Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 586421 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #3675 on: February 23, 2008, 11:20 PM »
Want to read one of the most obnoxious and smug articles of all time?

Dave "True Fan and Photojournalist" Myatt Recaps Toy Fair

Some highlights...

On the media front we saw a lot of new faces, and the lack of familiarity did have its own intrinsic problems. You see, when it comes to visiting the bigger companies, the Internet media is often are bundled in with the fan sites and pushed through like a bunch of sweaty cows with cameras. Those of us who have been photographing beside one another for years (I’m referring to you Steve, Adam, Paul, and Mike) have built a good report and have learned to work together and through common courtesy and respectful communication. As such, all of us get good photos. This year we had a slew of would be photojournalists who were only concerned about their own photography and their lack of experience and respect for others slowed the process completely. To all these people, I really can’t stress how much they can improve their ability to work through a display by learning their equipment before an event. Practice makes perfect, and with rooms full of toys in your houses all you need is the will to take the time to learn your craft before jumping into the photo pits.

Don't mess with a master photojournalist :-X ::)

What a tool.

I've been covering con's and Hasbro events for a couple of sites now for about 5 years or so.  I've run across Dave and Curto more than a few times.  Curto is actually a pretty cool guy in person, and I've got nothing bad to say about him.  The same goes for the guys from GH and the JD staffers that I've run across at these events.  Pleasant people all the way around.

But Dave Myatt?  Or should I refer to him as D. Martin Myatt?  Uck.  I've crossed paths with him at a few cons and Hasbro press events and he's come across like a horse's ass.  Rude.  Interrupting conversations.  Stepping in front of you while you're taking photos.  He should really take a good look in the mirror before posting nonsense like that.

And D.Martin Myatt was also wrong about Hasbro having it totally right.  The Star Wars room was comparitively puny  for the ammount of press that was covering the line.  The Star Wars & Indiana Jones room was far too small for all of the press to do their jobs in a reasonable fashion.  And Hasbro knows going into the event the sites/press that are getting credentials to cover the event...plan accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:06 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: February 24, 2008, 09:58 AM »
But Dave Myatt?  Or should I refer to him as D. Martin Myatt?  Uck.  I've crossed paths with him at a few cons and Hasbro press events and he's come across like a horse's ass.  Rude.  Interrupting conversations.  Stepping in front of you while you're taking photos.  He should really take a good look in the mirror before posting nonsense like that.

Heh, doesn't surprise me.  But hey, stop being a negative nellie.

- 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:24 PM by Force Guy »
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3677 on: February 24, 2008, 11:56 AM »
This is the part that I enjoyed the most:

For people like us, not getting the scoop out first is a giant frustration, so we were more than a little deflated at times, but at the end of the day, we still managed to get our work done and we were able to get up all the coverage you have grown to expect from Rebelscum and Cool Toy Review.

Heaven forbid.

The SW news dissemination chain goes: God > Hasbro > Rebelscum > dregs  ::)

I guess posting sensitive news in the guise of an "overheard conversation" makes up for the bruised egos.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:21 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3678 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17 PM »
Dave Myatt is a ****.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: February 24, 2008, 12:18 PM »
What a jerk this guy is. RS is not the end all be all of SW collecting sites. It sounds to me as if he feels threatened by new-comers. GOOD!

Maybe these new folks will give him a run for his money.

I've never been a supporter of RS.

The whole fan Club President thing turned a lot of people off. The way many of their mods and PW treat the general forumites there is downright despicable at times. So really, this attitude from this guy is par for the course. It's these very elitest attitude that I dispise.

I happen to belong to several SW collecting sites (as I'm sure many of you are too). Personally I don't find any one better than another. They all have their strong points and I visit them for those reasons.

With regards to RS, it really comes from the top though. PW has forgotten what it is like to be a fan. He's too far deep into the business end of things that I think he's forgotten that in the end of it all, he's just a fan as are the rest of us. If RS died off the net today, there would still be SW collecting sites and people covering these events. RS and their representatives are no more special than any other site's.

I see why now there was a defection some time ago from there to here.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3680 on: February 24, 2008, 12:21 PM »
Master journalist indeed.  Report/Rapport.  English, shminglish, why worry about getting the words right, after all.

He's Canadian, yeah?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: February 24, 2008, 02:34 PM »
 :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3682 on: February 25, 2008, 02:22 AM »
And when did he become D. Martin anyway?

When he became the most-important person in all of Star Wars online fandom, that's when.

(By the way, the D's actually short for "******bag."  ******bag Martin Myatt.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:34 AM by Matt »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3683 on: February 25, 2008, 02:52 AM »
When he became the most-important person in all of Star Wars online fandom, that's when.

I can't wait till I become J. James McCracken.  I'm one initial away from being really close to Spiderman's boss, and that's cool.  I'm clearly an unimportant "would be journalist" though.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:53 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #3684 on: February 27, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Thought I'd share:

http://www.creaturecantina.com/news_stories/2008/0227/d_martin.html

Props to Beedo for the audio... which just absolutely makes the article.   ;D
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: February 27, 2008, 09:01 PM »
Thought I'd share:

Props to Beedo for the audio... which just absolutely makes the article.   ;D

Outstanding article. I think that pretty much sums it up.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3686 on: February 27, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Excellent.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: February 27, 2008, 09:21 PM »
Thought I'd share:

Props to Beedo for the audio... which just absolutely makes the article.   ;D

Very nice.  Although I think a comment on D_Martin's love of dutch angles in his photography fell by the wayside. ;D
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3688 on: February 27, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Well done Bill, I knew if there was a place with the balls that would be viewed as worse than watto's it would be the CC (BTW...it still sucks!)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: February 27, 2008, 09:38 PM »
That article is perfect! Excellent job, Bill.  ;D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!