Author Topic: The "Original" Star Wars Fans Thread  (Read 18958 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The "Original" Star Wars Fans Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 12:50 PM »
it seems like nearly every article spirals into some love/hate Star Wars dick measuring contest

Pretty much.  I get emails all the time asking for the ability to comment on front page articles here at JediDefender and I have ZERO interest in allowing the 'love/hate dick measuring' like Jayson called it. It's too easy for anyone with a Disqus account to come along and **** all over everything on a whim.

I know it's old school and it costs us a lot of advertising clicks (and potential revenue), but we will probably maintain our separate old-school forum here until this site dies.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Thank you for that, Jeff. That's why Id rather spend my time around here over any of the other fan sites. I do like Yakface a lot too, but get most of their scoops from the Twitter feed so I can avoid those kinds of douchey comments.

It's hard to escape though, I play the SW Galaxy of Heroes app a lot and even in there people are always posting stupid things in the Guild chats like BOYCOTT SOLO or FIRE KATHLEEN KENNEDY, etc.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 01:42 PM »
For sure. If I was a smart man I'd read your post and just avoid the comments.

That’s what I do. Jayson is doing some fantastic reporting. But it seems that a lot of sites that have the Disqus comment option are having problems with people turning those comments sections into full blown dumpster fires. So I just cannot be bothered with Disqus in general.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 08:04 PM »
The don't see the movie opening weekend to show Kathleen Kennedy is one of my new personal favorites.

I also like the "OT fan embargo". Please don't lump me in your asinine nonsense. I'm an OT fan and am embargoing nothing
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Exactly.  I’m 40.  I like what Disney is doing and I’ve collected since the vintage weren’t vintage.  Do not assume your microcosm of dip**** friends = “everyone” who likes the OT.  I think most of these people just live in a bubble and you can’t argue with them...  so why do they insist on engaging the rest of us who just take every movie as it comes, and enjoy (or not) each film and just wait on the next one?  I don’t wanna argue why you should like it when you don’t so why remind me you don’t?  Just leave the hobby and the series!

None of us even want to convince these people to come back!  It’s more seat space for the rest of us!  Feel free to not engage.  Your point of dislike is clear.  The only reply to it is “ok”.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Like Dave, I'm pretty sheltered and pretty much just go to JD for my SW news, so hadn't heard about any of this until today.  Its unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess.  I think almost everything from Disney has been better than almost everything from the prequels, so I can't relate to all the hate.  Its not always my favorite and I'm not known for being shy about stuff I don't like, but there's no reason to full on hate any of this stuff.  I loved TFA and RO, and even TLJ had its moments.

I honestly think this is more of a function of the times and people's ability to criticize or hate from the comfort and anonymity of their little corner in the basement.  For small minded people who have no other outlet for their frustrations, the internet is a safe zone where they can beat up on something else to distract them from something they hate about their own life.  Its really sad if you think about it - someone is dedicating their precious time to go to a Star Wars website to complain about how much they don't like Star Wars and make others feel bad about it.   ::)  Life's too short for that nonsense.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 05:22 PM »
It IS pathetic that every page/ad what-not for recent movies gets attacked. 

"They should burn every copy of TLJ."
"Mary Sue this."
"I hate Rose."
"Vice Admiral Gender Studies" What?!

These complainers aren't Star Wars fans.  They don't get the subtle message that is put out there about acceptance of differences (cantina, rebellion, senate, Han/Chewie).

But hey, let's blame Kathleen Kennedy for one's own insecurities.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Justin's take on TLJ would be how I'd expect a rational Star Wars fan to react. You didn't love it. You had plenty of issues. You shared those issues and discussed/debated it online.

At no point did you decide Kathleen Kennedy needed to die or declare to never enjoy another Star Wars entity again.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Exactly.

Basically if You kept coming into every topic On Star Wars (not even TLJ...  it could be toys, Han Solo, any rumor of a future film whatever), and basically said “it’s too bad Disney ruined all of Star Wars with their SJW Agenda!  The OT is the only real Star Wars!”, and you didn’t just say that one time but Every single thread or the comments below every ad or trailer...  that’s basically what is going on on sites that have Disqust integrated in them, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit...  everything.

I posted on my twitter feed something just saying I found the background idea of a Solo character (a droid...  I’m trying to be completely non spoilers vague here) to be funny.  Some guy who didn’t even follow me, so he had to have actively been searching for the subject in some way, started in with Disney SJW Agenda, Star Wars is forever ruined, Lucas never did this, I don’t want messages in my Star Wars blah blah blah.

It’s often not even remotely articulate too.  This guy at least had coherent thoughts even though I thought they were dumb.  Usually it’s just blind hate without much logic applies and a whole lot of “I’m all for diversity BUT.......”, and whatever comes next just makes you sad that these are or were your peers.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 11:30 PM »
I have a sickness. I can't stay away. The particular person who posted the following is by far the most obnoxious of the group. I worry my head will explode soon if I don't let it go.

"Its really important to send Disney a message. Boycott this weekend will help to do that. And boycott Episode 9 altogether. Its good to see the fans come together for the right cause. The Rebel Alliance is back!"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 12:26 AM »
Unfortunately while I don’t think this stupidity is making a dent at all, I do think the saga has some fatigue, especially with close releases like this has been.  It’s a shame too cuz it really was a fun film and I’m gonna definitely catch it again or maybe two more times.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 02:36 PM »
It can definitely be frustrating. Everyone has a right to their opinions of course, and everything that comes out isn't going to be for everyone. Personally, I've enjoyed all of the Disney movies so far (and really liked Solo), but nothing is going to replace the OT for me - probably regardless of how good it is - and I made my peace with that a long time ago. I do get frustrated with the bad attitude just going in about the new movies. I have friends who I got to know because of mutual Star Wars fandom, not to mention what you can read online, who had the attitude prior to TFA of "nope I'm not going to like it" with reasons ranging from "Disney", "nothing will be as good as Empire", "prequels", or "no one asked for this". It all seems silly to me, and I hate that some "fans" would take pleasure in a Star Wars movie failing, like with the lower than projected numbers for Solo. Personally I'd like to see sequels to Solo. I do think there were a number of factors, with Avengers and Deadpool still going strong and just five months since Last Jedi. The box office is more crowded than ever these days.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 12:38 AM »
"These are ours. You guys are just whiny little wannabes. It's our generation that you just keep wanting to copy."

I am officially saddened and embarrassed to be a 40 year old Star Wars fan

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 03:23 AM »
Welcome aboard that feeling man.  I def am an OT focused fan and stuff but the new stuff I’ve taken as it comes and it’s mostly been good to me.  Unfortunately I think a lot of “this” is just the political climate we live in really. 

I don’t feel any boycott has had much of an impact on Solo.  I think mountains of bad press leading up to it, Star Wars fatigue to some degree, the competition it faces, and a little bit of a logjam of Star Wars films hurt it much much more.  I think it’ll do ok longer term but the film was pretty awesome  even if it winds up disappointing financially for Disney.  I loved it and wanted a sequel pretty bad afterwards.  🤷‍♂️

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 06:39 AM »
I think the May release date more than any "fan" boycott is what hurt Solo.  We just had TLJ this past December.  They should have pushed Solo to December.  I think Disney had some "fear" of Avatar when it was supposed to come out this winter.  They shouldn't have messed with their formula.