Collectibles > LEGO

Recent Acquisitions

<< < (72/72)

Rob:
One more thought about avenues for selling... there is a Buy / Sell / Trade section for Lego on RS.  I'm not sure how active it is, but no eBay fees at least...

https://forum.rebelscum.com/forums/lego-shop-buy-sell-trade.722/

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Diddly on April 16, 2024, 05:37 PM ---see if there are any LEGO resell shops in your area. We have one here called Bricks and Minifigs, which I think may be a national chain.
--- End quote ---

They just opened one of these near me recently with plans for a couple others in the Twin Cities soon.

https://bricksandminifigs.com

I have heard too that they will try to lowball you (since they have to make a profit too).  I kinda look at them like a pawn show or trying to sell cards to collector shops.  If something is "worth" $100, they have to get it from you for 30-50% to make a profit selling it for $100.  You won't get the full value, but they take the brunt of the work finding the buyers. 

I guess it goes back Rob's point about whether you value speed and ease of selling them or full value/money.

Nicklab:
Very sorry for your loss, McMetal.

Like others have said, doing business with any dealer is going to come with a cost - they need to be able to make money on the deal.  That can definitely get things done more quickly.  But at what cost?

I guess the big question might be about any liabilities there might be for your brother's estate, and do you need to provide for anyone?  Being able to provide more funds for anyone that he left behind might be a greater consideration than getting rid of things quickly.  And that's a family decision.  I don't envy you having to make that.

This is a general topic that has been troubling me lately.  I'm a single parent, and I have one kid.  I have a TON of stuff in my collection.  I've been selling a lot of it off for the past 5 - 6 years, but there's still so much left.  And I do not want to burden my kid with this.  A friend of mine has begun selling off his collection, too, for similar reasons.  In his case it was prompted by dealing with the estate of a parent and all that was left behind.

I might go the dealer route for my GI Joe collection as well as my comics.  Simply because of how much there is.  I've been hesitant to start selling my Transformers, but those need to go, too.  Thankfully there's not that much of those and dealing with it might be a lot more manageable.  And my extra Star Wars?  That's been an ongoing effort that I'm going to keep working through.  And it's because I don't want to leave this overwhelming situation for someone to deal with.

McMetal:
Thanks Nick, appreciate that. Luckily there are no dependents to worry about, my surviving brother and I are just splitting everything 50/50. The only time consideration is how long do I feel like looking at all these boxes in my man cave? Would like to have it all wrapped up by the end of the summer if possible, I think.

We finally finished cleaning out all the non furniture stuff from his last storage bin yesterday, and wouldn’t you know it I found like 12 more mint in box retired SW sets. I catalogued everything last night and I believe the grand total was 104 unopened sets, something like 67 of which were retired SW sets.  :o

The fees I would end up paying on this stuff seemed pretty obscene, so I am rethinking the eBay thing now. I joined a SW Lego collector group on FB last night so hopefully that yields some results. At least there I am only paying for shipping and a 3% PayPal fee. (As opppsed to the 15% or so eBay steals) just wonder how they handle disputes if someone claims they never got something and demands their money back.

All these responses have been very helpful guys, thanks again.

EdSolo:
Some of those FB lego groups are a bit crazy.  I wouldn't really bother with them.  Just list it on marketplace and set it to worldwide so everyone can see it.  I've sold about 80 loose and open sets in the past 18 months.  I have been selling more than just lego, so it may go faster for you.  If all the sets are sealed, you really just need to take pictures of the front and back.  Taking the time to list everything will definitely get you a lot more money than going to a dealer.  You might find some people who will want to buy several sets and ask for a discount.

Personally, I would sell them yourself.  A dealer will give you at best 50% of what you could sell them for, but most likely 30% or less.  Write your first listing in Word.  Then you can just cut and paste.  Essentially you just need set number and title and that it is sealed.  I also list the number of pieces and which mini figures are included (many sets sell just because they contain a unique mini figure).

You are honestly sitting on a mini goldmine.  Like I stated earlier, I have sold about 20% of my lego collection and have made about 70% of the MSRP of everything and I still have a bunch of larger sets and rare items that I haven't had a chance to list yet.  You won't regret it if you just take the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version