Author Topic: GI Joe 25th Alpine  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
GI Joe 25th Alpine
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I know there are already some posts about this guy, but I can't find 'em so sorry.

Anyhoo, I think I remember a little while back from a GI Joe Q&A that Hasbro was going to get this figure back out there.  After giving myself an aneurysm by looking on eBay for about ten minutes, I'm wondering if anybody knows anything more about it.

Thanks!
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: GI Joe 25th Alpine
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:37 PM »
There was supposed to be another version of Alpine released with the second wave of POC Mechs, but that never happened. It was a completely different version from the one in the Best of 80s set. I'll see if I can find some pics, but from what I remember, the only thing shared between them was the head, and even that was repainted for the POC release.

Edit: here's the pic-

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:47 PM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05 AM »
I brought the set with Alpine for 55 dollars years back on ebay...glad I pulled the trigger

amazon has a set for 149.95...this probably your best bet. a individual one going for that much anyway
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:13 AM by Matt R. »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24 AM »
Damn, I guess I got lucky with my Alpine.  I made a Best Offer to a seller on ebay for a bunch of unique Joes from the vehicles, 5 packs, etc (Alpine, Lift Ticket, Dusty, etc) a while back.  I think I got Alpine for something like $15.

Definitely one of my favorite figures from the 25th anniversary line.

And that canceled Snowpine looks like ****.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:41 AM »
if you look in the completed listings the set went the other day for $85.  keep looking maybe?

But at the same time if you look through all of the completed listings Alpine has gone for that much all by himself.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49 AM »
I saw the set on a shelf at Walmart just before Christmas one year. My wife had just lectured me to stop buying stuff for myself, so I skipped it. 

"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 04:12 AM »
I got the Best of 80s and the other two wave 2 packs for $15 each on clearance at WM after Christmas. I lucked out like crazy, but it would also be my last great score. Oh well.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2012, 03:25 PM »
Right before my son started getting into GI JOE, I actually started dumping my Joe stuff - like an idiot, I sold my 25th Alpine to a friend for a measly 2 bucks.  I had no idea he would be so rare, or that my son would like this stuff as much as he does.  I feel like an ass.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Wasn't that entire set pretty darn rare when it got released?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2012, 04:06 PM »
The DVD Battle Pack?  Yeah, that was a tough one.  I'm pissed at myself because my buddy found an extra and bought it and offered it to me for cost.  But this was before we knew it was going to be so hard to find, I figured I'd get it locally and passed.  He returned it and I never found it.  Had to buy the last MASS Device piece by itself (only $10 though) and never got Alpine.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2012, 05:56 PM »
I think I saw a grand total of ONE of the last Battle Pack for the MASS device, and I bought it.  Too bad they overproduced the hell out of the first two sets.  The last three sets were very rare in my area.

Speaking of the MASS device, I have that completed... it's the one Joe item that I'm hesitant to give my son.  At least until he's a little older. 

The selfish part of me wants to set up a diorama with that, a few of the new style 30th Cobra Troopers, and the Renegades Cobra Commander.  But I just would feel too guilty not passing that down to him within the next couple years.  Sigh.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2012, 10:51 PM »
The MASS Device, and even the Weather Dominator that came in the one set, are really cool pieces and either, or both, would make great centerpieces for dioramas.

As I said, I completed my MD and I'm very happy to have it.  I think I even managed to pick up the figures with the full MD element containers, which was a great upsell by Hasbro.  It's just too bad that final DVD set was so hard to find.  But that's kind of par for the course on the GI Joe line.  After Joe had to go their DTC line and after first coming back for the 25th, retail didn't always give the line the best support. 

Then there huge support for RoC, but we all know how that worked out.  It definitely didn't instill any confidence in retail and that's been obvious with the way that POC/30th/Renegades have been handled.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"