Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212650 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #315 on: February 9, 2009, 12:15 PM »
I was just reading through the GH Q and A this week, and one of the questions discusses the "big" vehicle possibilities of the future.  It obviously look like the Juggernaut is on the way (and we'll probably learn more this weekend at Toy Fair), but do you think it is possible there's another "surprise" on the way like the Falcon was supposed to be last year?

Personally, as much as I'm all for re-done OT vehicles - and hope we see them over the next few years - I sort of hope there isn't a surprise big vehicle on the way.  If we're going to see two again, I would just as soon know now.  I have to really budget for these bigger items in particular, and still haven't been able to pick up an AT-TE for that reason (although I'd still like to at some point).  I'm interested in the Juggernaut as well, and plan on starting to save now to hopefully afford one - but if we get news of a re-done AT-AT, Slave 1, or whatever else from the OT - I'd likely want to pick that up as well.  Plus, I sort of lean more towards OT overall, so if I had to choose, I'd likely go for the OT offering.  I'd almost rather we only see one of these a year, or at least spread them out spring/fall (although spring might not have the sales power to support that).  I can understand the need for "surprises" and keeping customers wanting more, but for these big ticket items, I'd almost like more of a heads up personally.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 9, 2009, 12:20 PM »
I was just reading through the GH Q and A this week....but do you think it is possible there's another "surprise" on the way like the Falcon was supposed to be last year?

I just got done reading it as well and it will be interesting to see what pans out.  As Adam stated - the AT-TE seems to have sold quite well, but the BMF?  Who knows - same thing in my neigbhorhood.  I do hope we get a nice XL OT suprise later on in the year.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #317 on: February 9, 2009, 02:14 PM »
I'd like something from the OT that could actually be done to-scale, so I'm pulling for basically smaller stuff.  The only larger ship I think I'd want an improvement on is Slave-I...  Beyond that, all the fighters, the AT-ST, Snowspeeder, speederbikes, are all fairly small and doable for well less than $100...  I'm not into the Sand Crawler, the AT-AT, etc., as they'll just never get done right.  The Falcon was at least iconic so undersized, it's still great.  These things aren't feasible to-scale items though.

The only thing I think they could do if they wanted is Jabba's sail Barge...  And the only reason I bring up the Barge is that the Nikto's deck cannon is made to attach to a railing, so that means there's a chance it'll be attaching to something...  Someday.  I think the level of action around the Sail Barge makes it at least possible as something they'd try, but I really don't hold any hope out for that.  I'd take it above an AT-AT or Sandcrawler though, for certain.

If they busted out a scale AT-ST, I'd be giddy...  Regardless (well, within reason anyway) of price I'd need a minimum of two I think.

The way the Falcon did though, I'm not hopeful for any OT surprise mega toy.  My WM still has 6 or 8 for $99.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 9, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I'm with you Jesse, I'd really like to see some of the smaller ships get re-dos as well (the Snowspeeder in particular).  Like you said, the AT-ST/Snowspeeder/Speeder Bikes are all possible - and could probably all fit into the $20-$25 "starfighter" assortment if worked right.  The Slave 1 seems like a good possibility, and like I've said before, 2010 would be a good time with the 30th Anniv. of ESB.  Honestly, I'd probably be up for any new/redone OT ships, but I can see the issue with something like the AT-AT or Sandcrawler never being to scale.

As for the Falcon, I'm still curious to see what Hasbro will say about its sales.  There were a couple at our local WM for $99 a few weeks ago, but those are now gone.  I haven't found a single Falcon or AT-TE in our local stores (3 WMs, 3 Targets, 1 TRU) for awhile now, so hopefully that means sales have been good.  The AT-TE, as others have said, may have sold a little better/quicker though overall.  I still wonder if $100 is the real breaking point for a lot of people, casual buyers/parents in particular.  Like some have said before, if the Falcon - arguably one of if not the most well-known ship from Star Wars - has slower sales, what hope do a lot of other ships have.  Plus, we've discussed the timing/economic/competition issues as well.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 9, 2009, 05:58 PM »
And the only reason I bring up the Barge is that the Nikto's deck cannon is made to attach to a railing, so that means there's a chance it'll be attaching to something...  Someday. 

Didn't you hear?  Nikto's deck cannon fits the updated mini-rig line.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2009, 04:06 AM »
I think that gun will fit nicely on the Skiff from the Sarlacc BP.  I highly doubt you'll see a sailbarge in the near future.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2009, 12:08 PM »
And the only reason I bring up the Barge is that the Nikto's deck cannon is made to attach to a railing, so that means there's a chance it'll be attaching to something...  Someday. 

Didn't you hear?  Nikto's deck cannon fits the updated mini-rig line.

And it'll cost $90.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2009, 03:17 PM »
I wouldn't rule out a Sail Barge or new AT-AT... after all, if 2-3 years ago we were betting money that a bigger Falcon would come out in 2008, I don't think too many people would have have been "takers."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2009, 06:48 PM »
A Sail Barge is not really comparable to the Millenium Falcon.  You're talking about one vehicle that is more of a set than anything else and plays into about 15 minutes of action in ROTJ and gets minor involvement in the Clone Wars movie.  It's not really comparable to the Millenium Falcon which plays a central role in all three OT movies.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 10, 2009, 07:49 PM »
True, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't sell.  Especially if it was only $100.  Not that it's not a risky item, but I wouldn't put the nails in the coffin just yet.

Who knows, the Sail Barge could also hold a prominent role later on in the Clone Wars series or live TV series.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2009, 08:38 PM »
I'm not banking on a Sailbarge either...  I'd say maybe parts of the deck or something, are more likely, as just pack-ins.  I am not counting on much more, but still it's interesting to see that the deck cannon IS made to mount to a railing.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 10, 2009, 09:55 PM »
The Millenium Falcon is FAR more marketable than the Sail Barge.  The Millenium Falcon is much closer to being a household name than the Sail Barge.  That means that it has huge name recognition as well as a visual appeal.  People know precisely what the Falcon is when they see it.

And that's where it ties in with the mass market.  There are a lot more kids whose parents buy them toys than there are collectors.  That is where Hasbro makes their money.  Kids are the primary market.  Can you sell the Sail Barge to kids?  That is a point of great debate.  Can you see the AT-TE or Turbo Tank to kids?  That seems far more likely.

The sales performance of the Falcon has yet to be discussed by Hasbro.  They certainly aren't going to cite numbers to collectors because of the competitive nature of the toy industry.  But I get the feeling that the $100 threshold is all that the market can truly bear right now.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Yeah, the Falcon's more iconic.  But you'd be hard pressed to find a ship that isn't more iconic than the Falcon.

The Sail Barge is a strong candidate for a number of reasons, the least of which is that it's the doable big ship that hasn't been made before in any context.  I'd buy one, you'd buy one, and kids would love it.

Additionally, Hasbro's been teasing that the new Jabba would be "worth the wait," which combined with that deck cannon leads me to think that it's a definite possibility.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 10, 2009, 11:06 PM »
The Millenium Falcon is FAR more marketable than the Sail Barge.  The Millenium Falcon is much closer to being a household name than the Sail Barge.  That means that it has huge name recognition as well as a visual appeal.  People know precisely what the Falcon is when they see it.

Is anyone actually saying that the Sail Barge is as iconic as the Falcon?  Not that I see.

If it does get made, I think we'll be happy.  That's why some of us like to discuss these sort of things.  Not that we think they're necessarily coming, or that we care to debate which vehicle is more iconic than the other.   

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2009, 11:36 PM »
Additionally, Hasbro's been teasing that the new Jabba would be "worth the wait," which combined with that deck cannon leads me to think that it's a definite possibility.

I definitely wouldn't rule out the Sail Barge anyway, but those are good points Rob that make me think it's even something that Hasbro might have planned as a special surprise.