Author Topic: Target 2023 TVC Boba Fett Repaints - Kenner, Marvel, Dark Horse  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Target 2023 TVC Boba Fett Repaints - Kenner, Marvel, Dark Horse
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2022, 01:53 PM »
And I am adding a prayer for the Boba Fett and Clone Arc Trooper tooling to break to my evening prayer list.

Please add new leadership in Star Wars toys at Hasbro to your evening prayer list too. 

The totally meaningless repaints have got to stop.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2022, 02:01 PM »
I continue to wonder if this is the result of how ecstatic collectors were about the VC186 Boba Fett? I know that I bought multiples of that figure because it was so good.  And I also have to wonder if the chestplate error on that original release of this sculpt was truly an error, or a test to gauge the market? Because I can still recall many of the back and forth discussions about the error and the correct version of VC186. All told I might have bought 6 or 8 of that figure in total.

The numerous repaints of that figure have me thinking that the Hasbro Star Wars marketing team is taking advantage of the enthusiasm of collectors with these continued repaints. The list is growing:

VC186 (error)
VC186 (correct)
Droids repaint
Kenner repaint
Marvel repaint 1
Marvel repaint 2

So when are they repainting it in the Prototype color scheme?  Or the all black version?  At this point I don't know who is more cynical about this crap - Hasbro for doing it, or us for waiting for the next insulting release?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:02 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2022, 02:09 PM »
I continue to wonder if this is the result of how ecstatic collectors were about the VC186 Boba Fett? I know that I bought multiples of that figure because it was so good.  And I also have to wonder if the chestplate error on that original release of this sculpt was truly an error, or a test to gauge the market? Because I can still recall many of the back and forth discussions about the error and the correct version of VC186. All told I might have bought 6 or 8 of that figure in total.

I think it's more that Hasbro noticed that people were buying 5 POA figures for $18 each from Super 7 and wanted in on that.  I blame Brian Flynn for unleashing this beast on the world, no joke.  I quit collecting when those pieces of junk went from $15 to $18 before the pandemic and before inflation set in, but this is what they were treating people to before.

I have 455 ReAction figures in a giant box, finally selling them is on my January to-do list.

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2022, 02:10 PM »

Please add new leadership in Star Wars toys at Hasbro to your evening prayer list too. 

The totally meaningless repaints have got to stop.

I blame Funko for starting off the redeco madness, Brian Flynn just took it to the next iteration.

I imagine Jing is a bigger fan of Funko Pops than she is of Star Wars. After all, she legit thought a Stormtrooper got fed to the Rancor.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:14 PM by Muftak »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2022, 03:21 PM »
While I like the Animated style Boba Fett, I have never collected the Marvel Comic versions of any Star Wars character.  Easy pass for me.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2022, 03:40 PM »
The problem is not knowing how long they're going to keep doing this for.  If this is the last time, then maybe I bite, but if they're going to do this eight more times then I need to jump.  My guess is that this won't be the last time.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2022, 03:52 PM »
The problem is not knowing how long they're going to keep doing this for.  If this is the last time, then maybe I bite, but if they're going to do this eight more times then I need to jump.  My guess is that this won't be the last time.

I can't imagine it's the last time.  They're still making retro Prototypes...

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2022, 04:45 PM »
Good God make it stop.

Its nuts. They might as well go full 80s ninja turtles with all the variants. Clown Fett, Vampire Fett, Baseball Fett, Surfer Fett
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2022, 04:53 PM »
Good God make it stop.

Its nuts. They might as well go full 80s ninja turtles with all the variants. Clown Fett, Vampire Fett, Baseball Fett, Surfer Fett

Halloween Fett.  Christmas Fett.  Oh wait.  Never mind.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2022, 05:33 PM »
Stop, they'll hear you.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2022, 06:54 PM »
I do like the look of these, but I hate the concept and the very transparent money-making gimmick behind the marketing. I am going to pass on these pre-orders, just like the newest clone repaint. I'll likely only grab these if they end up on clearance in the future.

I think the thing that makes the last few of these especially annoying is that unlike other older exclusive gimmick releases, such as the Carbonized variants, these Fetts & his ilk all exist in the mainline TVC numbering scheme. I couldn't imagine being a full completionist these days, but it was at least somewhat possible to be a completionist with the main TVC numbered cards without needing to buy all of the super gimmicky figures. Clearly, that won't be true going forward.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 07:02 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2022, 08:54 PM »
I think even if these are numbered, I’m out with the Kenner deco as well as the Marvel versions.  It’s like an abusive relationship with these half assed releases.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2022, 10:32 PM »
So what time is this preorder?  I missed the last one…

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2022, 10:51 PM »
So what time is this preorder?  I missed the last one…

Supposed to be 1pm ET on 12/14, but we all know how well Target does at actually hitting that mark. 

I was swamped at work today and missed this announcement, but I think you guys covered it.  These $23 Fett repaints are just taking advantage of the carded collector guys and completeists.

I'll be passing on both of these comic-deco Fetts.  I just can't do this anymore. $23 for repaints is over the top in so many ways.  I'd rather take my $46 and buy another Shoretrooper 4-pack or something. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2022, 12:52 PM »
Meh...I have no interest in these, or really anything that doesn't look like it belongs in a scene with the rest of the figures.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram