Author Topic: Lead and Toy Recalls - What's Next?  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Recalls - What's Next?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:33 PM »
..but I thought we all knew that about the magnet issue?

Based on what?  You didn't link an article referencing this, you admitted that you weren't up to speed on the whole magnet thing since your kids were older, and E Franks referenced a Magnetix recall from last year. 

Sorry, I didn't know I had to link it for you. i thought this was enough for you-

I never thought of how magnets swallowed could be harmful until lately

because I just read this article a few days ago- the article opened my eyes to the internal damage, not you.

DS

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 01:38 PM »
I never though magnets would be any more of an issue than a kid swallowing a coin or something similar.  It never occurred to me that if there were two of them they could attract to each other across the walls of intestine and cause a tear and other problems. 

The Magnetix toys brought out that revelation.

****, on farms you put magnets in cows on purpose to attract things like nails and whatnot so that they don't make it to the intestines or damage the stomach.  Obviously, people aren't cows, but still, the magnet problem just wasn't something that occurred to me till last year.

Now, lead paint on the other hand, we've know about that for as long as I can remember.  I remember there being product recalls on fast food glasses back in the early 80's due to lead in the paint and problems they were having in apartment complexes with lead based trim paint and kids teething on it.

E...

Ugh, no thanks on the cow visual

- on lead paint, believe it or not that was still an issue at several military installations in the last 5 years. Many homes involved. As well as asbestos issues too. Stems from alot of old 1950-60's homes still existing on bases-most of them are being demolished now- alot of the bases have been getting more modern style housing over the last few years.

DS

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 10:00 PM »
I suspect this'll give Hasbro the edge when it comes to the 2007 Holiday season... Just speculation though.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 02:05 AM »
Huh, good point Reid.

(oops am I wearing it out ;))

DS

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 5, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Crazy.  I bought the Cars Sarge for my son just before the recall was issued.  He played with it once.  I haven't sent it back, yet, though.  I want to get him another first.  It's on my desk at work.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Hasbro Has No Lead
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 06:46 PM »
Wasn't sure exactly where to post this and I'm not even sure it's that important, but here's an article on MSNBC that says that Hasbro will soon be taking out newspaper ads regarding lead saftey in its toys.

You can't tell me that you haven't thought twice when picking up a figure if it has lead in it especially now after all of these recalls.  I know I have and I don't even open the majority of my toys.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Has No Lead
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 07:23 PM »

You can't tell me that you haven't thought twice when picking up a figure if it has lead in it especially now after all of these recalls.  I know I have and I don't even open the majority of my toys.

I'm usually lucid enough to not eat my action figures, so I can say with 100% honesty that I was never worried.

Still a little nervous about that vintage Hammerhead I accidentally inhaled though.  The shape of his noggin felt pretty awkward on the way down to boot.

Still and all, I'm thankful it wasn't Ephant Mon, so I guess you have to count your blessings.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda