Author Topic: Need Help Writing "Best Man" Speech  (Read 2702 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Need Help Writing "Best Man" Speech
« on: July 31, 2003, 07:42 PM »
My brother is getting married this Saturday, and I am the best man for the wedding.  I am having the hardest time trying to write up a speech for the dinner ceremony, and was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions as what to write.  I'm not asking for someone to write the entire speech, but I just need some ideas.

I think I'm going to mention how my new sister-in-law is truly the sister I never had (I only have one brother), and how happy I am to see the two of them be married now.

I'm just freaking out about the whole thing.  Planning the bachelor party was stressful enough, but this is making me more nervous.  He was my best man and wrote the nicest speech, and I just want to make it as nice as his.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Writing "Best Man" Speech
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 08:36 PM »
"I am a man of few words...

Thank you."

"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 08:42 PM »

Thank you."

LMFAO!  That's good, but I don't think that would fly well.  It definitely gave me a laugh though.
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 10:44 PM »
Embarass your bro, politely.  Tell funny anecdotes about stupid things he did as a kid.  Earn points with your sis.  

Then drift into the (presumably) great times you've had, what a great guy he is and how lucky she is.  Make sure you welcome her formally to the family and the stuff you mentioned above.  

Above all else.  Good luck.  One of the harder things you'll probably do in life and one of the more important.  I don't know you well, but if you're funny, go with it.  If not, be a gentleman and yourself.  Don't stretch.    Have fun too, it's a happy day. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 11:02 PM »
I've had to do three of these speeches so far, with one more to go in a few months...  My advice?  Have a few drinks and just let it flow!   ;D  OK, so maybe that's not the best idea, but toss at least one or two back just to stay loose and calm during your moment in the spotlight.

Brent's suggestions are good ones.  Talk about what a wonderful couple they make, and how you've never seen your brother happier before, and how happy you are to have her and her family joining together with yours, and what great people they all are!  Yeah, tell a couple cute/funny stories too, but nothing too raunchy and nothing that will embarrass your bro too much (unlike that one beer commercial where the dude spills the beans on all of the grooms former "scores" with the ladies  :P)...

Good luck, and have fun Chris!  Tell us how it went when you get back!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 11:47 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.  Here's what I plan on saying that night...

For those of you who don’t know me I’m Sean’s big brother.

When we were growing up we always talked about having kids and what it would be like to have kids, but we never really talked about the type of woman we wanted to have those kids with.

When Sean told me that he met this woman, Kristin, I didn't know where it would go but I knew that she was a very cool woman and that Sean deserved to have that type of person in his life.

When he talked about getting engaged I realized the things we talked about when as kids were starting to become reality, and I loved the idea that Kristin would soon become the sister I never had.

With all that said, I am fortunate to stand up here tonight and toast my brother and his wonderful wife, both of whom I love very much.

I wish you two the best of luck in all your future endeavors.

To Mr. and Mrs. Sean M. Rhoads!!!           <Toast>

Just so you know, I put the "Sean M. Rhoads" in there because my brother has ALWAYS signed greeting cards with "Sean M. Rhoads."  Don't know why he does that, but it has become a big joke in our family.  They'll get a big kick out of it.

I thought I would go with a more calm approach with the speech, even though my brother and I are big jokers and goofballs.  It'll be much more appropriate I think.

Thanks again though for the ideas!   ;D
dustrho

Offline E.Z.

• Jedi Initiate
  • Montreal, Quebec
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2003, 12:44 AM »
Speak from the heart Chris and let the chips fall where they may.
Shawn

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2003, 12:46 AM »

Thank you."

hehe
yes

say that, then sit down.. wait a few seconds, stand back up and give the real speech.
i think once they realize it was just a joke, it will roll well.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2003, 01:43 AM »

Thank you."

hehe
yes

say that, then sit down.. wait a few seconds, stand back up and give the real speech.
i think once they realize it was just a joke, it will roll well.

Now that I might actually do.  We'll see how things go after drinking a few.   ;)
dustrho

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2003, 08:02 AM »
The speech you have written is a good one, Chris.  I can't really add much more to what has already been said.  When I got married last year, I was nervous as hell to what my brother was going to say.  He and I are like you and your brother - practical jokers - so the nervousness was a little justified.  He kept it simple, but did manage to sneak in a rib about my Star Wars obession, which got a laugh out of everyone.  I think your line about "To Mr. and Mrs. Sean M. Rhoads" will do the same.

Good luck and most of all, just have fun!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2003, 10:15 AM »
I have done one and I also have to do my brothers this Fall

I really just winged it for my best buddies, made light of the fact that they had dated for 9 years and had started dating while his wife was still in Grade School (it wasn't that bad)...I guess I did all right because people came up later and told me I gave a good speech.  

I'll second the recommendation to have a few beers ahead of time...makes it go a lot easier and calms your nerves a tad :)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2003, 12:27 PM »
Well, the speech was a success.  I had about 10 beers in my by the time the speech took place, and I said it off without a hitch.  I also did the "I am a man of few words... thank you" bit and everyone died laughing.

Damn, was that party a blast!  I didn't get home until 3am, and also had White Castle for a late-night snack on my way home.  And boy do I have a pretty bad hangover right now, but it was more than worth it.
dustrho

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2003, 02:26 PM »
Well, the speech was a success.  I had about 10 beers in my by the time the speech took place, and I said it off without a hitch.  I also did the "I am a man of few words... thank you" bit and everyone died laughing.

Damn, was that party a blast!  I didn't get home until 3am, and also had White Castle for a late-night snack on my way home.  And boy do I have a pretty bad hangover right now, but it was more than worth it.

Great News, Man.
Hehe, i'm glad you used the concept off of BigDumbWookie and I.  ;)
Just Congratulations on a good speech and Party night.

as for that hangover...
it would never have happened if u skipped White Castle. haha

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2003, 04:52 PM »
If I didn't have the White Castle I would have been vomiting all night.  It totally made me feel better.  I just have the worse headache right now... that's all.
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 5, 2003, 12:33 PM »
Glad it went well.  I have to make a few little speeches about my groomsmen and other people at my rehearal and wedding reception in November.  I am starting to try and figure out what I should say.  That will have me nervous.  I don't want to make one sound better or worse than the other.