Author Topic: The MCU post Endgame.  (Read 12375 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The MCU post Endgame.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 01:18 PM »
I wasn't sure what to make of WandaVision when they began showing the clips from the show.  It came together in a great way and it truly fleshed out Wanda's character.

I watched the first episode of The Falcon & The Winter Soldier this morning.  It's been pretty interesting so far.  I was not expecting a couple of characters to turn up in the first episode, but they were a pleasant surprise.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 01:27 PM »
I'm 5 episodes in for WandaVision right now, enjoying it for sure.  Super quirky concept, funny and serious at the same time... nicely done.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 05:39 PM »
I spent the last few days watching Wandavision... I'm not the closest follower of the Marvel movies and all the tiny tidbits and easter eggs like I am with Star Wars, but it's still a fun ride. I enjoyed the comedic take on TV through the decades, especially the commercials. Ending fell a bit flat for me for reasons I haven't been able to comprehend, but I'm excited to see where things go from here.

Obviously this was a setup for Doctor Strange II, which we know is going to deal with the Multiverse, and I'm thinking that based on some of the lines and casting choices, Disney is planning on introducing the Fantastic Four and the X-Men into the MCU.

I'll likely check out Falcon and Winter Soldier when all episodes have aired, so I can binge it.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 07:28 AM »
I'm enjoying the places where The Falcon and The Winter Soldier is going.  And it's probably because so much in the series is drawing from past Marvel storylines.  Wyatt Russell is doing a good job with portraying John Walker, and the storyline really does line up well with the story of the character who eventually became known as the U.S. Agent.

I've also been pleased to see the character development for both Sam and Bucky.  They're both much more fully fleshed out.  The way Bucky is trying to make amends and move forward is clearly not easy given his guilt over what he did as the Winter Soldier.  And it was even more interesting to see how his time in Wakanda has shaped who he is after Civil War. 

Sam has a complicated path to walk.  Bucky has not relented in asking him why he gave up the shield.  And when you look at who took it up you have to agree to an extent.  While Steve had confidence in the potential for Sam to take up the mantle of Captain America, Sam definitely didn't feel up to that challenge.  The things that Dr. Erskine saw in Steve Rogers as a young man only grew greater during Steve's time as Captain America.  Who could possibly live up to that?  Steve was even worthy of wielding Mjolnir when he fought Thanos!  But for Sam?  His personal life is not easy, and the scene with him and his sister at the bank made me angry for him.  And when Bucky brought Sam to meet Elijah you could see the harsh realities of race in America even if you were a super soldier or an Avenger.

Daniel Bruehl returning as Zemo is actually one of the most interesting characters of the series.  And between him and the Flag Smashers you can really see that things in the world of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are not clear cut at all.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 02:25 PM »
I agree Nick, Falcon and the Winter Soldier is outstanding!  The latest episode is incredible.

One thing I really like about it is the look we're getting into the world post blip as well as what it was like during those 5 years where half of existence was gone.  They touch on it in Endgame showing some people were having trouble moving on, but in those five years a lot of people did come together to keep society going.  It's an interesting point that when everyone came back that some people did not want all of the hard work they've done over the previous five years to not matter and might not be happy with everyone returning.

That aspect was barely touched on in Endgame (mainly because there was no real time to consider the after effects) and was only slightly mentioned in Spider-Man: Far From Home.  It's really cool to see them give that aspect of the universe a good look.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Yeah, the post-blip situation is interesting.  I mean, I could see a spouse moving on considering the other's died, remarry, and then find out they're back.  That would mess with the mind.  And then all the weird legal stuff involving wills, insurance... the list is endless.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 03:52 PM »
So Falcon and the Winter Soldier is complete.  My only complaint is that we have o wait until 11 June to see Loki!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 09:56 AM »
I think it might some time before there are Marvel series ready to run from one into the next on Disney+.  I don't think they want to dilute the quality of the shows from the MCU.  Although I am wondering if Disney might secure the rights to all of the Defenders shows from Netflix - Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Punisher, Defenders, etc.  Those shows would fit in well in the Marvel channel on the platform.

I like how Sam's story has come full circle.  He wound up inspiring Steve with his old job counseling veterans, and we saw that Steve took on that job after the snap, counseling survivors.  And it was pretty clear that they developed a really good friendship from the Winter Soldier storyline all the way through Infinity War.  It makes Steve's choice at the end of Endgame that much more understandable.  It just took until the end of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier for Sam to realize why, and the significance of what he was doing.  I think his choices in the final episode of the series would have made Steve proud.

Bucky had a really complicated road to walk.  But it was good to see him shake loose a lot of his past and really come back to life at long last.  Maybe it took him confronting the Flag Smashers and Walker to really come to grips with himself.  And his act of reaching out to the Wakandans to help Sam was huge.  I'm interested to see where his character goes from here.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:00 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 02:51 PM »
I know it models the comics, but count me among those that don't love Sam as the new Cap.  I like the way they did it, but I would have liked to see Bucky with the shield instead.  Plus his costume is a little cornball.  That said, I think this is exactly the right time to do a story where a black American finds a way to represent a government that has not been historically kind to people of color.  It felt a little forced at times, but hopefully it sends a positive message to those that need to hear it. 

I liked the series overall, but didn't love it.  The chemistry with Sam and Bucky is great and Zemo was awesome.  I could have used more setup with Sharon Carter - how did she get to where she's at now as the Power Broker?  That's a big change from the PB's storyline in the comics.  I also didn't really understand what the Flag Smashers were fighting for.  They want things to go back to how they were before all the Blip people came back, but what did they want to do with all the blip people?  I wish they had come up with a better motivation for these guys - or maybe I'm the only one that really didn't get what they were fighting for.

Curious to see what happens to Walker next.  He kind of redeemed himself at the end (happy ending!), but I thought he was better as a mentally unstable rogue agent.  I would have liked to see him lose everything versus just a court martial, then have some shady government agency scoop him up as a black-ops punisher-style super agent.  As it stands, he looks like just another super strong hero to jump around in the background.  JLD as Val was a nice surprise, as was seeing the raft.  I think we're heading towards a Raft break-out eventually, which would be a fun storyline to watch. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 08:42 AM »
I know it models the comics, but count me among those that don't love Sam as the new Cap.  I like the way they did it, but I would have liked to see Bucky with the shield instead.  Plus his costume is a little cornball.  That said, I think this is exactly the right time to do a story where a black American finds a way to represent a government that has not been historically kind to people of color.  It felt a little forced at times, but hopefully it sends a positive message to those that need to hear it. 

I liked the series overall, but didn't love it.  The chemistry with Sam and Bucky is great and Zemo was awesome.  I could have used more setup with Sharon Carter - how did she get to where she's at now as the Power Broker?  That's a big change from the PB's storyline in the comics.  I also didn't really understand what the Flag Smashers were fighting for.  They want things to go back to how they were before all the Blip people came back, but what did they want to do with all the blip people?  I wish they had come up with a better motivation for these guys - or maybe I'm the only one that really didn't get what they were fighting for.

Curious to see what happens to Walker next.  He kind of redeemed himself at the end (happy ending!), but I thought he was better as a mentally unstable rogue agent.  I would have liked to see him lose everything versus just a court martial, then have some shady government agency scoop him up as a black-ops punisher-style super agent.  As it stands, he looks like just another super strong hero to jump around in the background.  JLD as Val was a nice surprise, as was seeing the raft.  I think we're heading towards a Raft break-out eventually, which would be a fun storyline to watch. 

Agreed with just about all of that, especially in regards to Sam's outfit.  That was just weird.  And yeah, the societal commentary seemed a bit forced at times and I wish it would have been more subtle and nuanced.  I think it would have a bigger effect.  And yes, some folks need to hear that.  I was a bit confused about why Bucky's arm seemed to be "under powered" and incapable of doing some things, especially in that last battle.  I know he was fighting some other folks with the super serum, but he seemed to be underwhelming compared to the way we've seen him in previous movies.

I'm not up on the comics, so I have no idea how everything ties together.  I hope to see a ton more of Bucky and Sam in the next set of movies.  I've always been a fan of those two. 

All in all, I'll rank this series ahead of Wandavision as far as holding my interest.  I'm looking forward to the next series of events.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 12:17 PM »
I'm not up on the comics, so I have no idea how everything ties together. 

They only loosely follow the comic stuff anyway - taking what they like for the MCU and rearranging the rest.  Sharon as the Power Broker is a great example of that - its a totally different guy in the comics and I don't think turns bad.  Seems a bit out character for her being such a loyal SHIELD agent.  I haven't followed modern stuff for several years now, but Sam-Cap sticks around for a long time in the comics (I think he's still the current Cap), so don't expect to see that weird outfit going away.  They do bring back Old Man Steve Rodgers for a while (still has his super serum strength and fights in an armored suit).  They eventually find a way to make him young again (clone body I think?).  I doubt MCU would incorporate any of that, but will be interesting to see what they do with Captain America 4.  A film mostly featuring Sam, but with a Chris Evans return would be kind of cool.

Still another six weeks to Loki - that feels like forever!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 4, 2021, 11:54 AM »
I loved it, although I wish the episodes had been shorter like WandaVision. The quality is so much better then those previous Marvel shows.

I still find it weird that they never alluded to where Old Man Steve was or what he was doing, aside from the jokes about being on the moon.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: May 4, 2021, 12:45 PM »
I still find it weird that they never alluded to where Old Man Steve was or what he was doing, aside from the jokes about being on the moon.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if old man Steve really died or if that was just the cover story they told the regular folks?  I guess they wanted it opened ended in case Chris Evans wants back into the MCU at a future date?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 06:28 AM »
So far the Loki series is kind of different.  But I'm liking what I've seen.  The whole DB Cooper thing was a cool tangent.  And seeing someone break down who Loki really is was a bit of a departure.

I suspect that we're on the verge of seeing a multiverse emerge, which seems to be where the next Dr. Strange movie is going.  The variants are an interesting development.  The one that was revealed at the end of the second episode was reminiscent of another Asgardian who popped up on Agents of SHIELD a while back.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Spider-Man: No Way Home trailer.

I have the weirdest boner right now.
This is the way.

I have spoken.