Author Topic: Toy Fair 2015  (Read 21888 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2015
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 04:22 PM »
The NDA has likely been a common practice at UK Toy Fair for some time.  Still, with the giveaway bag?  And the timing of the release of the line for THE FORCE AWAKENS?  I'm betting that something has been shown.  But almost certainly the public reveal for the TFA line is going to be at Celebration in Anaheim or SDCC.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 04:13 PM »
Anyone actually excited for the weekend?

I'm 40% hopeful that we'll get to see some new 3.75" figures from the collector/premium line...  but 60% worried that Toy Fair will be all about the 5POA line and the 6" Black Series.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Anyone actually excited for the weekend?

Hasbro Star Wars, no.  Funko, though, has teased their choices for Firefly wave 1 and Rocketeer 6" figures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Eh, yeah, I'm kinda like you guys...  Be cool to see something but I'm fully expecting nothing, which is fine.  I'm kinda busy with other stuff anyway.  I'm fine waiting for toys till basically next Fall...  Star Wars needs the shot in the arm the new movies will give it.

At this point, I'm not terribly concerned either way.  Not worth getting in a tizzy about and it's also not worth getting my hopes up too much.  I know prices are going up, so I know even if I see things I love I'll not get extras of them, and just will be buying the basics and moving along.

There have been some 5 POA I dig, but I don't get overly excited about.

I'd really love to see a "Heroes" ship like the X-Wing come out again.  A Y-Wing in particular.  I'd love it just because it'd piss others off, and I'd buy one to custom up.  :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45 PM »
I have to think that there will be *SOMETHING* shown at Toy Fair, but not much.  At least not much beyond what's been shown by Hasbro at SDCC and NYCC 2014.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Eh, yeah, I'm kinda like you guys...  Be cool to see something but I'm fully expecting nothing, which is fine.  I'm kinda busy with other stuff anyway.  I'm fine waiting for toys till basically next Fall...  Star Wars needs the shot in the arm the new movies will give it.

That's where I'm at as well.  I'm not expecting much, but it would be nice to see a few new figures...

I'm expecting much more late in the Summer... the new movies are probably going to save this hobby.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Yeah you can't go on forever like things were...  People are bitching up a storm about, "There's nothing out there to buy" and all that, and I get it, but really after 2007, things were starting to look like this line was exhausting itself...  Think about it, really.

People want all new figures, unmade characters, but the reality is they're living off the umpteenth resculpt of this or that.

Even the 5 POA are retreading some pretty old tires, and how long can a hobby survive without seriously NEW and wildly popular material?  The Prequals were fuel.  This lull we're in, it was kind of inevitable when you think about it.  Damn near 10 years since a real Star Wars movie event...  That's pretty amazing that this line is still going.

More new movies...  If they don't resurrect the hobby, it's a dead horse.

I'm to the point I don't think Hasbro had much hope.  6" is definitely a way I think they want to go since they view it (justly) as a whole new way to get people into collecting Star Wars stuff.

I think about all the really obscure **** we got, and I'm kinda awed that people are this critical of Hasbro at this point.  ICMG for goodness sake!  Not to mention ALLLLLL the EU stuff we got, including even resculpts of some EU dudes.  Freaky.  I'd have never guessed they'd dip that deep in the well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 10:49 PM »
If this line dies without a new Sim Aloo, and ideally the rest of the boring ass dignitaries...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I think the best stuff for this line will be at SDCC when they unveil Episode VII figures.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 11:24 PM »
If this line dies without a new Sim Aloo, and ideally the rest of the boring ass dignitaries...

I'd want those figures and they could fit well in the 5 poa figures.  But if not, then it's been fun.

I can't see too much being "revealed" at TF.  There's still Celebration and SDCC, not to mention NYCC, which could possibly have a lot to offer being close to the release date... Maybe a couple newer waves?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54 PM »
I could see them showing one or two of the characters from the trailer... maybe BB-8 or something. Just as a snack to hold us over until Celebration and SDCC. I would be pretty content with a text-only powerpoint slide letting us know what scale the new figures will be in, or how articulated they will be.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 08:25 AM »
There is plenty they can excite me about that has nothing to do with Ep 7, so I am hopeful. New Rebels figures are a must, as are glimpses of the 6" figures we know are coming but have never been shown before, like 3PO, Boushh, and the Emperor. No reason at all for them to hold that stuff back. And against all hope I am quietly praying for confirmation of The Ghost in 2015.

Also excited to see all the new NECA and Funko Reaction stuff, since they still make toys you can buy in stores.

On another note...we're already at Wednesday before the show and no new leaks yet? Hasbro must really have their stuff under lock and key for a change.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 09:41 AM »
On another note...we're already at Wednesday before the show and no new leaks yet? Hasbro must really have their stuff under lock and key for a change.

Or perhaps there really is nothing to see here.  That would be sad, but perhaps you are right.  They are not leaking anything at the moment.  Funko has at least teased and leaked a couple things (the Legacy figures I mentioned).  The resolution on the pics is small so you can't get the detail, but I figure it's a few more days until TF so I can wait... unlike some guy on there who went on a rant about a line they didn't leak. SMH

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 10:00 AM »

If they are cranking out a new movie every year, will there be room in the line for figures from 30 year old movies at that point?

With each new movie they add, I have to imagine that will fill the "idea well" so full that stuff like Sim Aloo will be stuck at the bottom of the well for a long, long time...

as are glimpses of the 6" figures we know are coming but have never been shown before, like 3PO, Boushh, and the Emperor.

Boushh and Emperor were shown at the New York Comic Con party:

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58 AM »
If they are cranking out a new movie every year, will there be room in the line for figures from 30 year old movies at that point?

With each new movie they add, I have to imagine that will fill the "idea well" so full that stuff like Sim Aloo will be stuck at the bottom of the well for a long, long time...

You're probably right, but they managed to find time to give us Sergeant Doallyn and Toryn Farr this past year, and Mosep Binneed is on the way.  They could certainly keep the main thing going and throw long-time collectors a bone a couple times a year - especially when it comes to a vintage figure that they haven't made in 20 years of the current line's existence.  The prequels have fallen by the wayside, but I don't think they're going to abandon the OT completely. 

All that said, it might be the best thing if OT offerings became more scattered - there's only so much left to do, or so many ways you can remake the same thing over and over. 

One thing I can say for sure, is that if they go pure 6" for the main line, I'm done.  I've been involved at a particularly scale for way too long to start over in my mid thirties.  I'll do OT 6", but that's it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:59 AM by Rob »