Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 215322 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Snow!
« Reply #540 on: January 6, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Our first snowstorm of the season is pretty much wrapped up now.  I think we ended up with about 8" on the ground or so, with lots of wind and drifting.  Streets still aren't the best, but it could have been much worse (and many of you have seen much worse already).  Nice to have some snow on the ground, it is winter after all, but they could clear these streets anytime and it would be fine with me ;).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #541 on: January 6, 2005, 04:30 PM »
I think we have about 10-12 inches of this **** here.

I didn't go anywhere yesterday, but I did today. The roads aren't that bad, it's just the parking lots at Target and Wal-Mart that are horrendous.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #542 on: January 6, 2005, 04:38 PM »
I don't ever get to participate in this thread living in "Sunny Southern California".  ;)

BUT, I finally have the privelege of announcing that we had some snow just 15 minutes away from us in a couple different directions this past week.  Been COLD out here, and we've had a ton of storms for the past week and a half.  So the combination of those two surprisingly covered most of our local mountain tops in white, down to about 2,500 feet.  Yeah, technically nothing on the ground here, but hell, this is as close as we've come in many years!  They've even had to shut down some of our main freeways here due to the snow.

Cool!  I'm almost like you guys now!   8)

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 6, 2005, 04:52 PM »

I didn't go anywhere yesterday, but I did today. The roads aren't that bad, it's just the parking lots at Target and Wal-Mart that are horrendous.

It's funny, the first places cleared around here are those exact same parking lots. 

Cool! I'm almost like you guys now! 8)

:P

Shut.  Up. 

It warmed up here today.  I usually post the am conditions, but was out driving around until now (did you know in this **** your car never actually warms up?)

-20°C
A few clouds FEELS LIKE   -33°C
WIND   S 31 km/h
GUSTS   44 km/h
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   77%
DEWPOINT   -23°C
PRESSURE   100.30 kPa 
VISIBILITY   19 km
CEILING   unlimited

Oh look, it is warmer ::)

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #544 on: January 6, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I'd also like to note that when I was out in Minnesota a couple months ago, that it was actually WARMER than SoCal at that time.  Very disappointing.  I think you guys must all be lying about this "snow" stuff you keep babbling about...   ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #545 on: January 6, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Sounds like you have more snow in Cali right now as well :-X

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 6, 2005, 05:13 PM »
I'd also like to note that when I was out in Minnesota a couple months ago, that it was actually WARMER than SoCal at that time.  Very disappointing.  I think you guys must all be lying about this "snow" stuff you keep babbling about...   ::)

Come visit me, big fella.  I'll buy your beer and give you a place to stay. 

I dare you. :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #547 on: January 6, 2005, 05:25 PM »
One beer?  ::)  Make it a Guinness 4-pack, and I may consider it.

Or, how 'bout you come down here?  I dare you...

Or maybe we can just meet somewhere half way in between?  Like say... Indy?   8)
« Last Edit: January 6, 2005, 05:28 PM by JediMAC »

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 6, 2005, 05:27 PM »
I live in south-central Nebraska.  The skies cleared overnight and we are digging out now.

Storm totals :
14.7 " of snow
3-4' snow drifts
last night was -8 with wind chill of -25

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 6, 2005, 05:29 PM »
***** :-*

I suppose somewhere in your dictionary the plural of beer is beers?  Ok, here's the deal, I'll put you up at our house, we'll feed you and I'll take you out drinking, at least two nights.  I'll buy all your damn Guiness if you drag your sorry ass up here in the dead of winter?  Of course with my luck, we'll get  a heat wave.  But even that won't melt this boatload of snow around here.  

I was cursing the damn guy that plowed our street.  For the second year in a row he basically scraped away about 20 square feet of our lawn.  In addition he left me a nice foot deep and four foot wide swatch of compressed snow (read: ice) to shovel out since my Altima didn't come with four wheel drive.  Had to use two different shovels and a bloody axe to get rid of that **** >:(

I'll be down to San Diego in 2006, good enough?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #550 on: January 6, 2005, 05:47 PM »

Really?  When?  What for?  Bugs?

LMK, and we'll definitely get together!  It's about 2 1/2 hours away, but I can probably manage.  Assuming the "all the beer you want" offer is still on the table!  Or does that only apply to Canada?   :P

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 6, 2005, 06:03 PM »
Ice Storm out my way now.  Nothing like a 2 hour commute home at 20 mph :(  And I only live about 35 miles from my job. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 6, 2005, 06:46 PM »

Really?  When?  What for?  Bugs?

LMK, and we'll definitely get together!  It's about 2 1/2 hours away, but I can probably manage.  Assuming the "all the beer you want" offer is still on the table!  Or does that only apply to Canada?   :P

Only applies to Winnipeg.  In winter. 

As for 2006, fall, either November or possibly early December (I guess that's kind of wintery?).  And yes, bugs.  Entomological Society of America meetings.  Can't remember the name of the place, but it's on hotel circle.  When I find the name again, I'll let you know. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 7, 2005, 09:23 AM »

I think we ended up with around 10 now too, from what I'm hearing.  Hard to tell with the drifting, but plenty of snow either way.  I will echo what Ben said about the parking lots.  It is crazy how people drive/park when weather like this hits.  We ran to Wal-Mart yesterday, and the aisle (to drive in) between the rows of parked cars was so narrow you could barely fit through.  It is funny how chaos seems to set in when people can't "see the lines".  It was a mess.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 10, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Not to bad thus far.

Temp.:  -18°C 
Pressure:  101.7 kPa 
Visibility:  24km 
Humidity:  79% 
DewPoint:  -21°C 
Wind:  0 km/h

A little cooler during the week:

Today .. A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent chance of flurries early this morning. Wind becoming northwest 20 km/h this morning. High minus 14.
Tonight .. Cloudy periods. Low minus 16.
Tuesday .. Cloudy. Periods of light snow beginning in the morning. Wind becoming northeast 20 km/h in the afternoon. High minus 14.
Wednesday .. A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 30. High minus 26.
Thursday .. Sunny. Low minus 32. High minus 23.
Friday .. Sunny. Windy. Low minus 31. High minus 23

Last night it was minus 23 and a bit of a wind, cuts right through you. 

Roads are not great ethier, lots of black ice!  :-\