Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 4  (Read 28317 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 4
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2014, 10:47 AM »
In the interest of "research" I snagged the Luke from ebay, if it gets here soon enough, I will post some pics.  I have several Bare Armed Storm Shadow figs over the last few years, I will see if I can do some side by side comparisons.

I did like the swappable heads from the OTC version though.   Also should there be Peg holes in the Handstand Hands?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #46 on: June 4, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Is it weird that no one bothered to ask Hasbro what kind of articulation Yoda had at TF?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 4, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Is it weird that no one bothered to ask Hasbro what kind of articulation Yoda had at TF?

Maybe, maybe not? Personally it seemed safe to assume that Yoda would have the usual ball joint shoulders, ankles, and neck along with swivel hips, waist, and wrists. I think that is the minimum articulation we have been getting on Yoda figures since 2005. I was actually disappointed to see so little articulation on this new Yoda figure.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Amazon has preorders for $10.99 Luke, Yoda and Torryn Farr. There is a japanese import of Darth Plegas for $15.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZEI5LI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CG5X1I0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2014, 01:49 PM »
After seeing the horrible reviews of the Dagobah Luke on various websites and the huge step down in articulation on Yoda, I went ahead and canceled my preorder for this wave on Amazon this morning.  I just can't justify 10 dollars a figure for a sight-unseen purchase on a line with such slipshod quality anymore (nor could I ever; maybe I'm just finally accepting the fact that I don't have to justify something simply because it's Star Wars).  The paint apps are quite simply unacceptable and Hasbro should be ashamed of themselves.  I have more than enough Snowtroopers, and the 2004 OTC Dagobah Luke and Yoda are fine for what they are.  I'll take the 30 dollars I was going to spend on those three figures and use them to buy more Lego, I suppose.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 6, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Oh that Dagobah Luke is terrible, just look at it. It looks like it fell into a blender while you were making a smoothie and it took a couple seconds before you could react and pull the plug. Epic pass.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: July 8, 2014, 02:10 AM »
That's why the OTC one exists.  Me, besides potentially dismal deco, I'm pretty stoked to get something more useful than a miniature GG statue.  :-\  I find Yoda and his horse**** articulation count for $10 to be far more offensive as figures go.  My TVC Yoda will be hitching a ride in the pack I think.

Luke may sport a TVC Bespin Luke head though.  That head...  yeah, ****** paintjobs are pretty tough to fix.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 8, 2014, 11:21 AM »
I find Yoda and his horse**** articulation count for $10 to be far more offensive as figures go.  My TVC Yoda will be hitching a ride in the pack I think.

Don't forget the pack comes with the new Yoda. So to use it you'll still need to buy it.

The pack is disappointing looking to me too though. Just too huge like those Chewie/3PO packs have always been. I'm still waiting for a good looking sculpted version of that, too.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 04:53 PM »

Luke turned out way better than I thought

I really like Yoda even though his arms can't be posed a little bit more...that is a little bit of a bummer but the way he is OK for both a standing and in backpack mode.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:54 PM by Scott »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2014, 06:21 PM »
I NEED TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Luke turned out way better than I thought

Ugh, those elbow joints belong on Marvel/GI Joe knees.

But for those wondering, now we know how Yoda looks in a rebel starfighter flight suit?   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2014, 09:43 PM »
:D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Sounds like the EE order my local buddy made is on its way.  Finally some new friggin' toys to play with! :)  I mean pose.  :-[

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Got my Wave 4 case from EE today.

Luke isn't as bad as the pictures made him out to be. Yes, his elbows are horrible, but I can certainly appreciate what they were trying to do - and that was enable him to bring his hands up and grab the shoulder straps of the backpack - and really, the type of joint they used is the ONLY way to achieve a near 180degree bend in the elbow.

Glad to finally have some NEW figures in-hand.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 06:24 PM »
This wave's at my buddy's that we split a case from EE...  I'm anxious just to have new toys, but this wave knocked out (theoretically) some figures I really was anxious to get before the line implodes.  A posable Dagobah Luke has probably been a top 3 ESB want for myself for a bit.

Yoda, I'll deal with the TVC Yoda in the pack ultimately I think.  Perhaps a little gear exchange.  I'm very dejected though, that they allowed that figure to get so shoddy in terms of articulation.  $10 it is not.  I'd actually say I get more annoyed with that as time rolls along.

I've heard the TBS head swaps to the TVC body pretty well, which is articulated more than enough to suit me ultimately.  I actually thought the TVC head looked pretty good in its own right though, and perhaps TBS's gear will swap to it nicely.   :-\

Luke is just, to me anyway, the articulated one that I wished the OTC one was.  I'll buy several Lukes to display in several poses ultimately. 

The Farr and Snowie COmmander are ok.  The Commander's a little bit of a miff with the plastic skirt making his leg articulation pointless though, so I can see customizing one of mine to have a cloth skirt piece...  Why they'd not go that route is beyond me when the best Snowtrooper they've done has the skirt.

I'm fine with no removable helmet on him too...  It's a neat feature on the TVC Snowtrooper but minor.  Most of my Stormtroopers don't have it.

The Dak figure, while people hate him for some odd reason, he's a great army builder.  I'd probably take a dozen more of him honestly.  He headswaps nicely with the Fleet trooper style heads iirc (Hoth Rebels, Naboo Pilots, Death Star Trooper, Needa, etc.), so I guess I do a lot of mix/match of the heads anyway.  I even whipped up a Keyan Farlander Hoth Pilot.  Pretty neat IMO since he's kind of all over the place (though ironically probably not at Hoth).

It's as solid a wave as Hasbro's made in a while it feels like, and I've not had a new figure to mess with since 2013 plopped Wave 3 out before Xmas (seriously).  So I'm pretty happy.  It looks far more interesting than the non-pant-defiling stuff revealed at SDCC...  which I liked, but it's a bit of a yawner compared to Wave 4 I think.

We'll see what Toy Fair tickles us with.