Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212347 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2009, 06:21 PM »
I still think you'll see a Death Star before you see Jabba's Sailbarge.

Hell, they gave us a new Cloud Car pilot and never put out a Cloud Car for him to fly!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2009, 06:26 PM »

Hell, they gave us a new Cloud Car pilot and never put out a Cloud Car for him to fly!

Yeah but the Cloud Car never exploded on screen.   :D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2009, 07:22 PM »
A Sail Barge is not really comparable to the Millenium Falcon.  You're talking about one vehicle that is more of a set than anything else and plays into about 15 minutes of action in ROTJ and gets minor involvement in the Clone Wars movie.

The AT-TE is a Clone Wars (animated) themed vehicle - not Legacy vehicle (movie) and it was only in two episodes and has no more than just a few minutes of screen time so I think we have a pretty good chance of a Sail Barge.

The AT-TE has screen time in ATTACK OF THE CLONES, REVENGE OF THE SITH, the CLONE WARS movie and multiple Clone Wars episodes.  It's also an action oriented vehicle that lends itself to toy play value. 

The Turbo Tank has significantly less screen time but is being made as well.  Why?  It's an action oriented vehicle that lends itself to play value for kids.  It may very well wind up in the Clone Wars series at some point.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 11, 2009, 07:45 PM »
The AT-TE has screen time in ATTACK OF THE CLONES, REVENGE OF THE SITH, the CLONE WARS movie and multiple Clone Wars episodes.

Very true my friend, but I'm just trying to point out the marketing on these items.  How much screen time in the actual movies did the AT-TE have?  Two minutes maybe - at most?  The Turbo Tank - what 5-10 seconds in ROTS?  I also DO NOT count the Clone Wars as a movie...That was just a messy mess of four animated episodes slapped together so Lucas could buy a new fleet of golf carts.  Not trying to butt heads with you Nick - just trying to make a few points.   ;)

CLONE WARS = Animated
LEGACY = Movie

It's also an action oriented vehicle that lends itself to toy play value.

Anything can have play value if Hasbro puts their minds/hearts/souls into it.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 11, 2009, 08:15 PM »
The AT-TE has screen time in ATTACK OF THE CLONES, REVENGE OF THE SITH, the CLONE WARS movie and multiple Clone Wars episodes.

Very true my friend, but I'm just trying to point out the marketing on these items.  How much screen time in the actual movies did the AT-TE have?  Two minutes maybe - at most?  The Turbo Tank - what 5-10 seconds in ROTS?  I also DO NOT count the Clone Wars as a movie...That was just a messy mess of four animated episodes slapped together so Lucas could buy a new fleet of golf carts.  Not trying to butt heads with you Nick - just trying to make a few points.   ;)

CLONE WARS = Animated
LEGACY = Movie

It's all good.

The thing you're discounting is that when it comes to the vehicles, there really is no distinction between the movies and animated media.  There's a difference in the figures, but that's where it begins and ends.  There's no difference with the vehicles.  Both the animated and movie style figures work with the vehicles.  We're even seeing that train of thought with the deluxe line.  The Clone Wars figures retain their animated look, but the Can Cell looks like it's a reissue of the ROTS Deluxe piece.

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #350 on: February 11, 2009, 08:16 PM »
I don't imagine that Lucas is a golfer...maybe he built, developed, and staffed two new animation studios with the cash.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 11, 2009, 08:21 PM »
I think that Hasbro knocked out the better big vehicles rather quickly. I don't see a Sail Barge or Twilight being released soon but I do see them as more likely candidates. I could see an AT-AT coming in 2010/2011. I'm quite surprised that Hasbro is cranking out the Turbo Tank before any AT-TE repaints. After thinking about it some, I don't think the
Sail Barge is out of the realm of possibility for the 30th Anniversary of ROTJ. (2013) Source material/screen time seems to have less to do with the vehicle choices. It seems to weigh more heavily on who uses it. Clearly Clone Trooper related stuff sells best, no matter what it is. That thinking leads me to believe the AT-AT will be out fairly soon. Overall, the big vehicle well seems a litte skimpy now... Twilight, Sand Crawler, Sail Barge, AT-AT, and MTT are the only ones that stand out as possibilites to be made without getting more into the playset category (Star Destroyer, Death Star) I don't know if this means we might get a new big vehicle every Christmas or if more repaints are due after this Turbo Tank release.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 11, 2009, 08:54 PM »
If the Twilight continues to play a prominent role in the Clone Wars series, I think it's got a better than average shot at being made.  Certainly better than the Sail Barge.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not a Sail Barge hater.  I'd like one just as much as the next collector.  But I think if you try to look at this through Hasbro's eyes, the Sail Barge doesn't have as much mass appeal as some other items.  Hasbro has to be a little ruthless about how they approach things.  They're in this to make money with the Star Wars master toy license.  The development, tooling and marketing costs of a Sail Barge might seriously outweigh the profit potential of a Sail Barge at retail.

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 11, 2009, 10:26 PM »
I could see an AT-AT coming in 2010/2011.

If the line is still performing strongly, I'd expect them to try something like that for the 30th anniversary of ESB next year.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2009, 09:19 AM »

For the love of God, please.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2009, 09:57 AM »
If they ever make a Death Star I will have something to post about in the "Excited by Toys" thread.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 12, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Personally, I think it's a no-brainer that there needs to be some kid interest in the higher ticket items... but I don't think that just because something isn't Clone Wars related or as iconic as the Falcon, that it won't generate interest.

Really though, like someone said earlier in the thread, with a new Jabba apparently coming, the Nikto with the gun attachment, maybe a Sail Barge IS coming?  Maybe this is why Target is holding onto the UBP's in their planogram too, so there's a Sail Barge theme already present with the skiff and Sarlacc Pit?  Just a thought.

And knows... maybe in the Clone Wars, there will be a Tatooine trilogy of episodes where there are several sail barges in "Jabba's Fleet" and one of them is manned by clone troopers or something... I mean why not?  I doubt that ROTJ is the first time Jabba ever took his Sail Barge for a cruise to the Sarlacc Pit... sounds like he's been down that road before with other handfuls of prisoners who've pissed him off.   ;)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2009, 02:51 PM »
While I am sure this item will be cool, I am just not that excited over this one. I think there were better choice to put before it but I understand the CW tie in need. I would have really loved to see a killer play set of a Destroyer Bridge. That way you could use it for either OT or PT. (I understand the aggressive kid appeal factor need so this is purely the illogical, selfish collector in me speaking. I would really geek out on a detailed "setting" more than a vehicle.)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Honestly, I think I'd rather have an Ebon Hawk than a Sail Barge.  Although since it's been so long since the KOTOR release, I dobt it's a priority.

Maybe if more KOTOR figures are made it will spark some interest.  Hell, the HK-47 is the first BAD I'm actually going to try and build!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 22, 2009, 08:21 PM »
Hasbro itīs time your sculptors try a new and bigger rebel transport.

This would be a great challenge for you! Do it Hasbro, make sw collectors smile.