Author Topic: Battle of Coruscant Wave  (Read 64107 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Coruscant Wave
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2006, 02:26 PM »
Maybe he's darth vader on coruscant attacking the temple? He does have the cloak on right? I know it's dumb that it says 'battle on coruscant' and they have him in there as vader.... kind of like graga on the Naboo wave...

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2006, 02:47 PM »
Maybe he's darth vader on coruscant attacking the temple? He does have the cloak on right? I know it's dumb that it says 'battle on coruscant' and they have him in there as vader.... kind of like graga on the Naboo wave...

OK, just did a quick check on ebay and found an Anakin w/ a Darth Vader and one with a Darth Maul so clearly this is more a Coruscant "Temple raid" Anakin than a "I just decapitated Dooku and saved the Chancellor" Anakin.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 02:54 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #242 on: March 15, 2006, 08:57 PM »
What sucks are the prices people are getting for these figs on ebay.  Now more and more people who dont collect will be grabbing these figs to place for auction.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Hasbro's made this hobby a haven for the toy leaches to just latch onto and suck away.  The way things are, there's just not much reason to go to stores unless you've got the time to go super late, or super early, but not "average" times.

For me, you would be doing yourself a favor to go to etailers more and more.  Get cases, screw Wal-Mart, Target, TRU, KB, KM and the rest.  As an army builder, the best I can hope for is pure luck at this point and nothing more.  The hobby's in a serious rut...  Not because, like in 2002, it isn't popular at all, but because in 2006 it seems Hasbro and retail (or one or the other) are determined to make this hobby frustrating for the people who've supported it steadily for 10 years +. 

**** that, and **** them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2006, 09:24 PM »
What sucks are the prices people are getting for these figs on ebay.  Now more and more people who dont collect will be grabbing these figs to place for auction.

Yeah, and the foil cards are going to make it worse. However, I think it's just temporary. People who are just getting into it for the money are going to figure out soon that the small profit made may not be worth the hassle it takes to get the figures. At least I hope.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2006, 09:26 PM »
I agree Jesse.  I'm really amazed at how things are playing out with the Saga Collection.  I can obviously only speak for what I see at my store and what I see in California, but we seem to get 2 cases at a time (on average) every 1 and a half to 2 weeks and those cases are gone within a day or 2.  Figures are becoming harder to find, pegs are empty and ebay prices are going through the roof.  And the Galactic Hunt figures haven't even hit yet.  Scary thought.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2006, 09:40 PM »
And to just update on how cool Cody looks, our Image Database was updated tonight with the first of the Coruscant Wave, Commander Cody.  Click his image to check out the update and the incredible high-res photos.

Bringing you the best photos first, that's a pretty sweet figure in my estimation, but I'm aware of disagreement among the staff. 

Staff Fight!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:42 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2006, 10:10 PM »
I'm disappointed with Cody as well.

SilverZ

« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2006, 10:16 PM »
Cody has issues, that's for sure. The articulation is a bit under par, especially when you surround him with his SA Clone grunts - which is also when you notice that he's a hair shorter. I'm not saying he sucks, because he's honestly a cool figure, but he, like so many times lately it seems, is one or two features shy of the home run he could have been.

I'm still working on some more images for tonight, but I wanted to post this since it is such a striking paint change:

I'm much happier with rereleased figures when they good strides are made towards making the figure more movie-accurate. This was probably the best Grievous to use, and now that he actually is painted correctly, he's a very cool figure, I think.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 10:17 PM by Jared »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2006, 10:27 PM »
Like I've said before I'm satisfied with Cody as a first time release. When was the last time Hasbro's first figure of someone was the perfect version the first time? If there was any ...not many. I'm realistic about it, and satisfied-I know they make him again...and perfect or better.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #249 on: March 15, 2006, 10:34 PM »
Wow, that is quite the difference in Generals!

I'm definitely adding the General to my opener list now, big improvement in the paint job over the SP version.   :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 15, 2006, 11:50 PM »
Cody?
Since when?
Damn, I cant even keep one wave...
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #251 on: March 16, 2006, 12:20 AM »
I'm gonna still pass on grievous but you're right on the paintjob, it's night and day.  I'm bummed he's inaccurate with the hands and all mostly so I'm just not interested I guess, plus I hated him the first time around.

The Cody I like, but Jared's pics make his legs look oddly wide apart (not terribly so, but noticeable).  It's weird. 

Far from perfect, I'll agree with that for sure.  Ankles would have helped...  I usually don't care much, but they would've helped.  And I really don't understand the NEED to sculpt new legs.  I mean, would anyone complain if they'd re-used the SA Clones legs on this figure?  I know the scarring on the armor looks ok and all but in the grand scheme of things I could've done without it if it meant better leg articulation, and if they have the mold (and how many freakin' Clone molds with SA legs do they have at this point?  I mean, re-use the Evolutions Clones, the Commanders, whoever you wanted's legs but Bacara's actually) then the $ is not an issue even for them...  It cost more to sculpt up the new legs on Cody, but these are the times that make you wonder why Hasbro doesn't cut corners in a smart way like that, instead of the usual cheap way that makes a figure worse rather than better.

Dumb.

SilverZ

« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2006, 01:53 AM »
I'm searching for some financial reason to the small corners cut on some figures, and I was going to suggest that perhaps the actual number of parts or time to assemble a figure, because of that number, might be a factor in seemingly odd articulation choices on a figure like Cody. But then I did the breakdown (and feel free to shoot me for bothering):

Cody
1.   Helmet
2.   Head
3.   Upper torso
4.   Upper arm (right)
5.   Upper arm (left)
6.   Elbow socket (right)
7.   Elbow socket (left)
8.   Hand (right)
9.   Hand (left)
10.   Lower arm (right)
11.   Lower arm (left)
12.   Lower torso
13.   Belt
14.   Upper leg (right)
15.   Upper leg (left)
16.   Knee socket (right)
17.   Knee socket (left)
18.   Lower leg (right)
19.   Lower leg (left)

ROTS SA Clone

1.   Head
2.   Upper torso
3.   Shoulder socket (right)
4.   Shoulder socket (left)
5.   Upper arm (right)
6.   Upper arm (left)
7.   Elbow socket (right)
8.   Elbow socket left)
9.   Lower arm (right)
10.   Lower arm (left)
11.   Hand (right)
12.   Hand (left)
13.   Lower Torso
14.   Belt
15.   Upper leg (right)
16.   Upper leg (left)
17.   Knee socket (right)
18.   Knee socket (left)
19.   Lower leg (right)
20.   Lower leg (left)
21.   Ankle socket (right)
22.   Ankle socket (left)
23.   Foot (right)
24.   Foot (left

If there was something like when doing a run of X amount of figures and adding Y amount of components equalled some time vs COGS limitation, I'd understand. But an SA clone is the more complex assembly.

So anyway, I don't get it either.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2006, 02:37 AM »
Well, I just cut the feet off my Cody, dremeled into the ankles, and gave him the feet from an SA clone. Voila...ankle articulation.

The shoulder articulation is going to be the problem...I'm entirely unsure how to go about it. But I will find a way.

Honestly, ever since I started customizing, Hasbro's screw-ups don't bother me so much. Now if only I could say the same about their pathetic distribution...

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2006, 04:09 AM »
In the grand scheme of things Hasbro charges too much to not get pretty damn close to perfection out of every figure they make...  Contrary to popular belief, much smaller companies pay incredibly hefty licensing fees and still manage to put out superior quality items.  Hasbro needs to step it up.

ROTS they were knocking a lot more out of the park...  2006 comes around though, prices go up, quality is down overall, and I just think Hasbro is looking at this line as not having as much steam as collectors may think.

I'm all for cost cutting if Hasbro made smart choices for it, but like I said with the Clone legs thing and Cody, Cody could've had the SA Clones legs and I doubt a single person would've complained.  Hasbro made sub-par legs from scratch requiring new tooling and obviously it's a step below the troops...  Re-use the legs from the #33 Clone Commander on Cody (that sculpt appears dormant, the mold is then available, no?), and give the figure better poseability.  Instant happiness.

The shoulders don't bother me...  At least they are articulated...  That makes me happy.