Author Topic: Sculpting tips?  (Read 3918 times)

Offline VF/501

• Youngling
  • From the water we're born, and in the fire we die
    • View Profile
Sculpting tips?
« on: July 2, 2006, 12:38 AM »
Anybody have any tips on hbow to sculpt a figure from scratch?

I want some Republic Commandos.  So since I can't find any Scorchs here, I decided to make one.  Any one have tips on how to start from premo or sculpy?
Palpatine:Lord Vader
Vader:Master, my suit chafes
Palps:Do you use Darkside
Vader:Yes master
Palps:In time you will learn the true power of the darkside
Vader:Which is
To stop chafing in clothes

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Sculpting tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 2, 2006, 01:05 AM »
Good luck with this project.  It will be a challenging one.  You may have some luck getting a Scorch or two on eBay.  If you are persistant you can get one for reasonable prices.  Also a friend of mine read somewhere that Scorch is supposed to be packed in a future Saga wave again.  I'm not sure if thats true but that is what he said.

However, back on question.  I would suggest going to the tutorials on FFURG.com.  They have great tutorials there.  You can also check the JD thread index here .  There are several helpful threads at JD that cover some of these topics.

Good luck!!

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 2, 2006, 04:43 AM »
To limit frustration and avoid wanton acts of violence, make sure you have another project or two to work on when this one pisses you off.  That and lots of prescription painkillers.   

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #3 on: July 2, 2006, 09:30 AM »
Check toysrus.com, they have Scorch in, get 4 or 8 or 12 and make many different squads, it will be easier than sculpting him from scratch, its not like an easy head sculpt, this is extremely detailed. ;)

Offline VF/501

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 2, 2006, 08:53 PM »
I am still going to do the sculpt for two reasons.

1. Can't afford that many Scorchs,  Cheaper to make my own and cast multiples some day.
2. I can make a SA sculpt with better detail,  Don't believe me about the detail?  Check the Forums a couple weeks from now too see the original sculpt and practice casts of my Parjai (Fox) Clone helmet.  Will take that long cause I have to borrow a friends camera again, and I'll take good pics this time.

Anyways thanks for the tip Smarty,  I'll probly try to get one MOMC for my collection.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 2, 2006, 09:20 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your final product!!

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 2, 2006, 09:33 PM »
You can't cast ball joints like Hasbro makes em. So how is it going to be SA? Plus I hardly think sculpting and casting all the peices is cheaper than just buying a Scorch. But good luck anyways. Can't wait to see what you make and how it all comes together!
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 2, 2006, 09:44 PM »
If you take into account the time spent sculpting, molding, and casting pieces from scratch, it'll be cheaper to pay for Scorch.

Offline VF/501

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 2, 2006, 09:54 PM »
As I said above, I'll buy one for my collection.  Plus I am also doing it for the sake of the art itself, and to test my limit

Commander Kobra: I thought of a way to cast the ball joints in the hasbro style.  I'll give no details until I am absolutely sure it works.  Which won't be for a while.  If it does work I'll spill the beans on how I did it and provide pics.  But until then please be paitent.  I have a limited budget so things will take a long time for me to complete, ie gathering supplies.

Reprecht: I also want to go this route to improve my sculpting skills and besides there is more to cast than scorch- heads, weapons....... you get the idea. ;)

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 2, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Heh, that's pretty cool then. I defenitely want to see pics if this turns out... I just ordered some supplies myself and it'd help me alot to know how and what to cast so that my female mandos have ball joints instead of all swivel :D
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline VF/501

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 2, 2006, 10:44 PM »
Cool.  But sadly as I said it will take a long time to do this, and I am just practicing the basics right now.
Expect a ball joint update in about 6-8months okay.  Sorry for the long wait.  The following motto should be used for this project.  Minimize expectations to avoid disappointment.  Very true for this project.  Commander Kobra: Anyways, if its possible and if I perfect the technique I'll send you a PM with Pics and instructions.