Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 159559 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #375 on: March 6, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Instead of giving us a crappy Mando Warrior we could have gotten an SA AOTC Boba.

You serious, Clark? 

HAHAHA NICE! I use "are you serious Clark?" all the time.

Anyway, I personally enjoy the Mando Warrior.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 6, 2008, 02:41 PM »
I agree, I'd like to see a lot of these single carded down the road as well, and hopefully we will.  When we get SA, "ultimate" versions of the main characters - whether it is in the VTSC, Evolutions or even basic line - I sometimes like to pick up an extra, so I've been on the fence with what to do with these recent Evolutions sets.  I'll probably pick up another Fett set if/when I see it, because I like the Boba and Jango (and the Mando figure is actually a pretty nice figure), and I'll wait on the Qui-Gon.

I've said it before, but I wish figures like this is what they would release in a Saga Legends assortment.  They are fine in the basic line as well, but if they really want to have the main characters out there all the time, I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup of some of these:

VOTC Han Solo
EB Chewbacca
VOTC/Evo Boba Fett
VOTC Stormtrooper/Snowtrooper/Biker Scout
Evo Darth Maul
Evo Emperor Palpatine (maybe like the upcoming Order 66 paint apps)
Evo Anakin (AOTC/ROTS)
Evo Jango Fett
ROTS Obi-Wan
Evo Qui Gon
VTSC Luke (X-Wing/Bespin)
Evo Vader
R2-D2 (R4-G9 repaint)
Saga Legends/Clone Wars AOTC Clonetrooper
etc., etc., etc.

Obviously, there are others as well, but just a few off the top of my head.  Like I said, they could just have them in regular assortments as well for all I care, but I'd just like to see these figures available in the basic line.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2008, 02:42 PM by Brian »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 6, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Diddly, I think you have a valid point... I really don't care for the Luke at all... I don't agree with the example of Mandalore (I'm not sure what else would really fit in this set... to me it's VERY refreshing to see a Mando that's not in the typical Fett type helmet)...

There's really only one figure that I think sucks out of these new ones, and that's the Maul (Luke being a close second)... but at least they make good custom fodder.

Also, if you get a Fett set and don't want Mandalore, I'll trade you a Qui Gon for him.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #378 on: March 6, 2008, 03:15 PM »
I actually agree with Diddly, at least on the Mandalore (Not so much Luke, who I enjoy as a figure of a main hero's progression)...  But Diddly already supplied a pretty good replacement "fit" for the set, over the mandalore...  SA AOTC Boba Fett.  Why overlook a figure who was A) in a movie (quite a bit), and B) who has a pretty sad current basic figure... 

It may have left a little extra room for accessories too, since it would be a smaller figure.  For that, I could stand getting a nice new Boba from AOTC.  The Mandalore's a nice figure for what it is, but it doesn't really fit with anything in the collection so it's not my favorite of the series by far.

As far as the pricing goes, figures are $6.99 here Brent, so the Evolutions sets really aren't sticker shock to US collectors.  At least they weren't to me. 

Actually, the Evo sets are a hair under what you'd pay for 3 figures at retail here, after tax and all.  It's a matter of cents though, and if you're buying them at $6.99 each.  WM's $6.63, but everyone else is $6.99 or more.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 6, 2008, 03:39 PM »
Eh, I'd say save an AOTC Boba brat for a regular carded release.  But, either way I wouldn't care as long as Mandalore was available in some fashion.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 6, 2008, 03:41 PM »
As far as the pricing goes, figures are $6.99 here Brent, so the Evolutions sets really aren't sticker shock to US collectors.  At least they weren't to me. 

The Walmarts in my area are all $6.63, except for one which is around $5.88 still.  Target and TRU are higher though as usual.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 6, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Ugh, another baby Boba?  Yeah, I agree that the two previous releases leave something to be desired.  No, I don't agree we need another figure of that incarnation of Boba.  Ever. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 6, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Agreed.  I can't see a majority of the collectors / kids wanting Boba Brat over a cool looking EU guy.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 6, 2008, 04:12 PM »
they will probably just make a Teen boba for the new TV show...
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 6, 2008, 10:55 PM »
I can't see a majority of the collectors / kids wanting Boba Brat over a cool looking EU guy.

Exactly.  The prospect of having a SA baby Boba figure is about as exciting as having a SA TPM Annie figure.  Of course, down the line, maybe Hasbro will make a Bratty Kid Evolutions set with both of those figs included.

Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #385 on: March 6, 2008, 11:29 PM »

The Walmarts in my area are all $6.63, except for one which is around $5.88 still.  Target and TRU are higher though as usual.

Actually, the Evo sets are a hair under what you'd pay for 3 figures at retail here, after tax and all.  It's a matter of cents though, and if you're buying them at $6.99 each.  WM's $6.63, but everyone else is $6.99 or more.

Am I missing how I neglected to point that out, and that it's a matter of cents?  I guess if the $.36/figure difference can constitute "sticker shock" than my post was completely off-base...  but, really, was it?

As far as Boba Brat goes...

I wasn't really whoring an idea for Hasbro as much as I was saying what I felt made more sense and was more appealing to me personally.  Did the Mandalore really tickle that many people's fancy that the set was made or broken by that figure's inclusion?  I'm not an EU fanatic to know even who he was, so I personally would've preferred a Boba Brat with maybe some extra accessories packed in to make up the difference was all...  Maybe a new Jetpack with removable rockets for Jango (the original pack he uses), perhaps the extra effort for moving range-finders.  Either way, Hasbro could've included some pretty lame piece in that set and still sold it based on the two Fett's in it.

To me the little Boba and Mandalore have about equal "interesting" factor, but that's me.  I would've taken a film figure that needed a resculpt (but would be pegwarming fodder on its own) in the set then.  The Mandalore's not a bad figure mind you, it's just nothing I'd want myself as much as I'd like a decent Boba Fett since that wide-legged figure looks a little silly to me.  Not to mention the base wouldn't be bad for Clone Youth figures...  Which again I wouldn't mind another one of those if there was a way Hasbro could put two out in a pack together or something.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 6, 2008, 11:40 PM »
I just had a thought, it would be kinda cool  to have an evo set of the Solo kids, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 7, 2008, 12:39 AM »
To me the little Boba and Mandalore have about equal "interesting" factor, but that's me.  I would've taken a film figure that needed a resculpt (but would be pegwarming fodder on its own) in the set then.

This is what I was getting at in my earlier post. I follow selected EU (SOTE, KOTOR 1, Thrawn Trilogy and Clone Wars cartoon, if you must know) so of course I'd rather have a movie figure instead of something I'm not familiar with. The Mando doesn't look like a bad figure, but yeah, if given the choice I'd take Boba Brat over him any day of the week.

And CHEWIE, thanks for the trade offer, but when I find both sets I've decided I'll keep all the figures. The Jedi are good enough to keep, and I'll just throw the Mando in somewhere on my shelf.

I can't see a majority of the collectors / kids wanting Boba Brat over a cool looking EU guy.

Exactly.  The prospect of having a SA baby Boba figure is about as exciting as having a SA TPM Annie figure.  Of course, down the line, maybe Hasbro will make a Bratty Kid Evolutions set with both of those figs included.

Heh, I actually want a SA TPM Annie. :-X
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #388 on: March 7, 2008, 12:47 AM »
The Mando doesn't look like a bad figure,

As figure's go, it's pretty outstanding...  :)  But as my interests go, it's pretty low on that list.  Equally I would say Darth Bane isn't high on my list.  I don't really care to have him, and I easily could've replaced Bane with a lot of other Sithy figures I'd probably have liked more.

And I'm with you on Anakin...  Like him or hate him, he is Anakin, and he is from a movie...  I kinda wouldn't mind a definitive one.  But like Kitster and Wald, he'd be better in some kind of 2-pack.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 7, 2008, 08:50 AM »
I wasn't really whoring an idea for Hasbro as much as I was saying what I felt made more sense and was more appealing to me personally.  Did the Mandalore really tickle that many people's fancy that the set was made or broken by that figure's inclusion?  I'm not an EU fanatic to know even who he was, so I personally would've preferred a Boba Brat with maybe some extra accessories packed in to make up the difference was all...  Maybe a new Jetpack with removable rockets for Jango (the original pack he uses), perhaps the extra effort for moving range-finders.  Either way, Hasbro could've included some pretty lame piece in that set and still sold it based on the two Fett's in it.

To me the little Boba and Mandalore have about equal "interesting" factor, but that's me.  I would've taken a film figure that needed a resculpt (but would be pegwarming fodder on its own) in the set then.  The Mandalore's not a bad figure mind you, it's just nothing I'd want myself as much as I'd like a decent Boba Fett since that wide-legged figure looks a little silly to me.  Not to mention the base wouldn't be bad for Clone Youth figures...  Which again I wouldn't mind another one of those if there was a way Hasbro could put two out in a pack together or something.

I agree with you Jesse.  For me personally, I'd just as soon have had an all-new SA Boba Brat as well.  The Mandalore is a nice figure, and actually pretty spiffy, but for me personally - I would rather see all new movie-based figures than EU stuff.  Like you said, Jango and adult Boba are really the selling points of this pack for most collectors/buyers, so the third slot probably could have been filled by almost anyone.  Plus, with so many people down on "little Annie" and Boba Brat, an Evo pack might be the best place to put out figures like this, since it sounds like they would sit on the pegs as singled carded figures - judging by people's opinions here.  Like you said, the Mandalore is a really nice figure.  I was surprised at how nice it was when I opened that set up, its just not a character I know anything about.