Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 193396 times)

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #495 on: September 15, 2008, 10:43 PM »
I'm almost done with "I, Jedi" by Michael A. Stackpole. Really enjoying this book.

President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #496 on: September 19, 2008, 01:39 AM »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 19, 2008, 08:34 AM »
I finished "Brave Men, Dark Waters," and now I've got two books I'm kind of working through.  "The War" by Ken Burns.   I never got to watch the PBS special and really wish I had.  Being a huge WWII buff and possibly getting my masters in it, this book has been fascinating dealing with the day to day lives of people.

The other book, "The Right Stuff," by Tom Wolfe.  I just started this, so not much to comment on yet.  However, I've read Chuck Yeager's autobiography and absolutely love the guy.  I've heard the book is a lot of sensationalized history with a bit of bending of the facts thrown in with no actual interviews with the astronauts.  That kind of kills me.  But I loved this movie when I saw it as a kid and want to see it again when I finish the book.  I've always been fascinated with the early space program, so we'll see how this turns out.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 22, 2008, 01:25 PM »
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown.

In most thrillers, "hardware" consists of big guns, airplanes, military vehicles, and weapons that make things explode. Dan Brown has written a thriller for those of us who like our hardware with disc drives and who rate our heroes by big brainpower rather than big firepower. It's an Internet user's spy novel where the good guys and bad guys struggle over secrets somewhat more intellectual than just where the secret formula is hidden--they have to gain understanding of what the secret formula actually is.
In this case, the secret formula is a new means of encryption, capable of changing the balance of international power. Part of the fun is that the book takes the reader along into an understanding of encryption technologies. You'll find yourself better understanding the political battles over such real-life technologies as the Clipper Chip and PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) software even though the book looks at the issues through the eyes of fiction.

Although there's enough globehopping in this book for James Bond, the real battleground is cyberspace, because that's where the "bomb" (or rather, the new encryption algorithm) will explode. Yes, there are a few flaws in the plot if you look too closely, but the cleverness and the sheer fun of it all more than make up for them. There are enough twists and turns to keep you guessing and a lot of high, gee-whiz-level information about encryption, code breaking, and the role they play in international politics. Set aside the whole afternoon and evening for it and have finger food on hand for supper--you may want to read this one straight through.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 22, 2008, 03:18 PM »
I got sidetracked from Children of Dune for almost a month but I finished it last night and just started on the fourth one:

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #500 on: September 24, 2008, 12:49 AM »
Still reading Atlas Shrugged. Appropriate for these times.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 1, 2008, 04:55 PM »

Just And Unjust Wars: A Moral Argument With Historical Illustrations

It's better than most of its ilk because Walzer draws on historical cases (My Lai, General Sherman, the Peloponnesian War, the inevitable WWII examples) rather than dwelling on navelgalzing abstraction.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 1, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Finished Digitial Fortress. Pretty poor book from a programmer point of view. My biggest problem with the book is you would think that the NSA would have somekind of Disaster Recovery backup system in place incase the main archive gets corrupted by a virus. I guess Dan Brown never heard of tape backup when he wrote the book.

Why do I read this stuff?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 8, 2008, 09:46 AM »
In the middle of Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors. This is book 4 of the series.

Charlie Bone is starting a new school year and once again there are unpleasant surprises in store for him and his friends at Bloor's Academy. Little Billy Raven has finally been adopted, but the sinister de Greys have other plans for Billy, and it is up to Charlie and his friends to find a way to save him. Nimmo once again delivers an exciting, plot-driven tale that is sure to please fantasy and adventure fans. This new chapter in Charlie's saga is full of plot twists and thrills that will leave readers eagerly awaiting the next installment in the series. While the character development is a bit lacking, fantasy fans will enjoy the story.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 14, 2008, 04:09 PM »
Now on Charlie Bone and the Hidden King. This is book 5 of the series. I believe there are two more after this.

In the fifth installment (Orchard, 2006) of the series by Jenny Nimmo, Charlie Bone has a whole new set of mysteries to figure out—and his father is still missing. The boy discovers that the shadow from the portrait of the Red King that hangs in his school has disappeared, and everyone's pets are vanishing as well. Charlie meets Naren, a strange girl who claims to know the whereabouts of the pets. As if this wasn't enough, Charlie's mother seems to have forgotten about his father and fallen in love with an enchanter. Charlie needs his friends now more than ever if he's finally going to get to the bottom of things. To fully understand the characters and situations, the books should be read in sequence.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 14, 2008, 04:10 PM »

Just in time for Samhain  ;)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 16, 2008, 12:37 AM »
Just starting Book 5 after a loooong hiatus.

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 19, 2008, 09:57 PM »

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 19, 2008, 11:55 PM »
Felt like an easy read during midterm exam prep, so I'm almost through a library copy of Jedi Quest #6, the Shadow Trap.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 20, 2008, 01:02 AM »