Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 191015 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #810 on: January 7, 2010, 05:08 PM »
I've thought about reading the Wheel of Time books for a long while...anyone have thoughts good or bad?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #811 on: January 8, 2010, 03:02 AM »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 8, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Now on to "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok.

Few stories offer more warmth, wisdom, or generosity than this tale of two boys, their fathers, their friendship, and the chaotic times in which they live. Though on the surface it explores religious faith--the intellectually committed as well as the passionately observant--the struggles addressed in The Chosen are familiar to families of all faiths and in all nations.

In 1940s Brooklyn, New York, an accident throws Reuven Malther and Danny Saunders together. Despite their differences (Reuven is a Modern Orthodox Jew with an intellectual, Zionist father; Danny is the brilliant son and rightful heir to a Hasidic rebbe), the young men form a deep, if unlikely, friendship. Together they negotiate adolescence, family conflicts, the crisis of faith engendered when Holocaust stories begin to emerge in the U.S., loss, love, and the journey to adulthood. The intellectual and spiritual clashes between fathers, between each son and his own father, and between the two young men, provide a unique backdrop for this exploration of fathers, sons, faith, loyalty, and, ultimately, the power of love.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Finished Slaughterhouse five. Now starting, "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka.

The Metamorphosis, first published in 1915, is the most famous of Kafka's works, along with The Trial and The Castle. The story begins when a traveling salesman, Gregor Samsa, wakes up to find himself transformed into a giant insect. Curiously, his condition does not arouse surprise in his family, who merely despise it as an impending burden. As with all of Kafka's works, The Metamorphosis is open to a wide range of interpretations. Most obvious are themes relating to society's treatment of those who are different, the loneliness of isolation, and the absurdity of the human condition.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 13, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Just wrapping up Book 2 of Dark Force Rising.  I did not think it was as good as Book 1...seemed a little incoherent at times.  Lots of action right at the end, but almost feels like they've started Book 3 in the last chapter or two.  I am excited to see how the Thrawn trilogy wraps up - can't believe I hadn't gotten around to reading these earlier.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 20, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Taking a break from Stephen King before I start Duma Key, so the following is what I've been reading or plan to read.

Finished:

and

Currently Reading:

Up Next:

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 20, 2010, 11:43 AM »
You guys are killing me.  I miss not having time to read for pleasure with all the texts I have for my Masters.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 21, 2010, 05:39 AM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 26, 2010, 11:28 PM »
Reading "The January Dancer" by Michael Flynn.

Acclaimed SF writer Flynn (Eifelheim) delivers an epic tale of adventure, intrigue, suspense and mystery. Forced to land for repairs on an unnamed, remote planet, Captain Amos January and crew discover a cache of artifacts left by a cryptic alien race long before humans went to space. They soon retrieve the Dancer, a shape-changing stone that defies analysis. Possibly the scepter of a legendary prehuman king, certainly unique, the priceless trophy is desired by diverse governments, military powers, plutocrats and cabals throughout human-settled space. Flynn knits a richly detailed story of hunters, bandits and patriots that will keep even the most diligent readers on their toes. The plot evokes old-school space opera with its whirlwind pace, immense scope and twist ending, but cutting-edge extrapolation breathes vivid life into this universe of scoundrels, heroes and romantics. This multi-layered story demands much of the reader, but offers more than equivalent rewards.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 29, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Also reading "1776" by David McCullough

Esteemed historian David McCullough covers the military side of the momentous year of 1776 with characteristic insight and a gripping narrative, adding new scholarship and a fresh perspective to the beginning of the American Revolution. It was a turbulent and confusing time. As British and American politicians struggled to reach a compromise, events on the ground escalated until war was inevitable. McCullough writes vividly about the dismal conditions that troops on both sides had to endure, including an unusually harsh winter, and the role that luck and the whims of the weather played in helping the colonial forces hold off the world's greatest army. He also effectively explores the importance of motivation and troop morale--a tie was as good as a win to the Americans, while anything short of overwhelming victory was disheartening to the British, who expected a swift end to the war. The redcoat retreat from Boston, for example, was particularly humiliating for the British, while the minor American victory at Trenton was magnified despite its limited strategic importance.

Some of the strongest passages in 1776 are the revealing and well-rounded portraits of the Georges on both sides of the Atlantic. King George III, so often portrayed as a bumbling, arrogant fool, is given a more thoughtful treatment by McCullough, who shows that the king considered the colonists to be petulant subjects without legitimate grievances--an attitude that led him to underestimate the will and capabilities of the Americans. At times he seems shocked that war was even necessary. The great Washington lives up to his considerable reputation in these pages, and McCullough relies on private correspondence to balance the man and the myth, revealing how deeply concerned Washington was about the Americans' chances for victory, despite his public optimism. Perhaps more than any other man, he realized how fortunate they were to merely survive the year, and he willingly lays the responsibility for their good fortune in the hands of God rather than his own. Enthralling and superbly written, 1776 is the work of a master historian.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:26 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 4, 2010, 07:05 AM »
^^That is one of my favorite books.  I can't say enough how good that was.  If you like it, you should also read "John Adams".
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 4, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I'm really enjoying 1776. It's amazing how lucky Washington was. He had the crappiest army in the world and still worked miracles. There is so much they don't teach in history class.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 8, 2010, 09:42 PM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 9, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Finished "1776". Now reading "The Book of Names" by Jill Gregory.

According to Jewish tradition, each generation produces 36 righteous souls who hold up the universe. In this page-turner, a Gnostic group that wants the world to end, thus defeating God and paving the way for their own spiritual ascension, has murdered 33 of the 36. Ever since he was involved in a childhood accident, David Shepherd has been compulsively writing down names. When he learns through a kabbalistic rabbi that he is the keeper of the names of righteous souls (and realizes that his stepdaughter is one of them), he finds himself in the middle of a nightmare filled with killings, natural disasters, and the knowledge that the fate of the world in his hands. Coauthors Gregory and Tintori use the now-common Da Vinci Code formula of short chapters and steadily building suspense, but their intriguing premise--also behind Sam Bourne's The Righteous Men (2006)--helps separate this tale from garden-variety religious thrillers. And where others have tried and usually failed, the authors give succinct explanations of the principles of kabbalah and Gnosticism, both complex and often misunderstood. Compulsively readable.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 10, 2010, 09:18 AM »
I just wrapped up the Thrawn Trilogy.  Pretty good, though the ending of Book #3 was a little too quick for me.  That's a lot of story in like 10 pages.  I'm taking a quick break to read a graphic novel I picked up at the airport a few weeks back.  I'm usually a Marvel guy, but have heard a lot of good things about this story, so decided to check it out.  So far, the art is ridiculously good.

Batman: HUSH

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today