Author Topic: 2024 TVC Jabba the Hutt Box Set w/Crumb and 8D8  (Read 948 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2024 TVC Jabba the Hutt Box Set w/Crumb and 8D8
« on: July 18, 2023, 11:23 AM »
https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-hasbro-jabba-the-hutt-new-vintage-set-reveal-1850643144

"$89.99 and will be available fall 2024; you can pre-order starting Wed, July 19 at 10:00 am ET, exclusively at Hasbro Pulse."

Sounds like it was designed to work with the upcoming TBOBF Throne Room playset... kinda surprised that it isn't due until Fall 2024 though.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to time this to come out at the same time as that Throne Playset?

Jabba = repack of the HasLab Sail Barge Jabba (which was a repaint of the 2015 TRU Rancor Pit box set Jabba)
Crumb = all-new, will come on a mini TVC ROTJ card
8D8 = all-new, will come on a standard TVC ROTJ card
Dais = repaint of TBOBF Throne Room dais
most of the accessories are repaints/repacks from past Jabba/Palace sets

« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 08:56 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2024 TVC Jabba the Hutt Box Set w/Crumb and 8D8
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 11:48 AM »
Wow, the set looks great. I agree on the release timing, it would have been nice to get it closer to the Throne Room playset release and in the ROTJ 40th Anniversary collection. I was ok with the 30AC Salacaious Crumm, but I do dig the new one. 8D8 looks FANTASTIC. And there's no way this is his only release. I'd be willing to bet he later gets put on a single card for carded collectors who want to "Complete the 96", hopefully they use the old ROTJ art rather than something from his TBOBF appearance. I guess the delayed release will let me set up the Throne Room set as a TBOBF scene for awhile before it gets permanently converted into Jabba's Palace when this set comes out.

$89.99 sure is a far cry from the old $9.99 blue Saga Ultra Jabba we got back in '04... Value of the set is still decent by today's standards (especially given the $40 Krrsantan we are about to get), but I still wouldn't have minded it being about $20 cheaper. I would have taken the rugs and pillows sculpted to the dias to cut costs, but they gotta double dip from the Throne Room set and release all of those again to justify the higher pricepoint here.  Those rugs do at least look like they are made of some sort of soft-goods. Here's roughly how I'd see the cost breaking down:

• $39.99 - Jabba the Hutt
  • $19.99 - Dias & Hookah
  • $16.99 - 8D8
  • $11.99 - Salacious B. Crumb, Rugs, Pillows & Accessories
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 11:52 AM »

"This is the way."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 12:22 PM »
Gotta wonder if they'll card and number Salacious Crumb to satisfy those who weren't able the get the SDCC one (I'm guessing they won't).  From what I understand, it's a different pose than the SDCC one, but that doesn't matter to me.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 12:23 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 12:29 PM »
Uhm...I probably am not in on this one.

I have the Jabba from the TRU Rancor set. I have the Boba Fett Throne Room on order. I don't know if I can justify $90 for a railing, 8-D8 and Crumb.

I fully expect a fully newly tooled 8-D8 to get carded on a BOBF card, probably hitting next year, too. If they don't mention him being TVC carded in the set, it's a dead giveaway. They gotta do the Hasbro double dip on the mold.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 12:35 PM »
I'm in for this just for the fact that the Jabba in my Throne Room diorama is the melty one.

I expect to see the 8-D8 on a card sometime soon, it would be one of the original 96.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 01:32 PM »
I have been expecting a Jabba the Hutt release for this year.  Hasbro finally delivered on marking an anniversary in The Vintage Collection with ROTJ40.  But naturally Jabba comes the year after, LOL!  And I think it was pretty obvious that Hasbro would eventually offer up a new Jabba that could be placed in the "Boba Fett's Throne Room".  Prior to the Jabba that was packed with the Sail Barge, the most recent version was released 10 years ago, and it was in a multipack that cost over $100.

So far I think it looks good.  I would absolutely like to see more.  8-D8 is a big draw here since the last version of that droid was released in the 1990's.  But the questions surrounding 8-D8 and Salacious Crumb is HOW will they be presented?  The SDCC exclusive Death Star package with the Revenge Of The Jedi figures that included the mini-carded Salacious Crumb has been the focus of many collectors who missed out on that set.  The Mouse Droid and Salacious Crumb each command a small fortune on the secondary market.

As for 8-D8?  Well, it's a Finish the 96 droid.  So would it be carded or loose in this set?  Either way, I fully expect a double or triple dip here.  A single carded release seems likely at some point, although some at Hasbro might have data about the POTF2 figure pegwarming in the late 90's into the early 2000's.  But I'm very prepared for the inevitable TBOBF version, or some kind of "World Building" release that incorporates the torture rig from ROTJ or the holographic map from TBOBF.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 02:06 PM »
Looks cool.  I have four Jabba's.  I'll probably pre-order one anyway, since it has new figures and is different than older versions. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 06:12 PM »
I just realized that this is Hasbro and that 8-D8 is going to be carded within the box.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2024, 04:28 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 06:35 PM »
I just realized that this is Hasbro nd that 8-D8 is going to be carded within the box.

We could still end up with a ROTJ carded version in the set, and then a single release on a TBOBF card (or the aforementioned deluxe 8-D8 version with).
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 06:40 PM »
He'll definitely be available later... that's Hasbro's whole thing. 

My cynical prediction is that after this set has come and gone, he'll be available in a deluxe box with the torture rack, Target exclusive... $27.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 07:17 PM »
He'll definitely be available later... that's Hasbro's whole thing. 

My cynical prediction is that after this set has come and gone, he'll be available in a deluxe box with the torture rack, Target exclusive... $27.

Not only are you right about the Deluxe figure Rob, but it wouldn't shock me that when Hasbro talks about this at SDCC, they will probably say this will be the only way to get the carded 8-D8, then a year later drop the carded version in the main line.  (Remember the Soft goods Mando was only going to be available in the Razor Crest?)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 10:22 PM »

I think you're partially right, Rob.  The price will probably be $31 be that point.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 10:52 PM »
8-D8 and Salacious Crumb are confirmed to be carded on ROTJ cards in the set.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 10:04 AM »
Make sure you order the $90 TVC set and not the $90 Black Series set. ;)

Link -> https://hasbropulse.com/products/star-wars-the-vintage-collection-jabba-the-hutt-set
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 10:04 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender