Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 211229 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Hasbro it´s time your sculptors try a new and bigger rebel transport.

This would be a great challenge for you! Do it Hasbro, make sw collectors smile.

That's not a bad idea! I forgot all about that ship. They could also take some creative liberty with the interior.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2009, 12:46 AM »
The Rebel Transport has been mentioned in the Q&A process.  Specifically referencing the vintage Rebel Transport which was half vehicle/half carrying case.  Hasbro said that it's not on their "parking lot" of things to do.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54 AM »
Too bad. The Rebel transport is awesome.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 23, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Vintage ones are out there, and they're not priced too crazily.  Most of them just need a good cleaning.

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2009, 04:05 PM »
Vintage ones are out there, and they're not priced too crazily.  Most of them just need a good cleaning.

That's how I got mine.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2009, 05:07 PM »
I'm sure it would be cool, but the Rebel Transport isn't too high on my list.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 23, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Plus asking for a new Transport would only be greeted by Hasbro's new favorite phrase that they prefer to focus on more "aggressive" products.
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55 AM »
I was just listening to the audio from Hasbro's Toy Fair presentation (at JediInsider), and they (I think Derryl DePriest) does say that there is only one big vehicle this year.  He mentions how last year he denied the existence of the Falcon, and he said this year "trust me, there's just one".  They then go on to introduce the deluxe/$60 pricepoint vehicles, which is maybe why there is just one.  Who knows what to believe with all Hasbro's secrecy/misdirection the last couple years, but it sounds like the Turbo Tank is the only "big one" this year.  That's fine with me, because I think having two out at once last year made it a little difficult for many people to grab both if they wanted to.  Hopefully we'll see an OT offering in the assortment next year.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2009, 09:14 AM »

That's how I got mine.

Same here. It would be interesting to see what Hasbro could do with an update though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 16, 2009, 04:36 PM »
So there are some rumblings around another(R) place that the big AT-AT might be shelved.  At least until the economy gets better.

And based on the shelfwarming of some of the current large vehicles that are out now, I can understand why this might be happening.  I still see the Falcon and AT-TE at TRU stores with alarming regularity.  And the Turbo Tank hasn't exactly been flying out of stores.  And on top of that I've scarcely ever seen one at a WalMart store.  It seems very clear that the retailers are playing things very close to the vest.  And at this point I can't see them taking another chance on a large vehicle like a Big AT-AT.

Feedback

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 16, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I have seen Falcons at a couple of TRU stores recently but nowhere near as many as I have AT-TEs.  What I'd like to know is how TRU and some discount chains have been blowing out the AT-TE for $50 or less this year if it was really such a great seller last year.  Just seems odd.

I haven't seen a lot of Turbo Tanks moving at my local Target, which is the only store in town carrying them.  They have sold a couple, but not like they sold the AT-TE last year.  I think the lack of the Tank in the cartoon may play a role.  The AT-TE is showing up in nearly every episode this season already...where's the tank?  Still seems like kind of an odd choice to me since the only exposure to the Tank was one scene in ROTS, 4 years ago.

I've seen people posting about how the AT-AT "has" to come out, that it's an iconic ship and will sell, blah, blah, blah.  But honestly, the previous release of the vintage/POTF2 version was about $100 and it's still rather large.  Could Hasbro go much larger and hit the $100 price of the AT-TE/Tank or would they have to go Falcon price at $150?  No matter how iconic the AT-AT is, does it rise to the standards of the Falcon?  Even in a better economy $150 is a significant investment and could the AT-AT pull that kind of money?

The Falcon makes an excellent playset.  The AT-TE and Tank do also, to a slightly lesser extent IMO, but would an AT-AT?  Maybe, but I'm not sure what they'd do with it to take it up a notch.

I really think that if Hasbro wanted to do another larger vehicle and have it sell, they should tackle the Twilight.  Make it large enough to be a fun playset with a cockpit and docking bay, but make it so that a 4-8 y/o kid can still pick it up and play with it like a spaceship.  Probably couldn't get it large enough to fit a Jedi Starfighter in it, but you could get the new Freeco speeder and/or a couple BARC speeders in it...room for two cockpit seats and a console for R2 to plug into.  Maybe a spot for the holo table that came with Yularen to plug into the floor for briefings, sick bay for droids and humans.  Firing missiles, maybe some sounds.  Throw in an Anakin figure and price it $100-$125 for Christmas? 

I've seen Slave I kicked around as an option.  I'm not sold on that.  We've seen the cockpit and the loading ramp.  Sure it would be nice for a larger version that could realistically get 2 people into the cockpit and have a spot for a Carbonite block, but we mostly see Slave I chasing Han in ESB and blasting away at Obi-Wan in AOTC.  That's all it really needs to do, anything else becomes more of a playset and that's not really the ship for it IMO. 

The Republic Gunship is another one mentioned.  While I could argue in favor of a larger ship; hold more of the hundreds of Clones we own, split the doors, better scale with the turrets, etc., this is a large ship that's already running us $70 now.  Bigger may be too big.  I'm actually fine with a few more tweaks to this version (split door, fasten in that floor panel) and then maybe one per year with new nose art.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #371 on: November 16, 2009, 07:42 PM »
Good points eFranks.  I think if they do make a larger AT-AT it would most likely be in the $150 range.  With them releasing an updated AT-AT driver in the newest ESB wave, I think it makes it a higher probability, although with the economy the way it is, I can see them holding off...possibly make a new Veers and it will definitely happen.

I have not seen a BMF Falcon in a long time, an AT-TE in just as long...although I do not frequent the TRU in town.  I would think they'd have them in stock more than Wal-Mart because they are primarily a toy store and Wal-Mart and Target are not.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 16, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I have sort of enjoyed getting one "big" new vehicle each year, and in particular was hoping for a new OT remake.  Like others have said though, to make an AT-AT redo worthwhile, it would probably have to be more in the $150 range...which may be a bit high.  The Falcons and AT-TEs at TRU here do seem to be selling pretty well, and those AT-TEs go like crazy when they are on those $50 sales.  It is actually one of the times I've seen a bit of a shopping frenzy for Star Wars aside from the Midnight Madness stuff.

Like others have said, the Turbo Tank seems to be a bit of a slower seller (at least so far).  I've seen some go, but they definitely aren't selling like crazy.  I was hoping we'd see a "BMF" treatment for the Slave 1 or AT-AT next year, but I could see why retailers would maybe be a bit sketchy on trying out more of these right now.  I can see the point made about some of those other vehicles not being as "playsety" as the Falcon or AT-TE, but seeing what Hasbro has been able to do with OT redos lately (figures, beasts, and vehicles), I'd just like to see some more updates to those OT favorites.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 16, 2009, 10:40 PM »
I am on record as being 100% in support of the Twilight as the next Big Ship offering. Could not agree more.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #374 on: November 16, 2009, 10:57 PM »
The thing an AT-AT has going for it that others don't quite as much, is it's a lot of air, and not as much toy as one imagines.  The Turbo Tank with long thin legs on it...  Is it that bad an idea then?  Not really, but that's basically what a beefed up AT-AT would be IMO.  The other thing it has going for it is it looks like any other Clone tank...  Kids I think will enjoy the AT-ST for instance, regardless where it's from, because it looks clonish.

That said...

AT-AT's aren't iconic.  Iconic's a word thrown around this hobby entirely too much, and the AT-AT is not.  And that's my FAVORITE vehicle of the OT without a doubt.  I love it.  But I don't think it's where Hasbro should focus their attention.  It's just not iconic.  If anything from the OT's iconic it's the Falcon first, maybe X-Wings or TIE Fighters second...  beyond that, none of it's iconic. 

Same with environments...  The Death Star's iconic.  Jabba's Palace isn't, but there'd be an army of people fast to step up and say, "Yes it is!  You just don't understand!", and all that jazz.

I love my AT-ST...  If they give us updates to existing stuff like that, that are that good, I'm ok with never seeing the AT-AT updated ever.  As far as that goes I'd gladly live without the Twilight and other very large items, if it means some of the smaller things are going to get done to the extreme like the AT-ST.  That's just me though.

But to the point, if they are going to do anything large scale, I'd think the Twilight would be where the smart money is...  That's something in the $100+ range again.  There's very little (nothing really) I'd think has any support for it quite like that does.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77