Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 100426 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NFL Regular Season 2009
« Reply #420 on: October 20, 2009, 01:44 AM »
No, but they sure can rely on their defense... Take away the Sproles punt return and the defense only let up 16 points in the game, 3 in the second half. This D has only let in ten second half points, and allowed 2 third down conversions (plus one more via penalty) in the the second half. That's amazing stuff.
"This is the way."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Denver is for real and McDaniels is one helluva coach - completely driven to win.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 20, 2009, 10:21 AM »
The Broncos had a great game tonight.  After beating the Cowboys, Patriots and the Chargers they've shown that they are the real deal!

Amen - that was another solid Monday night game.  Too bad they didn't get Marshall more involved.  A win is a win, but tonight's effort was really driven by the special teams performance.  They won't be able to rely on 2 E. Royal kick returns for TDs every week.   ;)

I'd say their defense is why they won. Obviously the kick returns helped, but they won't need to have those with that second half defense.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 21, 2009, 12:01 AM »
I want to know what happened to Philly against Oakland.  What the heck was that?

I think they let a couple high school teams step in for them this week. That. Was. Pathetic.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #424 on: October 25, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Good game between the Steelers and Vikes today.  Way closer than I thought with Winfield out.  I thought for sure the Steelers were going to pass a lot more.  The Steelers D played really well.  I didn't think the Vikings were going to win this one so I wasn't expecting much.  Too bad a couple of bad calls (the tripping specifcally) there at the end sort soured the game...oh well

BTW...AP running over Gay was probably the play of the decade

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #425 on: October 25, 2009, 10:45 PM »
Good game between the Steelers and Vikes today.  Way closer than I thought with Winfield out.  I thought for sure the Steelers were going to pass a lot more.  The Steelers D played really well.  I didn't think the Vikings were going to win this one so I wasn't expecting much.  Too bad a couple of bad calls (the tripping specifcally) there at the end sort soured the game...oh well

BTW...AP running over Gay was probably the play of the decade

I agree that was a great game but ultimately what I expected, but we gave up of yardage in terms of defensive penalties. The Steelers can sure throw some hits out there but like you said, Peterson stuffing Gay's head in his own ass was damn amazing.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:05 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 26, 2009, 12:04 AM »
Pretty tough game to win for the Vikes.  Between playing in Pitt, no Winfield, a banged up Peterson, AND losing Berrian in the game, that was going to be an uphill battle no doubt.  I was definitely surprised to see the Steelers throw so little, but it's not like they ran a lot either.  The Vikes really controlled the ball most of the game - pretty hard to overcome two defense TDs at the end though. 

On the bright side, the Packers crushed Cleveland today.  Entirely expected, but it's nice to have back-to-back blow outs all the same.  Can't wait to see the big rematch next week!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #427 on: October 26, 2009, 03:24 AM »
To Gay's credit, he wasn't in good position/broken down to do much...   >:(  But, yeah, he pretty well got slammed there.

As far as the Steeler's passing game, they're in a weird place right now where the pass game works, and our run game sometimes does and sometimes doesn't, and we're wanting to still be a team that at least splits it evenly I think.  Today our o-line looked bad on anything but pass-blocking again...  The last couple weeks was the exact opposite where they were opening massive holes and the lead-blocking from anyone was really outstanding, coupled with a very good passing game...  this week simply did not have that.

Polamalu was/is banged up pretty bad and he's considered the heart of the defense (with the linebackers the soul), so it was nice to see him (even in a brace) put on a good performance.  They didn't run him the same as they usually do though, and it was evident with him being sometimes 30 yards off a play...  Very conservative for a guy that's usually all over the field.

Favre played great despite the turnovers... I really liked watching him, and the local radio guys said it was nice for the local crowd to get a chance to see Favre, and see Favre play well, before he's retired (actually).  Actually the Vikings controlled the ball a lot and had the most yards, but I think the defensive play by the Steelers was what stole the show was all.  Roethlisberger was good today and big when he had to be, and our run game was non-existant which is a future concern, as it is every week.  I still like Mendenhal better than Parker, but that's me.  Some weeks you can count on it and others you can tell it's just going to be a long day for the D, or Ben's gotta pull magic out his ass.

I really enjoyed the game though, overall...  There were some bad calls too and that trip was a rip-off for the Vikings.  The closest the Steelers had was the non-existant pass interference against Miller that really screwed us on a big play too.  That tripping call was very dumb though for sure.

All in all I think this was the better game of the weekend...  At least that I saw anyway.  It was very enjoyable I thought.  And I think if the Steelers aren't in it I'll be pulling for MN because I've really liked them this year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 26, 2009, 10:03 AM »
I wasn't expecting my Dolphins to beat the Saints, since I figured Drew Brees would pass like crazy on our craptastic secondary (which is what happened in the end).  The way we lost is what sucks, since we were up 24 - 3 in the 2nd quarter and ended up losing. >:( ::) :P  Oh well, hopefully we can take care of business against the Jets again this week like we did a couple of weeks ago. :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 26, 2009, 10:47 AM »
That Miami game was awful.  They were doing such a good job of keeping Brees contained, but the Brees-Colston combo is unstoppable.  Weird seeing Brees rush for 2 TDs as well given all of the talent they have at RB.  At least Miami put up a good fight in the first half!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 26, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Bears stink.

That is all.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 26, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Yeah, Bears were crap.  The Cardinals looked okay beating the Giants though. I am sure Eli will get the total blame though.  It's all about Eli when it comes to the Giants.  Their world revolves around him.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #432 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41 PM »
Turnovers killed the Giants.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #433 on: November 1, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Outside of the Vikings not being able to cover a LB...old fashioned ass whoopin.  You guys remember that Farve used to play for the Packers?  They didn't want him anymore

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 1, 2009, 07:54 PM »
That booing was a farce.  Packer fans should be embarrassed.