Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 371807 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #885 on: February 13, 2006, 02:00 AM »
The Qui-Gon bust looks amazing - that's got to be the best human face they've ever done.  But the holo version looks terrible - you completely lose the detailing in the bust.  If it did turn out to be a chase piece, I'd be pretty disappointed that I didn't get the regular version!

I love that Maul pose, very dark looking.  Chewie looks great with his bowcaster and they really nailed his likeness.  GG is really making some great sculpts.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 13, 2006, 11:50 AM »
The busts all look great.  I've been thinking about picking up the Han one for awhile, since it has dropped in price on ebay and around the net, but I put it off since I decided to order the Sideshow Han figure.  I'm tempted again now seeing that there is a Chewie on the way.  It would be nice to have Han and Chewie displayed together.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 14, 2006, 11:41 AM »
I agree that all the busts look great, but the only one I'll be getting is the chewie.  I'll have to find pictures of the statue to compare it to, but from what I can recall they look quite different.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 14, 2006, 12:06 PM »
You're right, they are different.  I think the similarity I saw was to the Hasbro Unleashed version:

Statue:

Unleashed:

Bust:

'scum link

All different.  My mistake.  Still won't buy it though, not Imperious in nature.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 14, 2006, 02:34 PM »
True, but you've got to admit it would look great next to the Han  ;)
And it's not as if you've stayed completely with your imperial lineup (yoda).  Plus, it's the characters in their "classic" look.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 14, 2006, 02:47 PM »
Damn you. 

Yoda's only half a bust, more like a big bust up, so he doesn't count :-X

And the only Han I have is the stormtrooper version, so the bowcaster being next to that bust would be horribly, awfully inconsistent. 

Nope, don't need to get it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #891 on: February 14, 2006, 02:59 PM »
And the only Han I have is the stormtrooper version, so the bowcaster being next to that bust would be horribly, awfully inconsistent.

So if/when they reveal they are planning a Convention Exclusive variant Chewie with alternate-arms with binders on, then you'll want him but can't afford him - isn't that how it goes with GG stuff?   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 14, 2006, 03:27 PM »
Afford?  What means this word, afford? 

Nah, if they did that, then I'd buy it because it would be an ideal split between Luke and Han. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really nice bust, much nicer than the Unleashed figure anyway. I can easily see why people would want it.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 14, 2006, 05:27 PM »
Well I've got the regular Han too, so they'll work quite well together.  As for the alternate-arm arrangement, I hadn't thought of that but could easily see it happen.  Good call.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 17, 2006, 12:26 PM »
According to GG's blog, a rumour has been running around about red and blue Royal Guard busts, but GG has laid that to rest.  For now, anyway.  ;)

"Star Wars mini busts
There were neither red nor blue Royal Guard mini busts on display at Toy Fair. I have no idea where this rumor started, but since our showroom wasn't open to the press on the day this rumor got out, it was obviously started by someone who was sticking their nose where it didn't belong, trying to obtain advance information, and passing on incorrect information in an effort to "scoop" everyone else. My guess is that they saw the red Royal Guard statue and the blue "holographic" Qui-Gon mini bust from a distance."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 12:26 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 17, 2006, 12:59 PM »
I've have never bought a GG Bust before that Chewie will definitely be my 1st...

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 17, 2006, 02:15 PM »
Question for everyone out there - do you think there is any concern with displaying busts in an area with direct sunlight?  I just moved, and while my old toy area had no natural light, my new toy area has quite a bit of sunlight. 
I've seen sunlight bleach other toys over the years, and am a bit concerned about if the GG busts would have the same risk.

Kind of a strange question, but any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 17, 2006, 02:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I'd say there is a risk of fading.  I think anything that is exposed to sun long enough to show signs of that exposure.  That being said, perhaps you could use some sort of UV-blocking film on your windows to prevent it? 

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 17, 2006, 03:01 PM »
My buddy has a Stormie bust that is not as white as it was when he got it.
It got showered with sunshine each day too, now its sorta an off white.
I can only assume it was from the sun, no smoking or anything else in the house.
Adam

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 17, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Question for everyone out there - do you think there is any concern with displaying busts in an area with direct sunlight?  I just moved, and while my old toy area had no natural light, my new toy area has quite a bit of sunlight. 
I've seen sunlight bleach other toys over the years, and am a bit concerned about if the GG busts would have the same risk.

Kind of a strange question, but any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Get to work on that basement buddy boy :P 

I was thinking about using a room upstairs in the new house for my stuff as well, but decided against mostly for those reasons.  I  wasn't sure it would be the busts, but I didn't want any yellowing for the figures.  Leave 'em boxed up and we can have a race to finish the basements. ;)