Author Topic: Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023  (Read 6840 times)

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2022, 11:05 PM »
I get not using the plastic, but couldn't they still include a small window/opening to see a little bit of what's inside?  The new Transformer line has this where there isn't a big enough to steal anything, but you can still see part of the actual figure inside to know what you're getting.

Can the heads be pulled off those legacy transformers? That's a problem lately
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2022, 03:55 PM »
Hasbro gives TVC a rest and brings out a different graphical look and packaging. They introduce TVC 3.0 in a few years when emotions have cooled and it wont face the backlash it will now.

I would be inclined to think that’s a possibility if they had not announced Vintage Collection items that are slated to be released in the middle of 2023.  But that throne room set for The Book of Boba Fett is branded as TVC. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2022, 10:42 AM »
I think they have a "reasonable" solution for TVC by packing the cardback with a box.  Heck, they could go full mission fleet and put the whole thing in a box with a minty cardback on the inside.  Then people have a figure and a cool vintage minty card despite not getting the sealed package.  It's something at least.  I'm really curious to see how they do the ROTJ 6inch figures though.  The appeal there is the packaging and it's part of a larger set with the ANH and ESB figures.  Not sure how well received those would be in a "special box" when it doesn't match any of the others and they're all figures that you can get in other boxes. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Could this change pave the way for a few build-a-fig waves (without jacking up the price) to entice sales? I can certainly hope.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2022, 02:43 PM »
Could this change pave the way for a few build-a-fig waves (without jacking up the price) to entice sales? I can certainly hope.

While I love the nostalgia of TVC, I'm really hoping the packaging change can allow for a lot more creativity in accessories, pack-ins, etc.  One challenge with single carded TVC figures is it can't really accommodate anything other than basic accessories.

It'd be nice to see something fun like we've had in the past - build a droid, coins, freeze frame, etc.  I'd be all for larger and simple accessories - crates, etc.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2022, 09:13 PM »
It'd be nice to see something fun like we've had in the past - build a droid, coins, freeze frame, etc.  I'd be all for larger and simple accessories - crates, etc.

I'd take crates, mouse droids, chairs, tables, consoles, bottles, glasses, paintcans, trashcans, all around junk, build a droid parts, build a trooper parts, build an Episode IX Palpatine parts, spare army builder heads...but I'm antsy about any of it because they are so ready to throw that $27.99 world-building price around to amortize the tooling.

Remember when all the repacks came with a locker full of spare weapons?

Remember when the last carded Tatooine Luke came with a MOISTURE VAPORATOR accessory? I still buy that figure every time I see it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2022, 11:55 PM »
Remember when the last carded Tatooine Luke came with a MOISTURE VAPORATOR accessory? I still buy that figure every time I see it.

It is crazy to think that was 15 years ago.  15!

The days of those are long gone.  Luke + Moisture Vaporator, Yoda + Kybuck, Han + Torture Rack - that kind of stuff is all $20-$25 "world building" sets now.  The "build a weapon", "build a droid", coin, stand, etc stuff all died with the 5POA lines.  Now that they know we will pay for it, it's hard to go back.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2022, 09:14 AM »
GI Joe brand team Q&A round-up at HISS Tank via Twitter.

Of note here is that "new o-ring packaging for upcoming figures" line.  The two o-ring figure sets that they have done so far for GI Joe (Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow, Cobra Trooper 2-pack) have been in the same style packaging as the Kenner Retro IG-88/Dengar set (two carded figures in a box).

Also, really interested to see what happens with the 2023 Haslab Skystriker set.  They showed bubble cards for those pack-in figures but I guess they can always lean on the 'final product may vary' disclaimer.  Or can they get away with bubbles there because its direct to collectors via Haslab?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 09:20 AM by Jeff »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2022, 10:43 AM »
I'm still concerned about people swiping things from the packages, so while more pack-ins would be cool that's also just one more thing that can go missing.  Starting to feel like I might have to go 100% online ordering with this change and even then there's still risk.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2022, 12:56 PM »
I'm still concerned about people swiping things from the packages

Stopped by the toy aisle at Target and saw the heads removed from the Marvel figure in a few of the open-package boxes.  >:(

Hope the new SW design has a cutout to see part of the figure but not big enough for fingers to pull out the head.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2022, 03:11 PM »
And so it begins...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2022, 04:18 PM »
Stopped by the toy aisle at Target and saw the heads removed from the Marvel figure in a few of the open-package boxes.

And so it begins...

About a year ago, one of those viral TikTok challenges started to steal the head off a Lebron James Space Jam figure.  It was a HUGE issue for that toy line.  The packaging had to be completely revamped, the manufacturer (Moose Toys) had to send out "repair kits" (basically an adhesive plastic strip to hold the head in place) to retail to try to stop it from happening.  There was a HUGE amount of product that had to be trashed or sent back. 

I would hope Hasbro/Mattel would learn from that but...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 04:19 PM by Jeff »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2022, 10:25 PM »
About a year ago, one of those viral TikTok challenges started to steal the head off a Lebron James Space Jam figure.  It was a HUGE issue for that toy line.  The packaging had to be completely revamped, the manufacturer (Moose Toys) had to send out "repair kits" (basically an adhesive plastic strip to hold the head in place) to retail to try to stop it from happening.  There was a HUGE amount of product that had to be trashed or sent back. 

I would hope Hasbro/Mattel would learn from that but...

Yep - that's what I was referring to.  I saw dozens of pictures of the leftover headless figures on the MN Toy Posse page along with seeing several in-store myself.  What a waste.  In totally unrelated news, anyone in the market for a bunch of Lebron James heads?  Asking for a friend.

I keed, I keed.  ;D

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: May 2, 2022, 01:43 PM »
I wonder if they could do some sort of tamper-proof package with some sort of perforated cardboard with a pull tab? Once opened the perforation would have little color indicator to show the package had been opened.

(Think a cardboard version of Oreo packaging.)
"This is the way."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 2, 2022, 05:03 PM »
Or figures in milk cartons. Can't reseal that with tape.

I am only half-joking.