Author Topic: Jeb Bush keeps the coma going.  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Jeb Bush keeps the coma going.
« on: October 22, 2003, 11:30 AM »
It's been mentioned that some new topics need to be opened over here.  So, how about this one where Jeb Bush the governor of Florida ordered to keep a  comatose girl alive with a food plug.  I don't know much of anything about this at all.  But I did see it on the news briefly last night.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: Jeb Bush keeps the coma going.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 03:24 PM »
My favorite part is that the woman's husband has barred her own family from visiting her. They want her body kept alive, probably just for decoration, regardless of her vegetative state.

God bless Jeb Bush. I hope he's allowed to visit Mrs. Potato Head to truly appreciate the condition he's keeping her in.
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 04:27 PM »
From CNN:
Schiavo suffered brain damage in 1990 when she collapsed from heart failure. She recovered from the heart attack, but oxygen was cut off to her brain. leaving her in what doctors call a "persistent vegetative state." She is responsive to stimuli, doctors have said, but has no significant brain function and cannot feed herself.

It's a tough situation really.  Her parents obviously don't want to let her go, and think there's still a glimmer of hope that she may recover somewhere down the road, and thus their fight to keep her alive.  They say she still "responds" to them, so they're praying for a miracle.

As for her being stuck in the vegetative state, yeah - that's truly horrible, and if she really did tell her husband long ago that she never wanted to be like that, then her wishes should be followed, and she should be allowed to pass away peacefully.  She probably should be granted that regardless.

Very sad story...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 06:52 PM »
The situation is really sad... The husband needs to allow the family to visit her, I don't see that her suffering (if she's aware of anything) would worsen if the family was able to visit her.  :-/ Very sad.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 04:58 PM »
Jeb Bush is such an @ss.

I'm sure she did say she would never want to be like that. I mean, who actually would want to be like that?

The family claims that the husband just wants to remove the feeding tube so he can pursue other relationships. Ya think? She's been like this since 1990. Its not like it was just yesterday. It must feel like being at your wife's wake for over a decade.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 05:31 PM »
It has to be hard though.  The only way she recuperates is via a miracle.  You just don't know if that will happen or not.  A few people do snap out of these things.  Several months ago it was reported in the media that someone did awaken from a 19 year coma.   Of course that person was not 100% healthy at all but he did come out of it.  It's a tough call.