Author Topic: 2023 Last Figure Standing Poll  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Last Figure Standing Poll
« Reply #15 on: December 4, 2023, 10:08 AM »
 I hate these polls.  The idea that top ten most wanted figures include Luke, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Hammerhead is straight up silly. 

Get one on eBay. There are a dozen versions of the first one, and like 3 or 4 Hammerheads.

« Last Edit: December 4, 2023, 11:13 AM by Rob »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 4, 2023, 10:19 AM »
I see it as a different take.  And after that first round of voting?  Obi-Wan - GONE.  Luke - GONE.  Anakin - GONE.  I was disappointed the Luthen didn't make the cut.  But in general the responses have been surprising.  And it seems like the whole notion of "Make a perfect version of X character before I die" might be isolated to OT purist old farts.

As for the remaining 6?  Hammerhead has been made a number of times, but the figure can't actually sit down to carouse with the other patrons of the Cantina.  And with Ventress?  There have been a few versions, but the last realistic one dates back to a comic 2-pack from around 2009.  And that figure isn't very poseable,

The other 4 candidates would be action figure debuts for those characters in the 3.75" figure line.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2023, 10:20 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 4, 2023, 10:42 AM »
I'm with you two and glad Obi-Wan, Luke, and Anakin didn't get pushed through to the next round.  Although I wish Hammerhead and Ventress would have also been dropped, and Luthen or some other all new character got the spot.

I do not need the "authoritative" version of every figure, and I'm not even sure most people could agree on what needs to be changed/included to be the "best ever".  Most characters have versions that I find "good enough" even though many can't sit, or fit in vehicles, etc.  I'm good if Hammerhead is forever stuck standing in my cantina scene and can't chill in a chair.

I just want all new stuff.  5POA, 14 POA.  I don't really care about extra articulation, just get me new figures with good sculpts and paint apps.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: December 4, 2023, 11:45 AM »
I think Hammerhead is the impact of the "finish the 96" carded collectors who want a modern TVC equivalent of everything Kenner.  They don't care that there are multiple serviceable versions of Hammerhead out there, they want an all new TVC version so they can check off that box as 'done'.  That's the drive for new versions of Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan as well (since the TVC carded people don't consider VOTC as TVC for some reason).

I'm with you guys in that all-new, never before made stuff brings me the most joy.  I do however admit that without the all the carded collectors buying things at 2-3 times the rate I buy as an opener, the line would likely die or be at $20 for a basic figure.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 4, 2023, 12:28 PM »
Hasbro already promised to finish the '96, so voting for him here is silly.  No?

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 4, 2023, 01:33 PM »
Well, a Star Wars team "promised" to finish the 96, but the team has changed since then so does the promise hold? I don't think Jing was in charge of the line back then...

I participated in the poll, and maybe I am not indicative of the standard participant, but 9 of the 10 I picked to start didn't make it to the first round, and the 1 I did pick has dropped out by round 2. They were all 10 never before made characters. So why do I care about these remains? When I vote for some of these remainders, there's very low priority to me and the results of the poll are artificially skewed.

I feel like I retired from collecting 15 years ago, and the things I pick up these days are mostly gravy outside of the very few OT figures I felt were missed in the first 30 years of collecting (I think the last one that checked a box for me was the Lars Gonk.)

This poll has evolved into something I have no investment in, and that's okay. If it comes down to Baylon vs Shin, I couldn't care less.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2023, 01:35 PM by Muftak »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 4, 2023, 01:54 PM »
I agree to an extent about the whole "Checking A Box" mentality.  Because in some respects it seems to be more about the packaging than anything else.  I think that 2006 Momaw Nadon is a great figure.  But as we get further along, 2006 seems further and further away.  Some figures hold up well over time.  Others?  Not so much. 

I know you invoked VOTC, Jeff.  And I do find the reasoning of some in the TVC focused part of the community to be a bit too rigid about their criteria.  Hasbro always referred to VOTC and VTSC simply as "VINTAGE", and were always being asked about "When are you bringing Vintage back?"  Out of that first wave of VOTC figures from 2004, I still think that Han Solo is one of my favorites of all time.  And the Legacy Collection Ben Kenobi is a classic from 2008.  But VOTC is almost 20 years old now!  And I get the sneaking suspicion that Hasbro will be commemorating the 20th anniversary of "Vintage" in 2024.  They've already announced at least 4 figures of characters that were part of the three VOTC waves.

I think a good thing that the poll has done is up-end some preconceived notions within the community.  Especially the OT centric people who can't abide anything else.  I love the OT.  Ever since I saw the first film in 1977 I was hooked!  But I also recognize that over 45+ years both Kenner and Hasbro have covered a lot of Original Trilogy ground in exhaustive fashion.  Something beyond that seems worthy of attention.

As for the Finish the 96 movement?  It still seems to have traction in collecting circles.  But it doesn't seem like Hasbro is actively trying to move that forward quickly at all.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2023, 02:26 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2023, 05:26 PM »
For this round I only voted for the Tonnika Sisters. I've already customized Hammerhead with articulation to sit, so if they make a new one, cool, but I'm not going to waste a vote on it. The crazy thing is this was the first poll in probably 25 years where the Tonnika Sisters weren't on my initial list.

I feel like Baylan and Shin need to be a 2-pack. I don't really think I'd want one without the other, but I do want both. BUT, they are pretty beloved by the fanbase, so that felt like a throwaway vote since they're likely already in development.

I do want a really good farmboy Luke before the line ends, along with Ben (who could probably just be a new head on the existing Ben) and Han (who needs a true update). I'd also like a Chewbacca with the new hip articulation, so he can get in some action poses that don't make him look like he's struggling to contain explosive diarrhea.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2023, 05:27 PM by Mister Skeezler »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 5, 2023, 11:03 AM »
I think Baylan will ultimately win this.  In my opinion, his character was the most interesting in Ahsoka and coupled with Ray's passing, there will be those that want the figure in his memory.  And I'm fine with it.  Plus, he'll be a new character.  As Skeezler said, I'm sure he along with Shin are already in the works.

I know people think that the Tonnika Sisters are a waste of a vote and that they will never happen, but I ended up voting for them.  I guess I feel that if I (and others) quit voicing this, then we'll certainly never get them.  I'm not giving up hope. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: December 5, 2023, 11:29 AM »
I feel like Baylan and Shin need to be a 2-pack. I don't really think I'd want one without the other, but I do want both. BUT, they are pretty beloved by the fanbase, so that felt like a throwaway vote since they're likely already in development.

As Skeezler said, I'm sure he along with Shin are already in the works.

This is what bugs me most about having Hasbro split things across 6" and 3.75" lines.  So much of the original top ten list (Shin, Baylan, Luthen, Asajj, Cobb) has already been done in Black Series 6" in the past couple years.

The "fan choice" ends up being an attempt to get something that BS6" already got and should be a no brainer for TVC.  Like seriously Hasbro, you've done TWO versions of Cobb Vanth in BS6", but can't get around to doing something in TVC yet?  How many years or polls is it going to take?

Hey TVC fans, I know you want Luthen and Marrok like BS6" got, but how would you like a photoreal repack of Finn and another version of Axe Woves instead? 

(I know repacks/repaints are important for TVC price point, I'm just in the mood for an old man collector rant, I guess   :P).
« Last Edit: December 5, 2023, 11:36 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 5, 2023, 02:09 PM »
I'm with you Jeff.  I voted for Cobb, Tonnika Sisters (never gonna happen), and Shin (seems more interesting as a figure than Baylan and I've already got a ton of Jedi figures and kinda bored by them).

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 5, 2023, 04:21 PM »
I went ahead and voted Tonnika Sisters as a protest vote, then Baylan and Shin.  Just because one without the other would be a bummer... I expect they'll make Cobb eventually too.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 8, 2023, 05:49 PM »
There's a livestream tomorrow to reveal the results of this round of voting.  I think there's going to be two characters eliminated, leaving 4 for the next round of voting.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2023, 10:23 AM »
Here are the results from the previous round of voting.

-Tonnika Sisters
-Hammerhead (Momaw Nadon)
-Baylan Skoll
-Cobb Vanth (TM season 2)

ELIMINATED - Asajj Ventress & Shin Hati

LINK TO THE GOOGLE BALLOT

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2023, 04:11 PM »
I voted just for the Tonnika Sisters again.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram