Author Topic: 30th Anniversary Tin Collector Sets  (Read 60491 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 30th Anniversary Tin Collector Set
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2006, 04:39 PM »
The TRU ad merely means for me that the TRU closest to me was "supposed to have them" but to check Ebay because the "fell off the truck"....

I'll hit a couple across town.  I assumed it would be just Wal Mart getting them. (not like exclusive, just distribution-wise, kinda like the Endor wave and Target)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
UPDATE
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I apologize to my local TRU and it's scalper base....I was able to score all three OT Tins there this morning. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 01:17 PM by Paul »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Mine still had nothing... No Tins in site.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Pit droid where do you live? If you got the ESB set in your town you must of got ANH. :o
I wanna know if there close to here.

i live in San Jose, CA  8)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:32 PM by PITDROID1468 »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2006, 07:36 PM »
TRU had apparently gotten one case of the OT tins this morning.  The packout was 2 x TESB, and 1 each of the ANH and ROTJ sets, all of which were still on the shelf as of 12:30 PM (when I got my ANH set).  29.99 was the price, and the figures on the pegs that I got for free were limited to Padmes, Lushros Dofine, Jerjerrod, Naboo Soldier, Endor Threepio, GB Threepio, 2 Hammerheads, and an R5-D4.  One would think that TRU would keep the pegs stocked for this promotion, but then again, it is TRU.  I was lucky enough on my way out without a figure (isn't it sad that I would turn down a free figure) to see a lone Wookiee Warrior on the X-Men shelf, so I went ahead and grabbed him to hold down the gunner seat on the Ornithopter.

Okay, enough rambling about the free crap, let's get to the overpriced hunk of metal with four rehashes inside.  ;D

Long story short:

-Threepio's the VOTC version with no paint changes and he still sucks

-Leia's the Early Bird version (I guess) and is essentially a statue and, as such, sucks (especially when compared with the VOTC Leia in this same costume)

-Vader's the Evolutions Vader with a new torso (with the cloth sculpted over the chest plate rather than the original soft goods over the plate) and a new head based on Anakin from ROTS, but significantly whiter (think ESB/ROTJ OT Vader for the shading).  Thankfully the inner workings of the chin vocalizer thing are sculpted on this version (as opposed to the ROTS Deluxe version), so this one is a great figure, and probably the best Vader with a Hayden likeness.

-Sandtrooper is, everywhere but the upper torso, pauldron, and head, the currently shipping TSC Sandtrooper.  The upper torso, as mentioned elsewhere, seems to be a little different to accomodate the Jango head, which admittedly doesn't bother me as much as some people.  The pauldron is white (I don't know what that makes this guy, someone take away my OT fanboy card) and seems a bit wider around the neck than before, and there is NO DIRT OR SAND ON THE ARMOR WHATSOEVER.  The accessories include the standard blaster pistol, the backpack, the removable Oreo canister, and the removable pauldron and helmet.  The only sore point?  The Jango head used appears to be the same as Commander Cody, and is molded in a really light-toned plastic.  Basically, instead of having the Maori complexion, it is as white as that woman on "Desperate Housewives."  Kind of sad, and I'll probably pick up an extra Cody just to fix this.

Okay, so overall, two crappy figures (Leia and Threepio), one almost-great figure (the Sandtrooper), and one really great figure (Vader).  Oh, and you get a metal lunchbox which, all things being equal, isn't all that great either.   :-\

I would like to say that despite the use of the absolutely horrid POTF2 Endor Rebel Soldier sculpt, the paint job and redecoing on the one in the ROTJ set looked REALLY good.  But the Leia looked like crap, so she made up for it.  ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2006, 09:05 PM »
-Vader's the Evolutions Vader with a new torso (with the cloth sculpted over the chest plate rather than the original soft goods over the plate) and a new head based on Anakin from ROTS, but significantly whiter (think ESB/ROTJ OT Vader for the shading).  Thankfully the inner workings of the chin vocalizer thing are sculpted on this version (as opposed to the ROTS Deluxe version), so this one is a great figure, and probably the best Vader with a Hayden likeness.

There are some other differences as well.  On mine, most of the buttons on the chest plate are black, and not some kind of color.  Additionally the gauntlets are signifigantly different.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2006, 10:04 PM »
appears to be the same as Commander Cody, and is molded in a really light-toned plastic.  Basically, instead of having the Maori complexion, it is as white as that woman on "Desperate Housewives."  Kind of sad, and I'll probably pick up an extra Cody just to fix this.

That is funny, this was one of the things I thought was a very nice surprise.  And it gets bonus points from me because of it.  I like that the Bikers in the Tin don't look like Jango Fett either, a bit refreshing.

I tried some other heads on the body, but they all warp the helmet.  So Han storm trooper will have to wait.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2006, 01:04 PM »
Are these things still shipping regularly??  I've only seen them for myself once at a TRU.  Not once have I seen them at a Target or WM.  I still need ep 5 & 6 to finish off my set.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #232 on: October 30, 2006, 02:24 PM »
At $30 I just oculdn't afford them this month (the PT ones) and now they're gone...  I'm wondering how easy to be found these will be in the coming month(s).  I'd like a set, but man the price kills me on these.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 30, 2006, 08:28 PM »
Ok as much as I moan and groan about the Jango Heads...I opened up the Ep V. set yesterday.  The snowtrooper helmet and head are pretty cool.  The body is still the suck with limited articulation...but if they are going to build the SA Snowtrooper around this head and helmet, I'd be OK with that.

The Han has an incorrect brown coat....and snow aps.  The clean face Luke Hoth is neat, but the Han and Luke Hoth really need the SA treatment, I love Hoth.

The Chewie Hoth is really cool even though it is a minimum effort figure from Hasbro.  I have him Lukes oversized goggles so he could repair the M. Falcon...

I am going to open the EP VI later this week (the limited amount of OT stuff between now and the end of the year has me rationing my stuff).

I've seen the PT ones twice now and passed each time (I know shocking)...I might grab the one with the RED Astromech in it, but it will have to be at Wal Mart so I can save $3.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2006, 09:17 PM »
The Han has an incorrect brown coat

***Hears Scott storming into this thread***
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2006, 09:59 PM »

Come on people.  It's 2006, not 2003.  Let it go.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:01 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2006, 11:00 PM »
I saw one tin the other day. First time, but i left it on the shelf. Not really that interested.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Kit

• Jedi Initiate
  • "I want more clones and I know I shouldn't."
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2006, 12:16 AM »
Are these things still shipping regularly??  I've only seen them for myself once at a TRU.  Not once have I seen them at a Target or WM.  I still need ep 5 & 6 to finish off my set.

Where I live, these are just showing up at TRU.  They are still listed as "unavailable" in the system at all targets in my area.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2006, 09:48 AM »

I guess I worded that wrong...I meant it is the wrong SHADE of brown....at least that is my answer here.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 31, 2006, 10:11 AM »

Where I live, these are just showing up at TRU.  They are still listed as "unavailable" in the system at all targets in my area.

same here
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!