night a little after 9pm!   8)  Almost 3.5 days in there...  The reason I was in there so long Scott, is 'cause the stupid doctors would NOT come to see me after the surgery AT ALL.  They were supposed to come visit the very next morning (Sun.) to evaluate me, and LMK if/when I would be allowed to be discharged.  Well, Sunday morning came and went, and nothing.  We had the doctor paged a couple times during the day and he told the nurses he'd stop by at some point that day, but as the day rolled on, he never came by...   >:(  Plus, I was pretty much ready to go early in the afternoon on Sunday, since I was up walking around, eating regular meals with no problem, not too much pain at all, and all the nurses (none of which were hot  >:() said I was good to go...

So Monday rolls around, and we get the same damned routine all over again - "doctor's real busy (since he's the trauma surgeon), and he'll be by to talk to you as soon as he can..."   ::)  Monday pretty much comes and goes, and NOTHING.  Patty and I were getting so pissed off, that we called the doctor's office last night around 8pm, and got through to his emergency pager, where we demanded he get his butt down to my room for a visit immediately!  Shockingly, the dude finally wanders in around 9pm, talks to me for about 30 seconds, and takes off.  Checks my stomach out, asks about the pain, and then doesn't even tell me if I'm discharged or not, just to call his office some time soon to set up an appointment.  Then he bolts.

So I had to zip down to the nurse's station where I caught him filling out a form before he left, and asked if I was discharged or what?  He said "yeah, of course.  You look great."   ::)  Then I had to ask him if I was allowed to go back to work now, drive, do other stuff, etc. to which he said "NO WAY.  You're totally grounded for the rest of the week!"  That might have been some useful information to tell me earlier dumbass.  Had I not chased him down, I'd have no idea what I was allowed to do or not do.

Add to that crap that my surgery was delayed every hour for about 8 hours throughout Friday night/Saturday morning & afternoon, and you start to see the total ineptitude of these 'tards.   :-X  All that aside, the surgery went great though, and they used a newer technique that's not so invasive (3 small incisions below my belly button, not a giant ugly slash like Scott got  :P).  Didn't even get stitches.  They used some type of "glue" to seal it all up for a couple weeks (which I can even shower with no problem).  So aside from the endless delays and total ineptitude before and after (but not during) the surgery, it's all good, and I'm glad it's all done with now!   8)

...How did you get Internet access at the hospital? When I was in the hospital, we were lucky if the buzzer to the nurses station worked.  ;)

Well, the nurse's alert button averaged about 10 minutes on the response time, so that thing was worthless for me too Bob...  But I had the coolest pull down monitor thingee.  This 17" monitor was on a giant swinging crane-like gadget, so I could move it all over the room.  It was a touch-screen that I could change between TV, radio, internet, e-mail, games, and movies.  Very cool, and it definitely helped me keep my sanity during my way too lengthy stay there.  It was a little tough typing stuff out (to post here), since a touch screen keyboard would pop up on the screen, and my arms would get tired being held up there while I arduously typed away.  But since I'm so damned tough, I was still able to chime in here a few times to the gang while I was laid up...   :P

The best thing about the whole experience was that I think the new and improved "Appendix-less Matt" now has better luck with the Star Wars figure hunting, 'cause when I got out last night, I had Patty swing me by my local TRU, WM and Target (which were all just a couple minutes away), and what do I find?  For the first time ever - Rappertunie, and the whole Star Destroyer wave.  Go figure...   8)

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.   :-*

- Matt
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 01:46 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2004, 01:53 PM »
Huh sounds familiar, I was supposed to get cut earlier in the morning, the doctor said I should be awake enough to watch the Super Bowl.  Fat chance on that one, I think I was 6 hours late.  He also didn't come to see me the next day but did call and tell me I could leave and didn't really give me any instructions either.  Bastards

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and my money is still on Princess Loofah getting his Appendix out in 3 short months

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2004, 02:46 PM »
Yeah, doctors!  ::)  You can go home when I get to see you!  >:(

Remember that car accident I mentioned back in October:

I was banged up pretty bad. My lower back & my right knee still feel the pain. I had a seat belt tattoo running across my body. From my left shoulder to my right hip. The buckle cilp cut me hard. It was the worst bruising the 2 police officers ever saw.

Finally the tests are over for the time being & my room is ready. Just one more check of the lungs with the stethoscope & I'm on my way. The the doctor says, something is not right here! Half of my left lung collapsed.  Well off for more tests. After a few more hrs, everything is fine. I go to my room for 3 days.

After resting & more tests, I get the go ahead to go home & the doctor said I can return to work on Monday! Wrong!

I went to my doctor & he got my records from the hospital & I was off work for 6 months!

I got to the hospital around 4:30 am Monday & they said I could go home Thursday morning & the doctor never saw me till the evening around 7 pm.  >:(

Not to sure if Brad is on the hit list Scott, I still have mine, Tonsils too.  :P   Though my knee is acting up with some pain!  :-\

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2004, 05:36 PM »
Feeling pretty much back to normal, aside from some minor tummy pain (especially when I sneeze).  But when I went in for my checkup with the surgeon on Friday, he said even though I'm pretty much fully recovered now, I need to stay home from work for another week or two!   :o  That's on top of the week I just missed already.  I was pretty surprised, as I was planning on going back to work on Monday.  But he said I need to just continue to relax and heal at home, and avoid stressful places like the office and L.A. traffic.  Needless to say, the partners at my firm were PISSED OFF!  Fortunately, I've got some work with me from a couple weeks ago, so I can do a little bit of work here at home next week.

Scott (or anyone else who's had an appendectomy) - how long were you out?  Is my surgeon insane, or is this pretty common?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2004, 05:45 PM »
A week, I think I pushed it a little though because I would come home wiped out.  Everything on the outside is healed but it took a long time for the inside to heal.  In fact I still have some pain down there from time to time

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2004, 05:48 PM »
3 weeks off for an appendectomy!   8)  With a note from my doctor for work, I would still get full pay!  ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2005, 11:17 PM »
An oldy but a goody here.  No new surgery, but I think my body is desperately trying to tell me something.  Basketball is apparently not my friend.

Every spring we play our alumni basketball tournament - three games in three days.  Easy in your 20s, not so down the road.  Played two games and had to take the third off for my daughter's birthday party.  Two days later my right knee (formerly known as my good knee) starts hurting.  Get it checked, second degree sprain of the medial collateral ligament.  Yay me.

Practicing this fall, I end up stepping on a guys foot wrong and go over forwards.  Try to get up and damn, my right ankle hurts.  Not so unusual since I've basically fried every ligament in there, so I'm usually just tearing scar tissue and the pain subsides quickly with little to no swelling.  This time though it keeps hurting and WTF, it's starting to swell.  Yeah, I found a new ligament and apparently I've achieved something of notoriety.  I managed to sprain (second degree, my fave) the ligament that runs behind the ankle ??? :o ::) something that is apparently next to impossible to do.

Well, had a game tonight, couple of weeks after the ankle sprain.  All taped up and good to go.  Came out of the game fine, but my ankle is sore, as is my knee.  The best part?  Tomorrow I get to go for x-rays to see if I broke the zygomatic bone (zygomatic arch, bone under my eye).  My left eye is pretty much closed and should be a lovely shade of blue tomorrow. 

I wonder if there's anything to learn here? :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2005, 11:56 PM »
I'm sure someone will come along and make an old man joke. :P

Well, I'm having oral surgery the week before Christmas - the wisdom teeth are coming out. Actually, since I'm still pretty young, I should say they're being dug out. I hear bad things about wisdom teeth, hopefully it doesn't hurt too much... :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2005, 12:03 AM »
I'm sure someone will come along and make an old man joke. :P

Haha, Brent is OLD!    

(Happy now? :P)

The best part? Tomorrow I get to go for x-rays to see if I broke the zygomatic bone (zygomatic arch, bone under my eye). My left eye is pretty much closed and should be a lovely shade of blue tomorrow.

Ouch. Not cool! I'm really squeamish about stuff happening to my eyes, and I didn't even think about breaking bones around there. :-\ Hope everything turns out OK.

Good luck to both of youse.... May the Force be with you and may your nurses be hot. ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:29 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2005, 01:28 AM »
I was in a car accident back in May 1999, broke my lower right leg in 4 places. After a couple hour surgery was a new owner of a titanium rod plus two screws. Got a nifty scar and I usually set off metal detectors depending on how high of a frequency they have on it.  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2005, 02:24 PM »
Nothing but an emergency appendectomy for me in college.  Unless you count wisdome teeth.

My daughter had open heart surgery at 6 months old, though, and that was stressful enough that it may as well have been me.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.