Author Topic: CW Clone Turbo Tank  (Read 65841 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: CW Clone Turbo Tank
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2009, 02:25 PM »
I know some have complained its not movie/cartoon accurate, not big enough, etc.  But I think as far as a kid's toy this thing is pretty sweet.

I brought my ($75) Turbo Tank in the house the other day and my 2 year old son spotted it.  He never used to give my toy piles a second glance, but now he just hollers "out" or "open" when he sees something he likes.

Well he went ape sh*t when he saw the Turbo Tank box.  20 minutes later it was assembled, rolling, firing missiles, playing sounds, shooting a BARC speeder, etc.  My son was a big twitchy, sweaty, giggling mess an hour later. 

I've got to say, that is probably one of the nicest designed "toys" I've ever seen.  At first I was really concerned when I let him at the $100 toy, but its really well designed and quite sturdy.  Most of the doors, guns, etc. pop off when too much pressure is applied.  I was quickly impressed with the design and confidently walked away while my son had at it.

As a 38 year old "collector" I can nitpick.  But as a 38 year old "dad" I can say without a doubt Hasbro nailed it.

I agree with that.  My son is 2-1/2, and every time I let him in my Star Wars room, he gravitates to one thing - my Turbo Tank.  He seems amazed by it.  I might have to get him one for Christmas for him to be able to enjoy... or his birthday in the summer.  

Though my wife would probably get onto me for that.   ;D

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Saw the Turbo Tank at the local Costco today for $79.99 next to the GH MFs.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Our local WM had two of these on clearance for around $50.  I have to admit I was really tempted to grab one (I still am, to some extent), but passed.  I don't really have the extra money right now for one thing, and I'm really doing my best to cut back on things a bit because of budget and space.  Again though, for $50, it is tempting.  They still seem to be full price everywhere else I've seen though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30 PM »
So somewhere I saw someone say half off Turbo Tanks (*shudder*) were roaming at K-Mart...  So I figured, what the hell, I'll go see if I can find one since K-Mart is still a big player in my area and I have nothing else going on.

Well mine had one...  Clearance $84 then an additional 50% off that, so $42 Turbo Tank...  I mulled it over briefly and figured I'd pick it up and customize it into essentially a Clone equivalent of a Scout Car (It's no M8 Greyhound, but it's got the Star Wars equivalency of that I figure since it's so small, plus it's like a forward observation/command vehicle I figure).

Anyway, so I got this home... 

I gotta admit, I stand by my issues with it in terms of scale, and dumb **** like the Speederbike out its ass (What's with Hasbro wanting vehicles to shoot stuff out their ass?), but other than that I think the Turbo Tank's a great toy...  The sounds, the headlights (Where's that on the AT-TE?  I want headlights on my TE's!), the interior detailing... 

I will still be customizing it like I planned, but there's not a lot to do, to make it more belieavable as a small scout/command tank that maybe is rolling along behind the AT-TE's and other armor.  It doesn't have many weapons externally, actually, and if I can just find a way to connect the cockpit to the mid-section of the body in a realistic way (and connect the "crow's nest" to the cockpit somehow), then I'm pretty sure I can appreciate it even more.

As toys go though, it's really great...  Perhaps better than the TE in ways too, as it rolls and that makes for a more fun toy to kids I think. 

Anyway, color me more impressed than I thought I was going to be...  It's really nice.  I still wouldn't have dropped $100 on it, but I could see doing it for a kid and why they'd want it.  Very cool!

One complaint...  I can't get some of the doors to snap shut tight, and they want to flop open.  That's annoying.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Yeah, this is something that I really wasn't able to afford at the time it was out and I've sort of been hoping to see some of those "$50 blowout" sales we saw a few times with the AT-TE.  I did see one on clearance at Wal-Mart once after Christmas (for $50), but just didn't have the money at the time to spend on something like that.  If we see some discounted ones later this year, I might bite - particularly after reading the positive notes from Jesse and others.  Like you mentioned, I looked at it much like a "fun toy" more than anything else.

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Found an almost complete Turbo Tank today at Goodwill for a whopping $2.99!  I could not pass that up.  It was missing the top gun and the figure.  Still had the "hidden" missiles and the BARC.  Almost skipped up the checkstand...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Found an almost complete Turbo Tank today at Goodwill for a whopping $2.99!  I could not pass that up.  It was missing the top gun and the figure.  Still had the "hidden" missiles and the BARC.  Almost skipped up the checkstand...

That is just insane.  Nice find!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19 PM »
That is indeed awesome JDH...  :)

I don't think ANYONE got one that cheap, haha.

I've got mine in pieces here still debating how I want to go about my original plan for it almost 2 years ago now.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77