Author Topic: X-Men/Wolverine Movies  (Read 85632 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men/Wolverine Movies
« Reply #285 on: October 20, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Logan

Wolverine staring in the Last of Us.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 23, 2016, 02:42 PM »
This looks like the "Old Man Logan" storyline from the comics.  I wonder if they will just set it as a stand alone in the future or have some time travel aspect again?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2016, 01:28 PM »
Hopefully no time travel. Curious how the X-Men died...yes, every comic reader has said how it happened there, but this isn't a direct adaptation.

Engineered virus maybe?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2016, 01:36 PM »
With Future Past ending on such a happy note (haven't seen Apocalypse yet), it kinda sucks if this is the canonical timeline now with all mutants dying.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Hopefully no time travel. Curious how the X-Men died...yes, every comic reader has said how it happened there, but this isn't a direct adaptation.

Engineered virus maybe?

I don't follow the X-Men that closely, but I think Wolvie kills most of the heroes under mind control, which pushes him into seclusion as well.  Kinda solves the whole mutant problem I guess, except for the bad guys.  I think in the comics, present-Wolvie also dies, but Old Logan from the future somehow makes his way to the present.  Could be a way to bring older Logan into the mix with the younger class of X-Men from the last movie, though I'm not sure Jackman wants to do anymore Wolverining.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2016, 08:08 PM »

Engineered virus maybe?

What in the Fox X-verse actually has been a direct adaptation?  The Phoenix story?  Nope.  Days of Future Past?  Uh, no.  Wolverine limited series (4 issue Japan story arc)/ The Wolverine?  Again, no. 

Granted, the Marvel Cinematic Universe hasn't been completely faithful to all of their source material.  But the guidelines have been there in a lot of the origin stories.  Iron Man's story was adapted to the present day.  The Captain America origin was very faithful.  But the way Bryan Singer has steered a lot of these stories has been a huge stretch.  And I've had a very tough time with how these X-Men films have diverged from some amazing source material.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2016, 05:22 PM »
I liked most of the X-Men stuff thus far, but you're right - the original comic stories are that much better.  Days of Future Past would have been awesome on the big screen, but I think you'd need to have a handful of movies in front of it to make any sense out of the storyline.  Some of these just don't transfer well to film.

As for Marvel vs. Fox taking liberties, I think they're pretty equal.  Cap and wolverine have origins similar to the comics, but a lot of other characters don't.  Having Stark create Ultron, Jarvis become Vision, Hawkeye married with kids, Shield building the Avengers...that's all a hodgepodge of very divergent stories that don't map at all to the comics.  On the flip side, I just watched XMen Apocalypse last week and loved the little Weapon X cameo.  As long as they loosely tie to the characters I love, I'm usually pretty happy with the Marvel-based stuff, outside of the crap that has passed for Fantastic Four and Hulk films.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2016, 08:15 PM »
I agree that there's been a lot of divergences with both movie universes.  With the Avengers, the bones of the original team were largely there with the original members:  Cap, Thor, Hulk & Iron Man.  The SHIELD angle is something that came from the Ultimate universe, so I kind of can deal with that take on the story.  As for Ultron, Vision, Pym, et al?  I can see the concerns.

The X-Men films started with something of a hodge-podge team that was more of a composite of the team over the years rather than something that was true to the books.  Cyclops and Jean Grey were the only original members on the team.  Storm was with the 3rd wave that came in during Giant Sized X-Men, as was Wolverine.  Iceman was a younger student at the school and not a member of the team, and there was no presence of Angel or Beast until the 3rd film.  Say what you will, but the original X-Men team actually had some decent stories.  And they also began to incorporate characters like Banshee, Polaris, Havok and Magneto well before Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus ever made it into any books.  Could that original team have carried a movie or two before introducing the Giant Sized X-Men team?  It all would have depended on multiple factors:  the director, script and cast.  But if you did that I could imagine the fan outcry:  where's Wolverine?  And I think that Fox wanted to make sure that he was in the mix from the get-go purely from a marketing standpoint.

But what about the possibility of building a universe?  I don't think that Fox really had the foresight to see it through.  But imagine two 'First Class' sort of films that might have led up to a third movie that would finally introduce the Storm/Wolverine/Colossus/Nightcrawler, etc team?  That could have been something great.  And then you could potentially get another few films after that with the Phoenix saga, DoFP, and maybe eventually Apocalypse without it being such a ******* mess.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 24, 2017, 10:26 AM »
so after seeing the new Logan trailer I got to thinking. Ryan Reynolds has said he won't be in the new Logan movie because his character doesn't 'fit' in the theme of the movie. BUUUUUUUT what if there is another character that might link Logan and Deadpool. What if, since the movie is a bit more in the future, Cable is introduced in Logan movie. Maybe even time traveling and taking X23 to the past to save her and introduce her to Deadpool. after all she is the NEW Wolverine.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 24, 2017, 04:27 PM »
so after seeing the new Logan trailer I got to thinking. Ryan Reynolds has said he won't be in the new Logan movie because his character doesn't 'fit' in the theme of the movie. BUUUUUUUT what if there is another character that might link Logan and Deadpool. What if, since the movie is a bit more in the future, Cable is introduced in Logan movie. Maybe even time traveling and taking X23 to the past to save her and introduce her to Deadpool. after all she is the NEW Wolverine.

The X-Men time travelling to the past then resetting all their characters and completely erasing the previous timeline(s)?  Ha, that would never happen my friend. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 3, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Just got back from seeing "Logan" about an hour ago.  I enjoyed the movie.  The story was pretty good, but there are some things that are alluded to that you have to figure out on your own if you don't know the Old Man Logan story (which I didn't, so I had to do some reading afterwards to understand a couple things). 

The movie is pretty intense, brutal in violence and definitely warrants the "R" rating.  Definitely not one to take the little ones to... don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling what happens, but will gladly take pms if people are curious.

There aren't any after-credits (but there is a pre-movie extended trailer).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 3, 2017, 06:43 PM »
Good to hear.  Sam really wants to see this, but I think it's going to have to go on his wait list if it's that violent.  Appreciate the head's up on no-trailer, so I don't wait around for it when I go.  What was the extended preview for?  Guardians?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 3, 2017, 07:50 PM »
I'll pm you details of the teaser.  Do you want general ideas on the violence?

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 6, 2017, 01:25 PM »
It was really good.  Very graphic though.  Too much for children but I never felt that it really crossed over into gratuitous territory.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 7, 2017, 05:27 PM »
I saw it yesterday after picking up kids from school( near 10 year old boy and 12 year old girl) violence wasn't bad at all. Nothing that wasn't in the Terminator or Predator and I saw both those movies around when I was their ages, give or take. now when you think about Predator and Terminator both old movies so I think we, now that we're parents, don't really think about how violent those movies are because we've seen them so many times, most of us. I guess it depends on your kids level of maturity. We watch walking dead as a family. There is a nip slip, to be honest I think I have bigger b00bs then the girl that showed em off. I think the preview for CHiPs was inappropriate that was very Rated R mostly because it has very se xual jokes. 

for me anyways the movie left some 'silly' questions.
like since x23 has the adamantium, and look like she has it all over and not just the claws, does that mean she won't grow any taller. I mean think about it adamantium isn't going to stretch, and she's still pretty young. the girl did a FANTASTIC job. But the fact that she was so young I think it'd have been better if older like the comic version would've been better.

now I know this is supposed to be Jackmans last outing as wolverine, but it'd have been cool if Chuck had been able to switch minds with the other(for those that have seen you know what I'm talking about, for those that haven't I'm trying to leave as vague as possible while still discussing with those that have seen it)

now in comics Logan is the one responsible for killing the xmen allowing the villans to take over the world. in the movie its now pretty much a human only world. so in the movie is it implying that Chuck is the one responsible for there not being ANY mutants left or just what happened to the other xmen?

And it does kind of sucks after what happens in Future Past Xmen movie that the mutants pretty much wind up in the same boat in the future. so its almost all for nothing as far as mutants are concerned.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge