Author Topic: Stupid **** From the Internet Thread.  (Read 306207 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid **** From the Internet Thread.
« Reply #1740 on: March 18, 2008, 12:43 PM »
That's why you get into family history research. How many of you know anything about your great grandparents?

Here is a great search site:  http://www.familysearch.org/
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 18, 2008, 01:30 PM »
That's why you get into family history research. How many of you know anything about your great grandparents?

I know a lot more about my family than that site has to offer.  Only my great-grandfather's death certificate is listed there.  None of my other "greats" or "grands" are listed, neither are my parents or myself, for that matter. ???
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 18, 2008, 01:44 PM »

Oh I've done that too. It was about 25 years ago. My Grandmother and I sat down and drew up a family tree. Many phone calls were placed to get more information. It was fun for the time. But now that it's been 25 years, I can't say that I recall any of there names. For how bad this may sound, the only importance they've had on my life at this point is in being my ancestors. Which brought life to more recent ancestors, etc.

Being that I'm mostly Italian and a little Greek, had my family stayed where they were, if I'd have even come into being, I most likely would have been an Italian farmer at this point. Not a bad life and no worse than what I have now.

It might be nice to know where you've come from, but I think it's ultimately more important to know where you are going to go forward in your life. Had I had this "insight" sooner, I don't think I would have pissed away some of the opportunities I was given, or that I would have just tried that much harder to succeed. Even then, it wouldn't have amounted to much more than being able to buy more stuff. As cramped as I am in my apartment now, I'm still pretty comfortable with where I ended up (so far).

We (Americans) seem to have a problem with material wealth in that we judge others by what they own, rather than the quality of life the other has. Quality of life is not just about material things. That's one thing I CAN say about our ancestors. While they didn't have as much, they still managed for the most part to have fulfilling lives. People 100 years ago got much more excercise, did more outdoors, such as plant their own gardens, and maintain them. Unfortunately (no matter how much we want to say no), we as a nation have generally gotten fat and lazy as things have become easier to own instead of working hard for them and appreciating them more because of it.

Things are going to get much tougher here in the next few years. We are already in a recession with mounting inflation. With other countries so deeply involved within our economy, we can't relie on just ourselves to get ourselves out of this mess. And unfortunately with many countries harboring bitterness towards the U.S. it's only going to make matters worse. Now is the time to seriously consider pinching those pennies. I know for myself I've down that by cutting in half my SW budget, but it may take even more than that in the near future.

The housing market crash "fueled" by the gas crunch (pun intended), has started to have an impact on the stock market. Major long-time GOOD business are going belly up. Investors are getting scared and stocks are starting to be sold off. If a major sell-off occurs, that could put us in a major depression close to if not as bad as the "Great Depression" of the early 20th century. If that happens, forget about SW toys.

Whew, sorry went off topic again, but I've just had this on my mind more this week than any ever before and had to get it out.
-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1743 on: March 18, 2008, 02:23 PM »
I tried the site out but nothing came up. Sadly...I was hoping for something.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #1744 on: March 18, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Ancestry.com Is better.
Our family records got toasted During WW2 so everything past my great grandparents on my mothers side are gone. However I was actually able to find 1 or 2 generations back even farther using Ancestry. Great site. But you do have to pay after a 3 day trial :-\ its like 20 bucks a year.

Edit: Its a 14 day trial now.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:05 PM by Smartypants1635 »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 18, 2008, 03:51 PM »

Well Christ. I wish I had never looked up this link.

I just found out my father died 3 years ago. I lost touch with him a couple of years before that.
Also found out that the woman he was with at the time (who I knew as his girlfriend) he married. That's was good, because she was a good woman for him, but...then I found that she died a year before him. So suffice to say it's been a crappy afternoon for me.

I haven't seen/spoken to my mom since 2002. So I looked her up, albeit with a great bit of trepidation considering what I had just learned. I did find her phone number on the net and called it. I got her answering machine so at the least I know she's still alive. I DID leave my number for her to call me if she wants.

So maybe while I got some pretty crappy news today, this will turn out for the better if I have at least a chance to reconnect with my mom.

Please folks let this be an important lesson to you as well. No matter how long it's been or if there's been or still is bad blood between you and your family, make the time right now to talk with them. Even if you don't iron out your differences (if you have problems like that), at the least you made an effort.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 18, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss Sal. I think looking up your ancestors is a good idea. It gives you perspective by showing you how your ancestors decisions affected your current life. This also makes you  think about how the decisions you make now will affect future generations.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1747 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01 PM »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 29, 2008, 01:33 PM »
You know I'm just teed off about that!  :P

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #1749 on: March 29, 2008, 03:03 PM »
I really do want one of those.
I love golf, and this way I can REPRESENT on the course lol :P

Online Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 29, 2008, 09:30 PM »
 >:(, only a wood model is available for demonstration now???  I was hoping to actually get one.

135K for a basic unit - It better protect me from the dark side of the force and lightsaber attacks too.  Very deserving to be in this thread.   ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28 PM »
Not really stupid but painful... sports painful. Yeah this will make us guys eyes water .  :o

Brian Jerling gets it in the nuts!

Different angles

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: April 15, 2008, 11:44 PM »