Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249990 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #630 on: May 24, 2016, 11:06 AM »
They're mostly only mentioned in fairy tales and legends.  The only actual part they've played in the books is in the cave with Bran.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 24, 2016, 01:19 PM »
I have this weird feeling that they are going to turn Sansa into a character who we'll all be happy to see get hers. They have taken so many characters the other way (all the Lannisters, Marjorie, the Dog)...  Maybe Balish contracts with the man with no name to get rid of Jon Snow for her and Arya is sent to handle to deed?  Maybe once she finds that he has a legit claim to the throne?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #632 on: May 24, 2016, 01:45 PM »
I was thinking - if everyone knows about the Faceless, how come people haven't put out contracts on all their rivals?  The Lannisters pay the price on the Sand Snakes - boom!  Deed done. 

That'd lead to the conclusion that they're not all that well-known.  Maybe even secret.  But if nobody knows about the Faceless, how do they found Bravos and get to live in a big ol' temple?

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 24, 2016, 02:59 PM »
I was thinking - if everyone knows about the Faceless, how come people haven't put out contracts on all their rivals?  The Lannisters pay the price on the Sand Snakes - boom!  Deed done. 

That'd lead to the conclusion that they're not all that well-known.  Maybe even secret.  But if nobody knows about the Faceless, how do they found Bravos and get to live in a big ol' temple?

Yeah, it can't be as simple as just paying some cash and having your rivals killed.

According to the GoT Wiki -
The Faceless Men charge exorbitant fees, but their reputation for success is unmatched. The cost increases relative to the importance of the target and the difficulty of the objective. In the first book it is said that hiring a Faceless Man to kill Daenerys Targaryen would cost more than it would to hire an entire army. Further, the Faceless Men will reject a contract if killing the target clashes with their strange and at times inscrutable religious beliefs

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 29, 2016, 08:24 PM »
So overwhelmed by last week's episode, I couldn't even post about it.  :D

That was some great stuff...hard to even remember anything else after the Night's King showed up.

Am guessing he somehow ties into the reason the White Walkers got out of control, definitely does not resemble the rest of them.

How did they get the ability to create other white walkers though, as shown with Craster's baby earlier? Or wights for that matter? Or is that just something that came courtesy of the Night's King?

freaking Hodor, heartbreaking. His whole life was basically fixated on that one purpose no one even realized until the end. Will he end up as a gigantic wight this week though?

They sure got there in a hurry from Hardhome. Guess they are waiting for winter to really hit before making the push south.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 31, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Is Sunday's show the first time nobody (other than zombies) got killed?  It felt kind of wrong not to have someone die.

Lots of story lines left out this week too.  Definitely a different vibe to Sunday's show.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 31, 2016, 02:44 PM »
It was a week of long awaited returns!

Very happy they gave us back Benjen and none of that "Cold Hands" red herring stuff. Guy knows how to make an entrance!

We finally got back to Walter Frey after forever too. Man, that wretched old goat cannot die soon, or violently, enough. His justice has been a long time coming and I am thinking it will be sweet. It had better be.

Also good to see little brother Tully and the mention of Blackfish. Surprised the Lannisters would agree to send a force to the Riverlands but I guess they pay their debts and all that. Puts Jamie on a collision course with Brienne again, on opposite sides.

Littlefinger should take his Knights of the Vale back down there too, can't imagine he is very happy with Frey killing the love of his life.

Sam's dad was an unbelievable prick, as expected. I was hoping he would stand up to him at dinner but no such luck. At least he wised up and got Gilly and Sam Jr out of there.  And nicked the sword. (What's up with all these minor houses like the Tarleys and Moormonts rocking the Valerian steel anyway?)

Everything with Arya the past two seasons feels like a complete waste of time now. How do they give one of the best characters the absolute crappiest storyline? Get her back to Westeros kicking ass please.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 31, 2016, 04:12 PM »
Everything with Arya the past two seasons feels like a complete waste of time now. How do they give one of the best characters the absolute crappiest storyline? Get her back to Westeros kicking ass please.

It'll be interesting to see how the whole Braavos storyline ultimately plays out.  I agree.  This might turn out to be the largest waste of screen time in the series.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #638 on: June 1, 2016, 07:44 AM »
I don't know - did she learn how to murder better?  That might serve some purpose.  The best I can tell, she learned how to get beaten by a stick.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #639 on: June 1, 2016, 12:50 PM »
I feel the Arya, Sansa and Dany stories all smack of GRR not doing three books as originally planned and now milking it out further and further...the whole unite the slaves of Essos is dumb and rather redundant.  At least she is now doing something with her Khal

Same goes for the wanderings of Sansa and Arya, sure they have grown and become wiser etc but its been soooo drawn out to the point of where it gets ridiculous.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 1, 2016, 04:13 PM »
I only started watching the show three weeks ago and finally got all caught up yesterday. I can't imagine how you guys have endured watching this from the start, with weeks between episodes and years between seasons. Jesus.

Anyway, I think it's a great show and I really enjoyed binging on the whole series. Seasons 1-4 were really good, but 5 kind of lulled, and so far 6 is just okay (relative to 1-4), but the entire series has been incredibly entertaining. Binging it like I have, Arya's development and progression as a character hasn't seemed as stunted as I imagine it would drawn out over two and a half years. She's my favorite (well, since Ned got his head chopped off anyway). Even watching through a binge marathon, Dany does a lot of the same things over and over but she's pretty cool and I can't wait until she inevitably marries Jon Snow and unites the realms. Or they both die gruesome, permanent deaths and then Tyrion becomes king. Or Margaery becomes queen. Or everybody gets killed by White Walkers. Pretty sure it will end up one of those ways.

Anyway, pretty much I'm just posting because you guys are dicks for not telling me about this show five years ago and for hogging it all to yourselves.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #641 on: June 2, 2016, 03:20 PM »
Awe ****, Ryan found out!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #642 on: June 2, 2016, 05:28 PM »
Ryan, other things that are good/cool...Boobs, Whiskey, Steak, Football

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #643 on: June 2, 2016, 07:20 PM »
And Star Wars toys...  Well not "cool" I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 2, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Ryan, other things that are good/cool...Boobs, Whiskey, Steak, Football

He's probably figured out the boobs thing with Game of Thrones.