Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 162348 times)

Offline Gorkoracing

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2006, 03:21 PM »
I just paid $41 to fill up my car yesterday.  ::)

The sad part is my car is a Mitsubishi Eclipse and do to my need for power I can't run anything less than premium in her  :o

My beautiful turbocharger might have to go if they keep rasing the prices

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2006, 04:07 PM »
$2.59 in San Antonio, TX

And still going up everyday...
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2006, 04:33 PM »
For me, this is a problem, yet, it's kind of a non-issue because there's nothing anyone of us can do about it.  All we're going to do about this is pay the prices, no matter what they are.

The only solution to this problem I can muster is to make enough money so that it doesn't matter, and wish your kids and grandkids good luck.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2006, 04:36 PM »
I'm going to break my own rule and copy a post I made on another forum - because I'd rather discuss it here anyway...

Here's how I feel about it...

Exxon just knocked Wal-Mart out of the top spot on the Fortune 500. They made the largest profits of any company in the history of the country for whatever quarter or time period was being measured. Every week we're given a new reason - once it was because of a thwarted (yes, that's right THWARTED) attack on a Saudi pipeline. One week it was because of a hostage crisis in Nigeria of all places... The price of oil is decided on a futures market - and we've gotten to a point where just about anything and everything is supposedly enough to 'worry' investors and send the price up.

Fact is, that when gas was $3.30 or so a few months back - Congress started asking questions. Within a few weeks of a bunch of Oil Executives being marched down to Capitol Hill, gas had dropped in price about 40% down to just a hair under $2.00.

But since then it has creeped right back up - today I saw a station selling gas for $2.92 - these guys are gouging, and we're stuck until someone in Washington decides to start asking questions again and actually do something about it. End of story.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 04:37 PM by Rob »

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Now, I recognize you... ;D
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2006, 04:53 PM »
It's not really a secret. :)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I'm going to break my own rule and copy a post I made on another forum - because I'd rather discuss it here anyway...

Here's how I feel about it...

Exxon just knocked Wal-Mart out of the top spot on the Fortune 500. They made the largest profits of any company in the history of the country for whatever quarter or time period was being measured. Every week we're given a new reason - once it was because of a thwarted (yes, that's right THWARTED) attack on a Saudi pipeline. One week it was because of a hostage crisis in Nigeria of all places... The price of oil is decided on a futures market - and we've gotten to a point where just about anything and everything is supposedly enough to 'worry' investors and send the price up.

Fact is, that when gas was $3.30 or so a few months back - Congress started asking questions. Within a few weeks of a bunch of Oil Executives being marched down to Capitol Hill, gas had dropped in price about 40% down to just a hair under $2.00.

But since then it has creeped right back up - today I saw a station selling gas for $2.92 - these guys are gouging, and we're stuck until someone in Washington decides to start asking questions again and actually do something about it. End of story.

This is about the only thing Rob and I will ever agree on.  The only thing I disagree with in the above post is the "price gouging" on the part of the gas stations - their margins are the same no matter what the market price is.

It's the oil execs who are price gouging.

Back that does bring me back to another question - how do gas stations know when to raise their prices?   Let's say that they have their "gas tanks" (the ones underground) filled up on Monday and they pay $2 a gallon - making the price $2.05 or whatever to you and me.

The next day, that same $2 a gallon gas, can be marked up to $2.20 based upon the market value of oil that is still sitting in the Middle East.

How does that work?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2006, 05:09 PM »
Alternate fuel source and MASS production of vehicles that use it would kill the economy.

Please elaborate.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2006, 06:26 PM »
I have to use the premium stuff for my car, so I am at 2.90 in the area.  Saw on the news tonight that fuel could reach Katrina prices again this summer.  F*ck the Middle East and the conservative enviromentalists.  I say we tap into our own resources in Alaska. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2006, 06:55 PM »
I have to use the premium stuff for my car, so I am at 2.90 in the area.  Saw on the news tonight that fuel could reach Katrina prices again this summer.  F*ck the Middle East and the conservative enviromentalists.  I say we tap into our own resources in Alaska. 

Tapping Alaska wouldn't do anything other than keep a certain amount of the money we're spending in our billionaire's pockets instead of theirs.

What we need is a viable, alternate source of energy to get off of this crap once and for all. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2006, 07:11 PM »

What we need is a viable, alternate source of energy to get off of this crap once and for all. 

Agreed.

Too bad we're never going to own a car running on anything but gasoline in our lifetime.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Well, we could go get Bio Diesel cars today if we wanted to, even if it's not a solution.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2006, 09:46 PM »
I have the fortunate (or unfortunate) advantage of being able to see 3 gas stations from my sub shop (Kevvo's 2441 US RTE 9W Ravena NY) and I watch as the prices go up, each day  after the lunch rush. They go out, raise the prices, change all the signs, just in time for the Highschool kids to come home, gas up, and go out, and then I've even seen the price go up between school let out time, and the rush hour. It's $2.95 here, for the "cheap" stuff.

I don't get it. I'm to the point of walking to work each day now. I do live only a mile from my shop, so that's great, but I enjoy driving to work, catching my favorite conservative radio program while sitting at the red light, and then crossing traffic to get to the shop and open up for the day. Now I'm walking to work, missing my morning update, and nearly being hit on a daily basis.

It's a shame. 3 dollar gas, here we come.............again.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2006, 10:28 PM »
I walk to work whenever I don't have lunch-time errands to run.  It's a great feeling.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2006, 10:31 PM »
Oh, no doubt of it, but it's been part of my routine since November. It's a damn shame.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...