Author Topic: Too Much Stuff?  (Read 13475 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Too Much Stuff?
« Reply #60 on: June 3, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Wow! You guys take credit card debt to a whole new level!  :o

Fairly presumptive of you.  Zero credit card debt, but thanks for asking.   ::)

Zero on my end   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 4, 2008, 09:26 AM »
Wow! You guys take credit card debt to a whole new level!  :o

Fairly presumptive of you.  Zero credit card debt, but thanks for asking.   ::)

Zero on my end   :)

That's the way it should be. But, I have a feeling that most don't live that way.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #62 on: June 5, 2008, 08:14 PM »
I haven't been buying as much, partly because my DH does complain about it, and partly because it's very expensive and I feel that Hasbro has jerked us collectors around so much over the years.

Also, I'm frustrated, because when we bought this house in January, 2004, the large family room was supposed to be my Star Wars room. Four and a half years later, the tile is still stacked up in the corner, the walls are ripped down to the studs, my husband is using it as a workshop to complete a large project for a client, and his cat (the one that wants to kill me, plus he has feline leukemia so he can't be around our other cats) lives out there permanently now. So, I can't even go into my room to look at the toys that are boxed up out there. The dining room, bedroom and bedroom are filled with SW stuff. Our office, living room, bathroom and the cats' room all have SW stuff in there was well, so there's no room for anything else.

So anyway, the combination makes me think twice before buying anything new right now (although I still manage to pick up at least one toy or collectible a week, I think).
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 5, 2008, 10:10 PM »
my husband is using it as a workshop to complete a large project for a client, and his cat (the one that wants to kill me, plus he has feline leukemia so he can't be around our other cats) lives out there permanently now. So, I can't even go into my room to look at the toys that are boxed up out there.

I'd say - get rid of the cat.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 5, 2008, 10:34 PM »
I'd say - get rid of the cat.   :)

I'm not sure if that will work.  ;)   :D

The Cat Came Back

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 6, 2008, 09:30 AM »
That was great! Have you ever seen the Muppets version?

Muppets - the Cat Came Back
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2016, 03:30 PM »
It's funny, I started this topic originally back in 2005, now we're closing in on 11years later and it is still an issue. I've been taking some time this week to actually find space for the Force Awakens stuff I've bought and it has me evaluating things again. I have actually been doing better lately with actually getting rid of stuff, selling off between 100 and 150 figures from various lines on eBay, but there is still a space crunch. Add to that the no end in sight situation of the movies, and it will continue to be an issue. I've narrowed a number of lines down ( done with things like Joe and He-Man), but added things like the 6" Black Series and the occasional LEGO set.

It can be tough because I'm not the type who likes to just have stuff in totes/bins, because I figure if it is sitting there, I just as well sell it. Also, I like the more "clean" look for display, which gets tough when you are displaying 100s of figures, plus vehicles and all that. Anyways, does anyone else have this struggle, or are you cutting back or stopping with a number of lines or areas of interest?

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2016, 06:52 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how well have the figures been selling on ebay?  Did you get MSRP on them?  I have thinking about selling my carded figures since they have been sitting in totes for years and years.  I just figured I could probably never break even on them.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2020, 10:26 PM »
Bumping up another oldie here. We were going through our garage this weekend and trying to condense/clean things out and this subject kind of came to the forefront again. One side of the garage is totes of our daughter’s old toys (she will be 13 next month), and the other is basically filled with totes of my stuff that I don’t have displayed. Now, I’ve gone through over the past 5-10 years and sold of quite a bit, but I’ve also continued buying in that time as well.

At this point I basically have at least a handful of figures (or in some cases, much more) from the following properties:

Star Wars
Marvel
DC
Masters of the Universe
GI Joe
Transformers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
LEGO
Lord of the Rings

Not to mention the one or two off type things there as well. We had a Funko POP phase in our house, still some of those about. I have a couple Playmobil things (Ghostbusters Ecto 1 and DeLorean), and all of my prequel/CW/sequel vehicles and beasts are out there too.

I guess what I’m saying is.....still too much stuff! I really do enjoy it,but still struggle with how much is really enough of it all. Branching into 6” didn’t help things either, and as usual, focusing in on one franchise would help immensely. I think I’m going to be doing another purge here, but this one might have to be a bit deeper. I keep waiting for that “some day” when I’ll have this huge collecting area, but I know that isn’t coming. Anyone else still fighting the “stuff/junk” battle?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2020, 10:58 PM »
We bought a new house a year ago. I chose the "nicer but slightly smaller" room than I had before. I also had to accept the dream giant toy display room is never coming. I sold some stuff when packing. I sold some stuff when unpacking. I keep purging more. And still not gonna have room. Then I have days long struggles to purge a few other things which makes almost no dent in it. That struggle then gives me no motivation to actually work on toy room as half the stuff I do needs to be redone as I realize it's not efficient enough, etc. I feel your pain.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2020, 10:25 AM »
I'm with you. I have a huge storage room in the basement of my house that I've converted to a "Star Wars Room."  I dabbled in a variety of other lines (Marvel, Transformers, etc), but the room is packed.  That wouldn't be so bad, but I have another bedroom in the basement that I use as a staging area for inventory, opening packages, eventually selling and its crammed as well.   Wish I could take a 2 week vacation from all responsibility and just move through it all.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2020, 11:29 AM »
This seems to be a recurring story!

I've got a room in my basement dedicated to the collection.  I've also got my tools and workbench in there.  That's eventually going to be my prep area before stuff goes on the shelves.  And I got the shelves up along with a lot of stuff on them.  Plus I've got some tables set up for the bigger set pieces.  But I still need to buy more brackets and shelves to full realize the space the way that I've envisioned it.

But like so many others, I'm dealing with LOTS and LOTS of boxes.  They're in my collection room as well as my garage.  The majority of it is Star Wars.  Beyond that?  There's some Marvel figures (3.75" and 6"), McFarlane Sports Picks, ToyBiz Lord Of The Rings, some Anime things (mostly Robotech / Macross) and some vintage GI Joe ARAH,  Transformers, Super Powers, Secret Wars, etc.  Over the past 3 years I've put a decent dent in selling things off.  A lot of extras, things I didn't even look at, etc.  I've made a pretty sizable dent in it.  But the process of getting stuff catalogued, photographed and listed for sale takes time.  And then you need to keep all of that organized and handy enough to ship out in a timely fashion when it sells.  That being said, I still have more boxes in the collection room and not enough shelves on the walls to really get to displaying things in earnest.

For me it's about time - things with work and my personal life take precedence.  And there's also the process of purging old household stuff just to have some room to work and get organized.  I had been hoping to use my off days for that purpose this summer.  But with COVID ruining a lot of people's plans, like day camp for the kiddo, I have to rethink my plans.  This project is just going to take longer than expected.

And hopefully at some point THIS YEAR I want to be able to display my Sail Barge at last!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:30 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback