Collectibles > LEGO

The End of the Road?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jedi Idej:
All of you lasted way longer than me. I bought lots of the introductory sets in '99 (??) and haven't picked up any since. Still have them because selling stuff is a pain. And I figure I can hand them off to my nieces and nephews if they ever got a liking for them.

I stopped by briefly at the house of a friend's friend and they had all these cool Star Wars ships strung up in a case in the living room. It wasn't long before I realized the LEGO was a family thing (and Star Wars, no less). Pretty cool for those of you who shared that passion for building blocks with young ones.

Dave:

--- Quote from: EdSolo on February  9, 2021, 07:01 AM ---For Legos, I am sure a bulk sale is easily possible.  However, they are worth a lot and I'm sure a bulk buyer won't even pay MSRP on sets bought in bulk.  Everything I have sold with very few exceptions have been on FB marketplace.  That has been a relatively easy process.  Honestly, if you have the time, especially on sealed sets, I would try selling them individually or in small lots.  You will get the best return that way.

--- End quote ---

Holy crap.  My 13 year old son has been spending some time checking eBay for the value of some of my older sets and some of these are kinda nuts.

So far the winner in value appreciation is a sealed UCS Tantavie IV that would sell for $1200 that I got from the discount aisle at TRU for $100.

It looks like in general most of the 20 year old sets will sell for about triple their original value. 

Its nice to see that I've got some options if and when I'm ready to get rid of these.

Rob:
Yeah, they say that Lego outpaces gold in value. 

I have ten years worth of unopened sets that have been waiting for me to have more display space... I've been toying with the idea of selling the sealed sets and using the proceeds to re-purchase used copies.  I tried that for the first time with the Black Pearl back in January.  I originally bought it for $70 on clearance... sold it for about $800, and after eBay fees, buying a new one, and tax on the new one, I managed to pocket about $250. 

We're moving soon and doing a renovation, so if I could extract a few thousand dollars out of all these sets, I'd probably be smart to do that. 

Here's a photo from like a year ago of the pile, it's grown since this:

Nicklab:
OMG!!!!

The biggest sets I’ve gotten that my kid and I built are the Darth Vader castle and the Resistance Transport from Galaxy’s Edge.  I toyed with the idea of getting a Tantive IV or the Ghost but the prices get crazy.  I think I might get the Razor Crest before that set gets retired. 

Rob:
Yeah.  I've collected every OT SW set since the beginning in the late 90's.  I'm short 3 or 4 sets, but it's basically all there.  Anything not shown in the boxes there, are in ziploc bags in rubbermaid bins.  We're under contract for a condo right now where I have most of a finished basement as a collection / movie room.  i'll know how much I can get on display later this year.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version