Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212411 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #660 on: July 12, 2019, 03:08 PM »
And again, I thought that Hasbro would probably gear the next Haslab project to another boys toys license:  Transformers, Marvel, maybe even use it to re-launch GI Joe.

GI JOE's fate seems to depend on if Hasbro can get another movie made. The Snake-Eyes movie seems to be stalling.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #661 on: July 12, 2019, 04:11 PM »
Does anyone know if the Sesame Street / Muppet collecting community thought at Haslabs inception that something like this was a possibility?

Considering 99% of Hasbro's Sesame Street stuff is toddler toys or plush items (sold under the Playskool brand), I'll have to guess they were not expecting this to be an option.

I will admit (based on some insider knowledge I have) that I was expecting one of two things to be next and this was obviously neither of those two projects.  It's a surprising choice for sure, but it's kind of cool that they went in a direction no one was expecting and are taking the Haslab idea to a completely different audience than just "action figure dudes".
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 12, 2019, 04:51 PM »
I know it's only a day, and I know the target number is 2k smaller than the barge, but at 159 backers this one seems off to a slow start to me. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #663 on: July 12, 2019, 05:11 PM »
I didn’t expect this either and had no idea they had a SStreet relationship at all but hey it’s not for me so whatever.  I mean if I were stupid rich tho I’d buy this and put it in the car to use the HOV lane.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 12, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I know it's only a day, and I know the target number is 2k smaller than the barge, but at 159 backers this one seems off to a slow start to me.

Good news / bad news?   

I wonder if as a Star Wars collecting community we want this to succeed, fail, or don't really care. 

I assume the barge was considered a huge success.  I wonder if failure/success of a giant Cookie Monster would have any impact on the potential of future Star Wars items.

I could argue that a failure of this item may push Hasbro back towards Star Wars, but I could also see where a failure could have them throw in the towel that these big things aren't worth the internal hassle.

I wonder if success may in general allow them to staff their HasLab team at a higher level to crank these unique items out at a faster clip.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #665 on: July 12, 2019, 11:49 PM »
Personally I want it to succeed because obviously some want it and stuff so I’d want them to get the thing they want...  I think any speculation otherwise is sorta meh.  But I’ve seen lots of irrational stuff about all this too.  People citing this as proof the license is ending, that Hasbro hates “us” (their use of “is” not mine), that it was done because of Disney sucking somehow, or that they don’t want OT fans to get another toy, or that it’s all because Hasbro can’t run a company right but collectors could and on and on and on.

Some people are being more normal when it’s pointed out they’re being unreasonable at best and completely batshit nutty at worst...  others are full tilt leaning into the rage over this which is kind of funny but definitely childish.

I mean Marvel and GIJ and Transformers groups should be taking a healthy steamer on Star Wars fans feeling they deserved the first and second goes at this experiment.  They have some right to disappointment.  I wouldn’t agree they’re right to hope it fails though, since some folks do want it. 🤔🤷‍♂️
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 12, 2019, 11:59 PM »
I feel the same way. It isn't for me, but I hope it gets made for those who want it. I can't say the thought wouldn't at least cross my mind for a second if it was from the Muppet Show  ;). That said, it was definitely a surprising choice.

I didn't really think it would be a Star Wars item two times in a row either, and was just kind of excited to see what they would try next. Still wondering if this strictly has to be an expensive/large item each time, or if they could do smaller things too? Like, for example, since it seems like GI Joe is kind of not a mass retail thing right now, if they wanted to try a 6" line of Joes, like 6-12 a year or something, could they sell a subscription to something like that? Or any other license. Could we get an exclusive single figure (like the Imperial Dignitary) that would maybe struggle at retail? To be honest, if it wasn't Star Wars, I'd kind of like to see some sort of Joe resurrection (3 3/4", 6", or a vehicle).....or a Black Series style, face printed, Indiana Jones figure.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 13, 2019, 01:39 AM »
I can't see how this succeeding would hurt us as SW collectors. I doubt they'll cancel the next SW item (whenever that is to come) to make Grover in response to 3000 Cookie Monsters selling. And I feel there's way too much "guessing" to assume SW moves up again if Cookie Monster fails.

I would be willing to bet a lot of the people that think this failing or succeeding directly benefits or hurts us SW people are the same entitled people that want everything their way and can't wait to say I told ya so.

I won't lie. I'm disappointed in Cookie Monster. But just for me personally. It does little for me. Something from Joe, Marvel, etc would have been more fun to see even if I didn't buy in as I find that interesting. But that also isn't going to make me begrudge a fellow toy collector something they love. So here's hoping at least 3000 people own a $300 blue monster this time next year.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:41 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 13, 2019, 10:26 AM »
I didn’t expect this either and had no idea they had a SStreet relationship at all but hey it’s not for me so whatever.  I mean if I were stupid rich tho I’d buy this and put it in the car to use the HOV lane.

I read this and just had to laugh.  I saw a story on the news recently about a guy who worked for a funeral home who got pulled over for driving his van alone in the HOV lane.  The reason he gave to the officer was that the occupant in the back of the van WAS a person... a little while ago.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:28 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 13, 2019, 07:28 PM »
I've been super busy at work, so I'm only just now finding out about this! All I can do is laugh, I literally CAN NOT WAIT to jump over to a certain other site and laugh from all of the entitlement comments that I'm sure to find stating how dare Hasbro not have this item be another Star Wars item.

Like many of you, I was not expecting it to be another Star Wars item, never expected it to be a Sesame Street item, but hey, if they can get the backers, kudos to Hasbro. The item itself does look impressive.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 13, 2019, 09:10 PM »
For what it's worth?  I've taken my kid to Sesame Place in PA a couple of times.  And people there go CRAZY for Cookie Monster!  He's by far one of the most popular characters there.  Does that mean people are going to plunk down $300 for a life size Cookie Monster?  Who knows?!?!  But part of me wants to make some popcorn and search the term #Haslab on Twitter just for the entertainment factor.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 13, 2019, 09:18 PM »
Well, that site did not let me down, the best comment I read went (and I'm paraphrasing) - "as a supporter of the first HasLab Project - the Sail Barge, my wanting the next project to be Star Wars and being upset that it's not Star Wars isn't entitlement, it's that I want more Star Wars" - when you read stuff like that you wish you could tap the person on the shoulder and hand them a dictionary already open to the word "entitlement" and ask them to read the definition.

The other comments that had me laughing were the ones that equated the 2nd HasLab project NOT being Star Wars as a sign that Hasbro clearly has NO interest in Star Wars anymore and probably isn't going to be renewing their license. Oh, that's what it means? Wow, well thank you very much Carnac the Magnificent!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:20 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #672 on: July 13, 2019, 10:15 PM »
I kid you not when this broke I was at work and I can’t get online much or even on my phone much and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why people were flipping their wigs about Cookie Monster.  It was kind of unreal.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 14, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Star Wars isn't the only license Hasbro owns, so I can't blame them for broadening the projects reach. The only real bummer is that it could be years until we get another SW Haslab item unless they decide to run different items concurrently.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 14, 2019, 03:55 PM »
I do feel like Marvel and Transformers fans have a right to feel a little disgruntled. There are so many good options for either of those properties. Stuff that would enhance existing toy lines too, as opposed to being a weird one-off thing like this.

I also think Hasbro could have saved themselves some headaches by just coming right out and saying definitively early on that the next project would 100% for sure NOT be Star Wars. Even the most thick headed fan boys would have gotten the message.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy